Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by cvp View Post
Dave999 + mikelima

no chance. It's definitely 100% the final hardware. There is nothing changed.

Perhaps when the next Jolla tablet 2 comes out
That is such and complete disappointment if true. Jolla will reach 2.5 M and would do it even faster with 3g. They should open that option. The tablet would go from something that will collect dust to something useful. Or i might Simply returen it.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2015-01-29 at 16:43.

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin
Dave999
We had last year a chance to 3G. But the development of a product must have an end. The devices have to now be mass produced so the date can be met in May 2015.
Therefore, even a finely cut was made and added some improvement.
no company can send up to the last moment developing and valid for 1 month to the buyers.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cvp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by Drekkie View Post
Not happy at all about the lack of Windows support for larger cards after watching how that whole debate unfolded here.
Same here though I'm using a Mac and an Olympus camera with exFAT cards.

And no, FAT32 is simply not acceptable.

I'd be disappointed that they'd listened to the Linux fundamentalists instead of the 95% who don't use Linux if I hadn't already decided to sit the tablet beta out.

I bought a Sony Z3 compact tablet instead as I need something reliable for a month long cycle tour. It being waterproof, supporting my camera and having loads of mapping software to choose from easily swung that decision.

I really can't work Jolla out though now. On the one hand they're saying that not supporting ExFAT is in line with their open ethos and on the other we've still not got a working CalDAV or a working CardDAV implementation. Instead we're syncing through fricking Google and Microsoft. They need to walk the walk.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by cvp View Post
Dave999
We had last year a chance to 3G. But the development of a product must have an end. The devices have to now be mass produced so the date can be met in May 2015.
Therefore, even a finely cut was made and added some improvement.
no company can send up to the last moment developing and valid for 1 month to the buyers.
Yes, but they could open the option when 2.5 is reached a 3G version could be shiped 4 month later. And ship this basic version in may. That would triggar the community to help spredding the Word more laud and faster.

Also gps seems to have dissapeard since last year. What about gps/glonass? That toghter With 3G is a killer combination called navigation.

With some work from jolla toghter With community we would easly reach 2.5 in 2 weeks.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2015-01-29 at 17:02.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
I'd be disappointed that they'd listened to the Linux fundamentalists instead of the 95% who don't use Linux if I hadn't already decided to sit the tablet beta out.
I agree, you're absolutely right. I have no idea why Jolla didn't simply look at the current market, examine what other companies are building, and simply copy every single design decision made by the most popular tablet builders. Their best bet would have been to create a tablet absolutely identical to an iPad, or at least a Samsung Galaxy or the like. Just what are they thinking, trying to make their own design decisions for their own reasons? Ridiculous!

I bought a Sony Z3 compact tablet instead as I need something reliable for a month long cycle tour.
Exactly! If Jolla's first experimental device isn't as reliable and functional as those on the market today that have already gone through several generations of design and improvements, I'm going to be really really mad.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 586 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Same here though I'm using a Mac and an Olympus camera with exFAT cards.

And no, FAT32 is simply not acceptable.

I bought a Sony Z3 compact tablet instead as I need something reliable for a month long cycle tour. It being waterproof, supporting my camera and having loads of mapping software to choose from easily swung that decision.

I really can't work Jolla out though now. On the one hand they're saying that not supporting ExFAT is in line with their open ethos and on the other we've still not got a working CalDAV or a working CardDAV implementation. Instead we're syncing through fricking Google and Microsoft. They need to walk the walk.
You can use some software to read/write EXT2/3/4 formats on every OS and no stupid size limits!

I think EXT2/3/4 was really good dissension! No money to M$ for using some formats!

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Makeclick View Post
You can use some software to read/write EXT2/3/4 formats on every OS and no stupid size limits!

I think EXT2/3/4 was really good dissension! No money to M$ for using some formats!
Can't believe people around here are so short sighted. Yes, I can, but 95% cannot and I can't understand why they should.
Jolla can't profit from Linux geeks only.

EDIT: I could imagine a scenario where it would work:

When formatting the card in Jolla, it would create a small FAT partition with either Jolla Suite that would include EXT4 drivers for Windows, or just the driver. The installation dialog would pop up whenever you'd connect the card/tablet to the computer and check for the driver's presence was unsuccessful.
But how it is with the stability of these drivers?

Last edited by nodevel; 2015-01-29 at 18:13.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin
i think its moooore less from 95%
we creat a how to for windows / MAC user in different lang and good is.

for me its fine. I use linux and i will post in german lang a how to on my website

The Following User Says Thank You to cvp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
It is compatible out of the box until 32 GB Flash memory.
And you can make it compatible formatting the bigger SD-Card with Fat32.
Only limitations: You can't do that with windows, but you can use a live-CD for that. And files bigger than 4GB are not supported.
http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/ind...?guiformat.htm

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I'm really happy that Jolla decided to drop the useless-to-me exfat licencing scheme and went for larger battery and option for extending the internal drive size. $25 is really good bargain for 32GB->64GB extension. Compare that for example to the price difference in the N9 vrsions having 16GB and 64GB...

Thanks!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:

Tags
indiegogo, jolla, jolla tablet