Posts: 53 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ san jose, california
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
careful! its a listing for the Euro model, not the NAM or TMO model. No AWS or at&t 3G
Crap!! didn't even think of that!

Big thanks for the heads up - need to be less emotional about my purchase and check out ALL the facts.

cheers!

careful! its a listing for the Euro model, not the NAM or TMO model. No AWS or at&t 3G
Actually, the N900 is listed as having Tri-Band UMTS support, meaning that even the Euro models will support AWS. So there shouldn't be any issues with using it in the US on T-Mobile.

However, Nokia only covers warranty for a device in the region/country that it was bought in. In other words, if you buy a Nokia phone from the UK and try to claim warranty in the US, you're out of luck. You would have to send the device to a Nokia service center in the UK to get a replacement or have it repaired. So there is that to consider.

Last edited by BadMojoUT; 2009-08-29 at 04:23.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BadMojoUT For This Useful Post:
Posts: 283 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ US Air Force
Originally Posted by BadMojoUT View Post
Actually, the N900 is listed as having Tri-Band UMTS support, meaning that even the Euro models will support AWS. So there shouldn't be any issues with using it in the US on T-Mobile.

However, Nokia only covers warranty for a device in the region/country that it was bought in. In other words, if you buy a Nokia phone from the UK and try to claim warranty in the US, you're out of luck. You would have to send the device to a Nokia service center in the UK to get a replacement or have it repaired. So there is that to consider.
thanks for clearing that up, i was getting worried since i just placed my pre- ordre with expansys ( i think it the uk version is why).

so out side the warranty i shouldnt have any issues or see any major differences in the version i get and the US version when it comes available?

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
599,00 € = 859,9843 U.S. dollars

can NOT afford for a phone. I will have to wait for it to come down or hope and pray it will be cheaper somehow in US
- You can get a mobile phone for 20$.
- This is MUCH more than a phone and that is why it is expensive. I call it the Superphone :-) Don't expect the world to be free.
- Waiting might help
- Praying probably won't

Originally Posted by jalladin View Post
thanks for clearing that up, i was getting worried since i just placed my pre- ordre with expansys ( i think it the uk version is why).

so out side the warranty i shouldnt have any issues or see any major differences in the version i get and the US version when it comes available?
Correct. There are minor differences in the bundling of software. I've seen NAM handsets get things like 6 months free of Ovi Maps out of the box (which then was later introduced to other Euro devices), but you shouldn't miss out on too much. Oh yeah, you'll also more likely get firmware updates far quicker than the NAM counterparts although Nokia has been improving on this front lately.

Interestingly enough, I've already seen rumors for another Maemo device for release in 2010 with bumped up specs. But take that as you will.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
not entirely true. In order to work on TMoUSA, it needs 1700 and 2100, not only one, so if these aren't on the Euro model, and they aren't, you'll only get EDGE data speeds.

Not entirely true, either. Before recently, the only way to get Symbian Nseries phones was importers. I regularly bought from overseas and had shipped to the States. I had my warranty. Here's what I usually do:

Go to Nokia.com and register your device online. That's it. Any problems, just do a trouble ticket online, and they schedule the repair, and tell you where to mail it. I usually got it back in about 4-8 weeks, and usually got it replaced if anything seemed hard to repair. Always treated nicely and always got my device back working perfectly. But backup first, because they always flash to the latest firmware before sending her back home.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Guys, the prices aren't based on the exchange rate. Nokia prices differently in each market. That's the price over there, not the US

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
not entirely true. In order to work on TMoUSA, it needs 1700 and 2100, not only one, so if these aren't on the Euro model, and they aren't, you'll only get EDGE data speeds.
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/oet/f...ive_or_pdf=pdf

That's the FCC report for the RX-51, aka as the N900. If you look at the SAR report, you'll notice that the WCDMA bands of 1700/2100 were tested, which is what T-Mobile USA uses. Now, if you're thinking that the N900 that the FCC tested was a specific NAM variant, then the internal codename for the N900 would have been different from the devices being previewed by people like Eldar at Mobile-Review. For example, if you look at past devices:

Original Euro/Asia N95-1 = RM-159
NAM N95-3 = RM-160

Euro/Asia N86 = RM-484
NAM N86 = RM-485
China N86 = RM-486

Euro/Asia N97 = RM-505
NAM N97 = RM-506

..and so on. The fact that there's only been one variant thus far, the RX-51, and that the FCC tested it on 1700/2100 indicates that importers should have no issues running this device on T-Mobile's 3G network.

Not entirely true, either. Before recently, the only way to get Symbian Nseries phones was importers. I regularly bought from overseas and had shipped to the States. I had my warranty. Here's what I usually do:

Go to Nokia.com and register your device online. That's it. Any problems, just do a trouble ticket online, and they schedule the repair, and tell you where to mail it. I usually got it back in about 4-8 weeks, and usually got it replaced if anything seemed hard to repair. Always treated nicely and always got my device back working perfectly. But backup first, because they always flash to the latest firmware before sending her back home.
That's interesting although that's contradictory to my experiences. I used to buy a lot of devices abroad whenever I'd travel. It was a bit of a crapshoot because if the phone ever died, I was pretty much screwed. Heck, once I even had a minor software issue and when I called NokiaUSA support, they were reluctant in helping me out because my device wasn't bought in the US. Don't even ask me about trying to get replacements - I was pretty much on my own.

I never did bother registering my devices so maybe that's the key? Somewhat strange because for other NAM devices I've bought, I could get them exchanged or repaired without having to register. If for whatever reason I have to purchase devices from abroad again, I may have to give that method a shot.

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Oregon
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/oet/f...ive_or_pdf=pdf

That's interesting although that's contradictory to my experiences. I used to buy a lot of devices abroad whenever I'd travel. It was a bit of a crapshoot because if the phone ever died, I was pretty much screwed. Heck, once I even had a minor software issue and when I called NokiaUSA support, they were reluctant in helping me out because my device wasn't bought in the US. Don't even ask me about trying to get replacements - I was pretty much on my own.

I never did bother registering my devices so maybe that's the key? Somewhat strange because for other NAM devices I've bought, I could get them exchanged or repaired without having to register. If for whatever reason I have to purchase devices from abroad again, I may have to give that method a shot.
That has been my experience as well that your out of luck with your warranty if the device is not "officially" sold in your country, I have sent a email to Nokia to clear this up and will post their reply

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Gainesville, FL
Er.... actually, the n900 listed on the Expansys preoder is not Tri-band UMTS, it specifically says dual band, and neither of the bands are bands that work in the US. Maybe they're just not mentioning the 1700. But buyer beware.