Active Topics

Posts: 196 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Near St. Albans UK
Now this might sound weird but! I thought the standby/notification screen used minimal power?

But over the last 3 days I have been placing my phone face down and I'm now getting a much higher standby time!

i.e. I normally turn off at night to save power but if i leave it on I would loose about 1-2% an hour!! with the phone face down I only loose 4% if left in flight mode I loose only 2% (over 8 hours)

So far I have made the odd call (35 minutes), texted as and when, so minimal usage but I have so far got 3 full days out of it and about 18% to go so think it will do 4 days!

I have attached some screen shots! Can others try this? better still you could try turning the standby screen off! but I love it too much!

Please report back any improvements in the N9s standby time!
Attached Images

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Grazy For This Useful Post:
TBH I have always wondered why NO other phone has this feature, even the flagship androids can't even seem to do this function and hey have the same AMOLED screens allowing for utilisation of the Low Power Mode!

I have a feeling this was optimised for battery by Nokia, but still drains battery and thats the reason nobody else implements this feature

Useful but at a price

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

N900 Conversations Wiki Page

Posts: 640 | Thanked: 435 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ rajvoSa BA
we can maybe fix this, maybe?

The Following User Says Thank You to wook_sf For This Useful Post:
Keep the phone in a case/bag/anything that covers the proximity sensor and it will have the same effect.

The Following User Says Thank You to impact For This Useful Post:
Posts: 56 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ finland
didnt actually know it has that much impact on battery life, tho ive always had my phone facing table in night, or else that damn clock lights whole room

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ India, Canada
I have a habit of keeping it facedown.... The N8's speaker was on the back and the speaker used to get muffled if placed on its back. But I was just looking at the screen at night playing around with the proximity sensor, and i noticed the whole screen lights up, slightly but it still lights up.

Posts: 196 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Near St. Albans UK
Yeah if its in a bag or pocket then yes the sensor is covered but i tend to leave it on my desk at work or at home on my coffee table.

Doing this does improve the battery life a lot for me when in standby mode! this or course goes out the window when you are using it a lot for browsing etc!

also I have noticed the standby screen percentage is quite high when doing this? its normally only 2-3% according the "battery usage"

Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
Originally Posted by nonikhanna View Post
and i noticed the whole screen lights up, slightly but it still lights up.
Agreed.

same things happens on Symbian ^3's standby clock-screensavers (from beta labs)

slightly , but still... it lights up

its a shame we cant make more use of the led in the bottom corner like the n900.

i used to have different colours for different things etc...
then we could turn the standby clock off and just use the led to let us know about missed calls, tx and emails

i feel like i am the only one who doesnt use the stand-by screen.. lol, i dont like it cause i can see a whole bunch of those "screen blobs" and it just looks horrible

its still a cool feature though