Active Topics

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
The problem is that responsiveness is spotty to non-existent by the one person authorized to access the account since the treasurer resigned.
This is not true. I have taken good care of the account since the Treasurer resigned and responded to the last funds request within one day..

"...Upon +1 from another Board Director in addition to myself, I will order the switch using Hildon's US bank account.

Please confirm you prefer to have it delivered care of IPHH?
Rob

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 04:50:48PM +0200, Falk Stern wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> at the moment we have a pressing performance issue on our hosted hardware.
>
> We currently have a 100MBit managed switch connecting each blade, IPMI
> modules and the uplink to our hoster.

>
> Backups through this switch take a long time and database access could
> be faster.
>
> Techstaff made the decision that we would like to purchase a Netgear
> GS724T-300EUS 24 Port Gigabit switch.
> (http://www.amazon.de/Netgear-GS724T-.../ref=de_a_smtd)
>
> We need a managed switch because different security zones are separated
> by VLANs internally.
>
> The Netgear Switch is the most economical decision. It is rackmounted,
> has 24 ports, which leaves room for further extension, and supports
> everything we need.
>
> Buying HP Procurve or Cisco would be overkill for this.

>
> Best regards,
>
> Falk"

It was Woody who showed up 4 days later (4 days is Ok, but it's wrong for the person who was slow to accuse the person who was faster of being nonresponsive) -

"Sorry for the delay. Lots of things going on with me RL, including a "holiday
weekend" in the states this past weekend.

I'm +1 on this as well. Probably best to order via a German provider (or
Amazon, some company that does business in EU)?"

And then after getting Woody's +1, I ordered the switch within one day to the satisfaction of the sysop-

"Hi Rob,

looks good to me

Thanks a lot!

Best,

Falk

robert bauer wrote:
> Falk,
>
> I believe I successfully ordered the switch through amazon.de
> <http://amazon.de>. I'm a bit anxious about it because my German is not
> good. Can you please confirm that the order confirmation below looks
> like everything is done right? There is also a possibility that our US
> bank account will eventually not be accepted although everything seemed
> to work when I made the order through currency converter. Please keep
> us informed as to status. I hope it works out properly.
>
> Rob
>
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: *bestellbestaetigung@amazon.de
> <mailto:bestellbestaetigung@amazon.de>* <bestellbestaetigung@amazon.de
> <mailto:bestellbestaetigung@amazon.de>>
> Date: 2013/5/28
> Subject: Ihre Bestellung bei Amazon.de
> To: "board@hildonfoundation.org <mailto:board@hildonfoundation.org>"
> <board@hildonfoundation.org <mailto:board@hildonfoundation.org>>"

And reimbursements for items purchased by tech staff (that are needed and still in use, like hard drives) have to date not been handled.
The issue with that request for "reimbursement" was that the request was made without mentioning that funds had already been solicited and donated for the hard drive. The prior donations were not mentioned at the time of the request for "reimbursement", so it is being handled with care in order to ensure that the donations to Hildon Foundation are dispensed properly without duplication. Woody was informed of this concern weeks ago and knew about it when the above comment was made

I agree. I welcome you to call for a Board meeting. You'll probably have about as much success as I have.

What do you suggest one should do when others are actively being obstructionist. Saying things like "I won't attend a meeting unless all are directors are present".
This also is not true, at least on my part. Here is my response to a meeting request a month ago, WITHIN ONE DAY -

"Let's not try to have a meeting this week. It's too much of a squeeze to try to schedule it and announce it in advance. Next week, I am currently available on Tuesday or Wednesday from 10am-2pm. If Jim can confirm this week that he is available for a meeting during one of those time periods, then we can schedule it and announce it."

Here is my response to Woody's meeting request that he did not make until AFTER the false allegation of being obstructionist quoted above-

"I think the last meeting request I got was more than a month ago. I am currently available next Thursday between 9am-2pm.

I recall Joerg's request to be paid for storage drive he had already collected money for. What is the other request? Can you put together a list of all the agenda items and I'll post them on the website?

Rob"

Hardly the "obstructionist" response to meeting request Woody would have you believe. I'll let Jim speak for himself. But as I've said before, I would understand if he has concluded that it's not constructive or timeworthy to respond. If I do not respond to the next set of ad hominem attacks and politically motivated, half-truths that may appear on the forum after this, understand that I am merely declining to play politics with the pachyderm while not resigning as others have understandably done recently. I can be reached via maemo.org PM or board@hildonfoundation.org.

The community can rest assured that I will, as I always have over the course of several years of service, dutifully carry out the responsibilities that I have taken on, including looking out for the donations already made to Hildon Foundation until the next Treasurer comes along.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Will the repos be onlilne for the next year???

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 254 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Canada
At the very least, another BoD member, preferrably Woody (since Jim is an unknown quantity as far as the Maemo Community goes), should be a signatory on the Hildon Foundation bank account, until BoD elections are done and all roles are filled.

At least that's my opinion, since having only one active member of the BoD with the power to access funds doesn't seem proper nor prudent.

Secondly, donations to the Hildon Foundation need to be sorted out-the Paypal account needs to be fixed, and the community needs to be informed about what the funds will be used for, where and how. There has been some discussion around community coding contests and the like, but some people may have donated money with the intention of it going towards "maemo infrastructure" and may be unhappy with it being diverted to other initiatives. Personally, I'm happy with my donations being used as the community sees fit-however at the moment, I'm unsure that the Hildon Foundation represents the community effectively. After elections, hopefully things will become more clear.

Another question for BoD: how are talks/contract negotiations going with Nokia? I'm assuming the contract would cover distribution of closed source pieces of maemo, use of the maemo trademark, domain name transfers, and other things of that nature. Is there anything beyond those things being discussed? What else does the community need or want from Nokia anyway?

Last edited by shawnjefferson; 2013-06-02 at 17:39.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to shawnjefferson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Just a warning to not derail this thread
/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
Will the repos be onlilne for the next year???
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Just a warning to not derail this thread
/j
Exactly. You two have hit the nail on the head. This is a fundraising thread, not a "wash your dirty laundry in public" one. I do not really care who is right; what makes a big difference to me is who is left*). Does it make sense to continue sending donations? Will we have a forum next year/month/week or are my 3 devices going to turn into 3 bricks?

*) Pardon the bad pun.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
It seems you can be at least sure there will be quite some elections, if nothing else... SCNR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Does it make sense to continue sending donations?
For now it doesn't make sense to send donations to HiFo paypal account (do they have any other?), since donation will not get claimed and gets returned to you. Up to you if you want to send donations to the account I provided a few posts up, I will use those to pay servers related to maemo, compensate for the expenses I already had, get hw we might want for maemo.org server but requests to HiFo were not processed, and transfer any excess to HiFo eventually unless the donor mentioned in purpose that s/he does want the donation to stay with techstaff.
I'll post a balance here shortly. For a first magnitude info the maemo.org related payments of last 6 months were still higher than the donations that came in. Currently my fixed expense to keep stuff alive is ~70EUR/month (no, this doesn't include any beer, hookers, pizza, DSL, or installments for my PC).
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Will we have a forum next year/month/week or are my 3 devices going to turn into 3 bricks?
Unless sth completely unexpected happens, I can promise to you that we'll have a tmo forum in 6 months and most likely also in 12 months. Same applies for maemo extras-* repo and maemo.org infra in general, and as long as I can afford it (by own purse or donations) we'll also have those helpful servers that are not to be found under *.maemo.org URL

cheers
jOERG

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-06-10 at 21:13.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
... and transfer any excess to HiFo eventually unless the donor mentioned in purpose that s/he does want the donation to stay with techstaff.
In my particular case, not expecting the need to make this decision, I did not explicitly state whether I wanted my donation to stay with techstaff or not.

If it matters: I'd rather have my donation stay with techstaff.

As for the switch, I don't know if it's there or not already. Just in case I will make another donation this week "only for techstaff".

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
[SIZE="4"][...]
Hardly the "obstructionist" response to meeting request Woody would have you believe. I'll let Jim speak for himself. But as I've said before, I would understand if he has concluded that it's not constructive or timeworthy to respond. If I do not respond to the next set of ad hominem attacks and politically motivated, half-truths that may appear on the forum after this, understand that I am merely declining to play politics with the pachyderm while not resigning as others have understandably done recently. I can be reached via maemo.org PM or board@hildonfoundation.org.

The community can rest assured that I will, as I always have over the course of several years of service, dutifully carry out the responsibilities that I have taken on, including looking out for the donations already made to Hildon Foundation until the next Treasurer comes along.
Rob,

respect for standing up to the pachyderm... (didn't expect anyone to pick up on that ¦-)
and thanks for remaining on the Board.
i don't think Woody means bad, he simply can't get through his mind / thick skin that there is something else then what he {sees, thinks, posts, does}
in politics, that's very useful, you know...
:-\

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Joerg,

Would it be possible to set up your PayPal account for recurring payments? I found the PayPal website an intricate maze when it comes to finding any information beyond the simplest operation, but if I understand it correctly, it is not possible to send regular payments without something called a "subscription" that the "merchant" has to set up. I would like to send a small amount regularly each month automagically rather than having to remember about it. I guess if more people express a similar wish then it might be worth your while.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:

Tags
chatbot, maturity?, mister clown