Powered up my half broken N9 today to find that there was an update to PM waiting for me (among other things). After playing with the device after a long break, I again got pissed off at Nokia for killing it, but I guess that's a normal reaction around here. I also found my android phone with tasker to not be what it's cracked up to be.

This got me thinking about getting a Jolla but I wouldn't want to get one without knowing that ProfileMatic or something similar is going to be present at some point.

So is it? Is a port even possible and are you considering it? I don't want to make you commit to anything, I'd just like to know the probability of this happening.

While I was having fun with my N9, I decided to update the finnish translations and my scripts here and here to be compatible with 2.4.2.

Any chance of implementing a condition based on bluetooth being on/off and then setting rules for that condition? Thank you.

Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by KTy View Post
Any chance to add "duration" and "speed rate" of a data connection ?
This way I could create a rule to enable 3G when I am surfing the web or downloading attachment, while stick to 2G the rest of the time...
I'm not sure how well that could be implemented. First of all, as has been recently shown, if you have "allow background connections" off, the platform doesn't report anymore changes to internet connection.

So either it could only work with some N9 configurations, or then the duration would have to be measured in some other way - ie. not by whether internet connection is on, but perhaps by seeing if any data is moving.

And even if I knew how that could be done, it'd require some heuristics. Normal internet usage has data coming and going in some intervals, not in constant stream, so I couldn't just measure the duration when data is transferred but allow some downtime when data is not transferred.

Even if I'd figure the necessary APIs to achieve that (which I'm not sure exist easily achievable on N9), there'd still be some quirks to figure out.

So in short, I'm sorry but I doubt this is something I will implement any time soon (as there's many other areas that need to be implemented) - but I will make a mental note of it, so that if it's requested more I may consider it again.

But the best way would be for someone who needs this feature, and is a developer, to implement this to ProfileMatic. I'm not against such a feature, if it can be done in non-confusing way for the user.

Originally Posted by slarti View Post
I again got pissed off at Nokia for killing it, but I guess that's a normal reaction around here.
For me at least, considerably less of a rage-inducing feeling now that Jolla is continuing the work .

This got me thinking about getting a Jolla but I wouldn't want to get one without knowing that ProfileMatic or something similar is going to be present at some point.

So is it? Is a port even possible and are you considering it? I don't want to make you commit to anything, I'd just like to know the probability of this happening.
I can say that I intend my next phone to be Jolla, and when that happens I will take a look if it makes sense to port ProfileMatic there. My understanding of the platform is, that porting ProfileMatic to Jolla should be possible (at least most features). Which sadly does not hold true as an example for BB10 or Ubuntu Touch.

That said, I don't have the possibility to spend money on a new smartphone anytime soon. So, unless Santa Claus surprises me, I don't think it's going to happen in the next few months - but eventually for sure.

While I was having fun with my N9, I decided to update the finnish translations and my scripts here and here to be compatible with 2.4.2.
Thank you!

Originally Posted by justadude View Post
Any chance of implementing a condition based on bluetooth being on/off and then setting rules for that condition? Thank you.
This has been requested before, so yes... there is a growing chance . Of course since I don't myself have use for BlueTooth it's something without much motivation - but I'd think it'd be relatively easy condition to add, so it's not at all impossible. Can you give me concrete use case how that would be usable and I'll write it down for consideration?

The Following User Says Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 25 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Sep 2013 @ Serbia
I have question not directly related with priofilmatic problem but with NFC use in profilmatic.

Let's say you want to only activate the BT in contact with NFC card... in profilmatic I have that option but I always get annoying NFC notification, and I need to press OK.

My question is:
How to turn off the popup notification for NFC that appears every time N9 comes in contact with the NFC chip?

Any hack, mode or something?

Posts: 649 | Thanked: 762 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by vds View Post
I have question not directly related with priofilmatic problem but with NFC use in profilmatic.

Let's say you want to only activate the BT in contact with NFC card... in profilmatic I have that option but I always get annoying NFC notification, and I need to press OK.

My question is:
How to turn off the popup notification for NFC that appears every time N9 comes in contact with the NFC chip?

Isn't there a toggle for confirm connection in NFC settings?

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Sep 2013 @ Serbia
Originally Posted by imaginaryenemy View Post
Isn't there a toggle for confirm connection in NFC settings?
Yes, and I have it Off... But I still get popup message.. In this particular case: "NFC tag is empty" and I need to press OK to disappear.

Originally Posted by vds View Post
My question is:

Unfortunately, as far as I know, there is no hack or method known to get rid of that. Annoys me a bit also.

ProfileMatic 2.4.3 updated to Nokia Store and OpenRepos. This update has only updates to translations:

- Updated translations: German, Finnish, Italian, Polish, Taiwanese

Should be available from OpenRepos right now, and from Nokia Store within a week.

A reminder to pending translations: Nokia Store will stop accepting updates earlyof next year. So if you can get the translation ready before the dead-line, it'd be very nice to have it in Nokia Store. Otherwise updates will only be available from OpenRepos.

I expect to do one final update to Nokia Store a couple weeks before the deadline if there's new finished translations. After Nokia Store stops accepting updates for N9 software, all updates for ProfileMatic will be through OpenRepos.

Last edited by ajalkane; 2013-12-17 at 22:26.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 231 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Tallinn, Estonia
I try to set up following rule:

Condition:
- Charging state - charging

Action:
- Run application - Wifi Hotspot

It acts fine - when charger is connected, Wifi Hotspot application starts. However, I need to somehow also start automatically the distribution of the Wifi (usually you just press "Start" button in the app). How can I achieve this automatic Start button action?

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Estonia
Kiitos @ajalkane for the good work on ProfileMatic, it is definitely a premium app !!

I believe it would be nice to have additional condition - being connected to a specific bluetoot device

Some example use cases (that would be useful for me):
* when i enter my car (which has bluetooth built in), i'd like my N9 to enter ringign profile, set to high volume, launch navigation app and music player, disable screen to go sleep and phone to lock (this is taken care of by the navi app)
* when i exit my car, id like it to close navigation app and music player automatically, re-enable sleep and lock, etc.
* when i'm connected to my work computer, i'd like my phone to be in silent profile and offline for all instant messaging systems
* when i leave my desk for lunch or even for short time (i.e. disconnect from my computer), i'd like it to resume ringing profile and go online

Currently i'm doing this with NFC tags. This works fine, but:
* have to touct the tag
* sometimes i forget and then when i'm away from the tag i have to manually run rules actions or disable rule
* there is this little annoyance described above that have to click "discard" button after touching NFC

k6ps