Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
Hilarious

But they state the "solidified chemical fuel" aka "Salt?" is replaceable.
So i guess you would need to refill or replace the water after "some" time?.
How they handle the process and generate enough juice to recharge any sort of mobile device is beyond my imagination though.
I recon the problem is in the step of "make hydrogen from water" step. The Hydrogen won't come off that easy and it's certain that this process will cost more energy than the energy released when 2H atom combine with Oxygen and form water. It is thermally very "costly" to break the 2 strong hydrogen bond in water. For example electrolysis...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
I recon the problem is in the step of "make hydrogen from water" step. The Hydrogen won't come off that easy and it's certain that this process will cost more energy than the energy released when 2H atom combine with Oxygen and form water. It is thermally very "costly" to break the 2 strong hydrogen bond in water. For example electrolysis...
That is what you see exactly in the video link above.
And the full fuel thing makes no sense technically, just next-generation catcphrases cleverly piled up.

Anyway it seems TRI will create an infinite energy source, so I would advise everybody to invest in such a treat before the evil illuminati/ shadow governements/FBI-KGB-CIA shut them down.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Merienth For This Useful Post:
can you imagine trying to go anywhere with it, even if it did work? Lithium battery is considered risky (postal services/flights etc). what would they be like if you transported a hydrogen filled fuel cell?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Well, I see they are quite set on creating a Classical Perpentual Motion device. Pretty ambitious but that's OK, you need to aim high to succeed.

No matter there' those pesky Law's o' Theremodynacists hanging on da background; I bet nobody's yet tried to break em hard enough!
Just break the law, Huh, Huh, break the law!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Dec 2016 @ Finland
After five years of lurking, Turing fuel cell discussion finally made me register and post on TMO.

No perpetual motion here, actually. A chunk of something that reduces water, and needs to be replaced after depleted: "... contains a replaceable solidified chemical fuel...", as they say.

I believe most of the fuel cell prototypes for electronic devices so far have used ethanol or methanol with external oxygen, and water being exhausted, but nothing that much wrong with using solid fuel and otherwise closed system? (Thermodynamics and Hess's law actually tell us it's thermodynamically ok to convert 2 H₂O <-> 2 H₂ + O₂ back and forth if we really want to)

"what would they be like if you transported a hydrogen filled fuel cell?" Hydrogen without oxygen is pretty inert, and not THAT dangerous in such small amounts anyhow. And some/most of it will be bonded as water all the time - maybe it will actually extinguish itself in case of fire? Anyhow, I find lithium batteries scarier.

Theoretically everything's pretty ok. Of course, such devices being delivered in the near future by TRI, that is a completely different question...

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Mazoon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by Mazoon View Post
Theoretically everything's pretty ok. Of course, such devices being delivered in the near future by TRI, that is a completely different question...
If they could deliver an economically feasible fuel that could easily safely and quickly refuel a fuel cell, they certainly wouldn't need to screw around in the boutique smartphone business. There's a world of devices big and small from toys, phones and tablets to planes, trains and automobiles that would beat down their door to get in on that action.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Dec 2016 @ Finland
If they could deliver an economically feasible fuel that could easily safely and quickly refuel a fuel cell, they certainly wouldn't need to screw around in the boutique smartphone business. There's a world of devices big and small from toys, phones and tablets to planes, trains and automobiles that would beat down their door to get in on that action.
This is definitely true. Economical feasibility, one could argue however, hasn't quite always been TRI's forte.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mazoon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by Mazoon View Post
After five years of lurking, Turing fuel cell discussion finally made me register and post on TMO.
Well done everyone, we s#!tposted so hard we gained a member!

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
Well done everyone, we s#!tposted so hard we gained a member!
That should also credit to Turing...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by JiiHoo View Post
Bonus:

TRI will also make the official pre-announcement of its second generation mobile device on January 1st, 2017.
That schedule seems a bit rushed.
They should let the tech mature and announce it on the
far more appropriate date of April 1st, 2017.

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:

Tags
swordfish os, turingphone