Originally Posted by nMIK-3 View Post
First of all having two different "doors" of software is simple annoying for everyone and confusing to the end/simple user.
And I agree N900/Maemo 5 was clearly aiming for geeks but with MeeGo going commercial, having two different "Applications Stores" in one device is simple WRONG.

I believe that Ovi Store and App Manager should be merge in MeeGo.
?
I couldn't agree more. At the back end we need to have multiple repositories (don't want to duplicate Apple's control of the iphone) but the front end needs to integrate all sources of software to present to the user. Sure some apps will cost money and some will have no warranty but that's simple to warn the user about.

At the moment the embarrassment is all with Nokia - the Ovi store with so few apps just looks pathetic.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by nMIK-3 View Post
There is absolutely no reason of having two application managers in one device. Not a single logical reason. NONE
Pure opinion. Totally. Completely. Absolutely.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by DrInequality View Post
Sure some apps will cost money and some will have no warranty but that's simple to warn the user about.
The application manager already displays a warning if you haven't noticed How many of you actually read those things when installing something? Does the contents of the warning affect your decision to install the software? At least I have never read the contents of the warning.

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 229 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
It must never ever happen that one "place" controls what you may install on your device and what not. We know this concept and it failed miserably.
If you mean a central location to install applications from, I beg to differ. Android market didn't fail, Microsoft's App Market Place didn't fail. Blackberry App World didn't fail.

If instead, you are emphasising the word control and mean that one place shouldn't dictate how/where you install apps from, then I agree. However, I wouldnt' say Iphone's app market "failed", considering Apple's revenue.

As for the subject at hand, I'm underwhelmed by the current state of the Ovi store. It seems a bit hackish, considering it technically DOES interface with the app manager (INSTALL files). I think that if there are going to be two independant channels, then they should feel independant OR communicate seemlessly without feeling "tacked on", as Ovi store does. I understand it's a beta, but they've already failed at trying to launch paid apps, what, twice?

Disclaimer: I don't have an Iphone, nor do I want one.

The Following User Says Thank You to aspidites For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by timoph View Post
The application manager already displays a warning if you haven't noticed How many of you actually read those things when installing something? Does the contents of the warning affect your decision to install the software? At least I have never read the contents of the warning.
Yep I read the warning. Didn't affect my installation, but
then I'm a hacker and am happy to cope with re-flashing
or whatever.

Originally Posted by aspidites View Post
As for the subject at hand, I'm underwhelmed by the current state of the Ovi store. It seems a bit hackish, considering it technically DOES interface with the app manager (INSTALL files). I think that if there are going to be two independant channels, then they should feel independant OR communicate seemlessly without feeling "tacked on", as Ovi store does. I understand it's a beta, but they've already failed at trying to launch paid apps, what, twice?
Yes, I agree. The Ovi store is "underwhelming" to say the least.

Why are there so few apps? Does anyone at Nokia actually have a clue?
  1. Why does it cost money to register (sure Apple can get away with this but they were first in the app store business)?
  2. Where is the best app of the month competition (with a significant prize)?
  3. Why did they launch via a cludged web site rather than integration with a nice app manager?

I'm generally in favour of open source (and use it a lot) but I think that a vibrant app store would motivate Nokia to actually support the N900 and future smart phones. But the way it looks at the moment, I'd be surprised if too many people are plunking down their 50 euros and signing up. It just looks like Nokia doesn't care.

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Which ones would these be ? The only two paid apps that appeared as a non-Nokia special deal are the ones from a single (slightly controversial) one-man-show publisher. Compared to that, there is a sea of hundreds (thousands, if you count those in -devel) free applications.
I am talking about App Stores and repositories in general. Not just N900.

The problem is not choice, but no matter what you choose, somebody loses (which, in turn means the users lose). If there is a free repo, the commercial vendors loose.
Rubbish. Merging with the Free repo means users will actually bother to look at the paid apps. At the moment I never bother with Ovi, because I can just stick to the free app manager. If the paid apps where merged into the app manager, I would browse them and make a decision.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by 406NotAcceptable View Post
Rubbish. Merging with the Free repo means users will actually bother to look at the paid apps. At the moment I never bother with Ovi, because I can just stick to the free app manager. If the paid apps where merged into the app manager, I would browse them and make a decision.
At which point it is cheaper for the commercial developer to choose another platform. Seriously, few will want to to pay money on development, Ovi/publishing, advertising just to find themselves alongside an army of free apps so you could make that decision. Commercial devs want to maximize profit, so they'll just go AppStore instead as it has a better ROI in that case.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
A lot of the disagreement is coming from the fact that some are talking about a hypothetical Ovi store that (a) has decent apps in it and (b) works, while others are talking about Ovi as it is. Attila is talking hypothetically, and is right. As things are now it they might as well merge the lot (for all the draw that Ovi is), but in a case where Ovi has good offerings and is therefore a premium service (rather than one that charges a premium for no service) it would indeed be a loss to the devs (and, i would say, the users) to combine everything for the reasons already given.

Edit: A separate consideration given the actual state of Ovi, is whether we want it, meaning whether it would be a good idea to group it with the Extras repo of tested software. It has proven multiple times to house flaky, possibly dangerous software that would (theoretically at least) never make it into Extras.
Small example just coming up now: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=47215
Also see the lack of optification of Ovi apps.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-03-12 at 14:38.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post: