Posts: 77 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Spain
Great!, Checking if exist updates for applications in settings->Applications->check if exist updates for applications

And.... shows profilematic 1.6.1 and other... XD

Hello,

sounds very good... thanks for notice that feature...

Florian

Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
I did more testing on this, and you and Muzimak are definitely correct - it just doesn't work. ProfileMatic changes the value as seen in Settings, but it doesn't have any effect.

So I will need to see if this can be fixed. There might be an API for this, most likely not as I don't remember seeing one. Or then I have to remove the wretched setting altogether if I can't figure out a way to do this (or if Aegis is blocking it).

Unfortunately my computer broke so I don't know when I can do anything about this.
I suspected the Aegis thing too!! As you said, even I noticed that value in settings changed, but did not have any effect. The 2.5/3.5 sign or wifi icon definitely goes away on my N9 if I flick the switch for background connections to off. Sometimes, the sign doesnt go away immediately as something is using the network at that moment, but then goes away after a few minutes, and may be that is what you saw.

Posts: 301 | Thanked: 531 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ The Netherlands
Dear ajalkane,

In ProfileMatic I use only one rule now. But it doesn't work as I thought.

Profile Name: Sleep
From 23:00 to 06:59 all days
Cell Id not in use
WLAN not in use
Idle not in use
Profile Silent / restore previous
Account availability no change
Flight mode On / restore previous
Power Saving Mode On / restore previous
BlueTooth no change
Mobile netword no change
all others not set

At 23:00 it does Silent, it does Power Saving, but it does not go into Flight mode. All connections remain working.

Am I doing something wrong? Thanks in advance!

Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by rob_kouw View Post
At 23:00 it does Silent, it does Power Saving, but it does not go into Flight mode. All connections remain working.

Am I doing something wrong? Thanks in advance!
You need to reinstall ProfileMatic. Flight mode sometimes stops working because of aegis. Reinstall is the only known fix.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 56 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Novosibirsk, Russia
Is it possible to have an option for rule - proceed with next/stop processing? Currently setting rules by time and location independently is a bit couter-intuitive: the rule I want to be activated with higher priority (e.g. night-time rule) should be placed below all other rules (@home @some-others-home etc.), not above.

Btw., thanks for a great app!

Originally Posted by Loginin View Post
Is it possible to have an option for rule - proceed with next/stop processing? Currently setting rules by time and location independently is a bit couter-intuitive: the rule I want to be activated with higher priority (e.g. night-time rule) should be placed below all other rules (@home @some-others-home etc.), not above.
I'm not sure I understand. Can you give a concrete example and what problem your proposal would solve?

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Novosibirsk, Russia
Actually when writing previous post I didn't fully understand how new scheme works. Now I understand it better, but still... have the following problem:
- I have profile "@Work" by location setting PSM on (with restore), disabling background connections (with restore), sending all my accounts to offline etc.
- Now I want to add rule "Lunch-time" by time, with mostly default options. The problem is that "Lunch-time" may share location with @Work and so all @Work rules without "Lunch-time" counterparts will be now applied. If there were a way to stop applying rules below "Lunch-time" I might just set minimum options I need for this profile without necessity of setting all rules that set in @Work or other profiles that might share location with a place where I have lunch another day. Than I'd just put "Lunch-time" at the top of the list and it'd serve as exception to general location-based rules like @Work, @Home. Same applied to other time-based rules like e.g. Night-time.

Last edited by Loginin; 2012-05-11 at 16:54.

The Following User Says Thank You to Loginin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Loginin View Post
- Now I want to add rule "Lunch-time" by time, with mostly default options. The problem is that "Lunch-time" may share location with @Work and so all @Work rules without "Lunch-time" counterparts will be now applied. If there were a way to stop applying rules below "Lunch-time" I might just set minimum options I need for this profile without necessity of setting all rules that set in @Work or other profiles that might share location with a place where I have lunch another day. Than I'd just put "Lunch-time" at the top of the list and it'd serve as exception to general location-based rules like @Work, @Home. Same applied to other time-based rules like e.g. Night-time.
Thanks,

I understand now what you're after. Basically what you'd want, if I understood correctly, is that you could define in a rule that "If this rule matches then actions in rules below this rule will not be considered. Except Default rule, its actions will be applied like always".

I can tell you that I've thought about another feature that would solve your problem just as well, and would be more general, thus allowing many other use cases too. The feature I've thought about, is allowing Rule's Conditions and Actions to "inherit" from another rule. In your case, it'd mean you could inherit the @Lunch conditions from @Work, and it's action's from "Default rule". Then you could override those inherited actions/conditions if you wished for some specialized circumstances.

But... While I like the idea I am not at the moment planning to implement it. With ProfileMatic I must juggle with at least these parameters:

- ProfileMatic is always in the background running. Therefore I must strive for it to be light-weight. I should strive to minimize memory and CPU usage
- Power of expression for user so that he can make rules that do what he wants
- Easy for new users. The UI should be as simple as possible, while allowing creating rules that do what's necessary to make life easier.
- Convenient to create different kind of rules.

Your suggestion, and the one I described about "inheriting" are about "convenience" in creating rules, because same kind of effect can be done with some more clicks in the UI. But they increase complexity in every other case described above.

So... while it may seem a bit annoying to duplicate the actions in the @Lunch rule, I think about it like this: ProfileMatic is meant to make day-by-day living easier and more automatic. The rules are, once set-up, probably changed quite seldom. So it doesn't matter much if there's a bit more work and duplication when initially setting up the rules.

This is my current stance on this, but I've changed my mind about many things in ProfileMatic's operation over time after hearing user input on different use-cases. So I'll keep this in mind and may reconsider in future.

The Following User Says Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
I installed 1.6, it is working great. But now I frequently see the warning about flight mode - aegis (you know what i'm talking). I just want to know is this problem only for flight mode or power saving mode also? Because my power saving mode rule isn't enabled though conditions met!