Active Topics

Originally Posted by Strickmabil View Post
Like it has been said before: just hold your finger against the screen and slide it to the option you want to select. Don't know whether this is a bug or not.. but I don't see what's the problem of making the correct user of your fingers to solve it. Adaptability and improvisation are wonderful characteristics that distinguish us from other living beings.
Of course it's a bug. Everywhere else the popup menu stays open - no need to slide your finger. It seems as if in the browser lifting your finger the UI triggers a click outside the popup menu and the UI therefore closes the popup. Maybe a tweak of some sensitivity settings is needed.

And It's OK to admit the software might have bugs - as long as someone fixes them

The Following User Says Thank You to markusm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Like it has been said before: just hold your finger against the screen and slide it to the option you want to select. Don't know whether this is a bug or not.. but I don't see what's the problem of making the correct user of your fingers to solve it. Adaptability and improvisation are wonderful characteristics that distinguish us from other living beings.
rubbish. if you know how it's supposed to work and you know that it did work before you mustn't adapt to lower standards.

Posts: 235 | Thanked: 89 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ italy
of course! but continue research of better comforts is our characteristic too!

In any chase, from times working/times not working, randomly, I understand it's a bug!

How to select it on bug section?

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
rubbish. if you know how it's supposed to work and you know that it did work before you mustn't adapt to lower standards.
I don't know how it worked before... I've always used it this way. Don't know if it is working as intended or not. It doesn't bother me tbh.

I've been dragging my finger to select Open link in new window after a long press on a link.

However I'm not sure if this is the intended action because sometimes I don't need to maintain a finger press in order to keep the context menu open.

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
I feel that that's a problem of the resistive screen. It just thinks you've pressed somewshere else already. Or, as often happens, once you lift your finger, it fails to register the press. This is something I really don't understand as it claims to understand my input before I raise my finger.

Not sure what's going on here, though.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by markusm View Post
Of course it's a bug. Everywhere else the popup menu stays open - no need to slide your finger. It seems as if in the browser lifting your finger the UI triggers a click outside the popup menu and the UI therefore closes the popup.
I find I have the same problem (the popup context menu disappearing) in other apps too, not just the browser. It disappears if you keep your finger held down, slide onto the menu, then slide out of it, which is really frustrating. I hope MeeGo or Harmattan provide easier-to-use context menus.

Last edited by pelago; 2010-04-21 at 14:04.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
This almost certainly is a bug.

OS 2008 had a similar problem (see bug #2333 in particular comment #5 which states:

(note: CSM == Context Sensitive Menu, ie. popup menu)

The applications need to setup the CSM correctly, otherwise the code will
receive the release event and close without mercy.

I mean, considering the menu opens exactly where you press the stylus, any
minimal noise will appear as if you released it outside the CSM (because we use
owner_events = TRUE for the grab). That is the reason why we have a way to tell
the GtkMenu code "you are a CSM, only close when the user moves more than the
DnD threshold (30) px". AFAIK applications should be fixed to do this correctly
now, check in a future release
So if the application forgets to configure the popup menu correctly it will close when the stylus/finger moves. From my experience some Maemo5 apps open the popup menu correctly and leave it open, while some apps open popup menus which disappear before they can be selected.

Most likely this is due to a regression of bug #2333. If you wish, re-open #2333 or clone it for Maemo5.

The Following User Says Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 235 | Thanked: 89 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ italy
@Milhouse: thank you for your advice, I posted this as bug

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by maemo.it View Post
@Milhouse: thank you for your advice, I posted this as bug
Bug #9999.

The Following User Says Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post: