Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
I don't even much care about tablets, but I invested for a good cause!
Given how many times I've been disappointed by this outfit I can't convince myself to invest/donate that kind of $, but, I'll gladly give them the $10 minimum they ask for.

Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
-Considers Asian partners more likely
Surprise surprise...

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Why did Mark Shuttleworth need a $32 million goal for crowd sourcing an Ubuntu phone and Marc Dillion needed only a $380,000 goal to crowd source the Jolla Tablet?

While this is a serious question, feel free to think of this as a joke that you can provide the punchline to!
When Canonical announced their kickstarter, they didn't even have an OS. For them to develop an entire OS with GSM capability from no base whatsoever would have required at least 100 engineers working on it. Assuming a cost of $100k per worker, that's $10M a year just to pay their wages. Jolla on the other hand didn't have that draw back. They already had the core of an OS that works great. Hardware costs are the other massive chunk of the costs. From what we saw, it sounded like Ubuntu wanted their own custom hardware. Jolla on the other hand seem to be taking an off the shelf chipset+screen and putting their own case around it. That is why it seems so similarily specced to the Nokia/Ipad.

I said at the time, that people completely underestimated the work/money needed for Canonical to develop a stable, tested and working OS.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NokiaFanatic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Decided finally not to get one.

-(Almost) no need
-Wifi only
-How badly Jolla handled the phone pre-orders last year.

But its six months until release and obviously they will have "regular" sales later on. Maybe buy one when they are in shops.

Really wanting a new model Jolla phone though.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave

-(Almost) no need
-Wifi only

But its six months until release and obviously they will have "regular" sales later on. Maybe buy one when they are in shops.

May I ask, what was so badly wrong with the pre-orders handling?
I was also one of the first ones and hadn't had the feeling that there really went something wrong.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 286 | Thanked: 615 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Estonia
I guess you can get 3G/4G capabilities with the external USB 3G or 4G dongle.
Or even better - ask to include a sd slot instead on micro-sd slot and use a huawei-E2130-UltraStick-Wireless-3G-21Mbps-SD-modem in it. Nokia probably can't do that in its tablet, but Jolla can...

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
May I ask, what was so badly wrong with the pre-orders handling?
I was also one of the first ones and hadn't had the feeling that there really went something wrong.
The whole "First one" aspect of it.

-They sent them almost randomly, no matter how early or late people had ordered them.
-had reserved far too little resources for shipping in general
-Weren't open about these distribution problems until there was a huge out cry among the supporters.
-Run out of the pre-order exclusive Other Halfs.

EDIT:
-Charged EU VAT from orders outside EU(Swiss&Norway)
-Their whole tech support & warranty issues were FUBAR for months

Thats just quickly from memory. There are about million cry and whine posts on this forum about the problems from around November - December 2013.

Last edited by Rauha; 2014-11-19 at 14:07.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
The whole "First one" aspect of it.

-They sent them almost randomly, no matter how early or late people had ordered them.
-Weren't open about these distribution problems until there was a huge out cry among the supporters.
-Run out of the pre-order exclusive Other Halfs.

Thats just from quick memory. there are about million cry and whine posts on this forum about the problems from around November - December 2013.
Ok that the per-order exclusive Other Halfs run out was a bit strange, I agree with you. But the other things were in my opinion just smaller interferences.
The only thing what was a big let down and still is: The missing spare battery. I have no clue why we still don't have one.
Oh and there is a further one: Still no paid apps in the store.
But for me that's all. With the rest I'm quite comfortable.

EDIT:
Ok wrong VAT is also a no go. Didn't recognised that problem.

Well probably they didn't count on such an interest.
Three hours and the goal was reached.. Sick how awesome that is evolving.
And it's a tablet... I guess it's going to work out.

The Following User Says Thank You to KempeWeidenbaum For This Useful Post:

-(Almost) no need
-Wifi only

I also want a new, smaller Jolla 2 first! I want a Jolla with all the srcreen within the reach of my thumb so I can use the Jolla one-handed like my N9 (which I rarely use anymore because the Jolla is faster and more open - on the other hand: lacking schedule synch with my n900 / N9 and no search in Emails and no system-wide copy-and-paste are down points).

And I also do not know why I would need a tablet without stylus and keyboard.

Nevertheless I ordered a Jolla tablet because
- I want to promote Sailfish
- I think the tablet is not all that bad and will at least qualify as a photo album
- Jolla appears eager to deliver therefore I trust them
- WIFI only is not a problem because tethering with Jolla 1 is fine. In fact, it turned out that my Vaio is quicker when tethered to the Jolla (4G) than with the built-in 3G-Modem

I hope our trust in Jolla will not be disappointed and a successfull campaign will motivate them to quickly release an official Sailfish update for everyone.

Cheers, Jo

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to JoOppen For This Useful Post:
i wonder what the driver situation will be, will it be plain android drivers or will there be glibc drivers available, if so you can throw anything on their from sailfish to windows to any linux distro all on 64bit

The Following User Says Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:

Tags
bulks