Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
With the Jolla tablet coming in May. I was wondering if Jolla is planning on making a version of Sailfish that would also work as a desktop distribution. It would be nice if one could have all the software like Libre Office and maxima, gimp and so forth available and also have access to android and jolla specifc apps on one platform. Thanks!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
I suggested some (possibly) ideal partners for this in a meeting once, they & others present didn't seem terribly interested at the time though.
I don't think they should do it entirely on their own, they should use a distro that's ideologically & logically very similar, & just get Sailfish & it working seamlessly together.
Get something going that's roughly akin to what Ubuntu's trying to do... Apologies if I don't respond to any responses, not sub'd to this thread.

Last edited by jalyst; 2014-12-23 at 13:12.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
sailfish has the chances to stand out unlike the crowd of gazzilion distros

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
I've got a touchscreen netbook, and it's always been a dream of mine to be able to run a distro with separate DEs for tablet and laptop mode...

I know smeegol gave it a go, and both KDE and Enlightenment have looked like they might get there at various points, but it never quite came together.

Isn't it mostly a case of porting Lipstick to another Wayland distro? (though obviously that wouldn't get you Alien Dalvik or anything...)

eta - or, of course, porting other DEs to Sailfish.

edit again - turns out I think I mean Lipstick, not Silica. The UI, anyway - whatever that's called

Last edited by MikeHG; 2014-12-24 at 23:08.

Why would I use closed source desktop system if there are great fully open options around? The main problem on mobile is that all open options are rather handicapped at present, but desktop doesn't have this issue.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
I think the point is 'convergence devices' currently have 0 decent choices (as far as I know anyway), beyond dual-booting. Let Android / IOS / MS take that market, and you might look back on the idea of having Sailfish / Lipstick there rather fondly...

A Linux with a closed source UI for tablet type behaviour, with the rest open, would be a perfectly acceptable compromise for many for now. Especially as the long term goal seems to be to open as much as possible.

Last edited by MikeHG; 2014-12-24 at 23:09.

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Why would I use closed source desktop system if there are great fully open options around? The main problem on mobile is that all open options are rather handicapped at present, but desktop doesn't have this issue.
Yep, on mobile you can still kinda argue about the closed source GUI (but I still think it is wrong & actually hurting Jolla) but on desktop, there is just no excuse for a distribution with a closed source UI!

Also, I think quite a lot of people massively underestimate the amount of resources needed to run a real desktop/general purpose desktop.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Desktop Jolla... Not sure I'd be a fan of that. A touch screen tablet makes sense. But a mouse and keyboard combination doesn't. Not in my head around the gestures. But I'd like to see it done just because it could be done. Who knows, it might catch on.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post

Also, I think quite a lot of people massively underestimate the amount of resources needed to run a real desktop/general purpose desktop.
Ha. Ha. I would definately fall under that category! How about the possibility of compiling a set of commonly used software like libre office to run on Jolla Tablet. Seems almost ironic that I would run an Android app that mimics office like Office Suite when libre office exists. Could couple the Jolla Tablet with a bluetooth keyboard and I'm good to go. I know there is difficulty in adopting software for any new distribution, hoops to jump through or hardware related issues. So for this case is it massively difficult? Thanks!

Last edited by mscion; 2014-12-24 at 15:12.

Originally Posted by MartinK View Post

True, I think rumours of the imminent demise of desktops are exaggerated. But increasingly a tablet with a keyboard / mouse is going to work for a lot of light users, and the OS space for that is relatively empty.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/4GB-R...y-2015_id64077