Posts: 4 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Columbia,MO USA
Well, are they? I have been out of the maemo scene for a while.The N9 has meego, and little sucsess, not even maemo or a keyboard.Their has been no rumors I have heard about a new internet tablet, or a new maemo, and the new nokia site left out the nokia flashing utility for my N770! Also, the maemo forum still says Harmattan is a future realease, but it of course isnt anymore, so is the meamo admin still working on the site? And we are STILL in beta?!

Originally Posted by byteninja1 View Post
Well, are they? I have been out of the maemo scene for a while.The N9 has meego, and little sucsess, not even maemo or a keyboard.Their has been no rumors I have heard about a new internet tablet, or a new maemo, and the new nokia site left out the nokia flashing utility for my N770! Also, the maemo forum still says Harmattan is a future realease, but it of course isnt anymore, so is the meamo admin still working on the site? And we are STILL in beta?!
Short answer: they are dead to Nokia, but not their users.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
Short answer: they are dead to Nokia, but not their users.
Exactly right. Nokia has, like the rest of the industry, fallen to Apple's siren song and abandoned all their years of R&D, instead licensing one of the iOS clones. (At least it was Microsoft's iOS clone rather than Google's clone, which makes them a little different than most of the sheep.)

But what does that matter? These are little boxes running LInux. There will eventually be other little boxes running Linux (even if they end up being ones where you have to trash the iOS or iOS clone that ran on it and install Linux yourself). I'm having plenty of fun writing my own apps for my N900, and I fully intend to port them right on to whatever my next portable Linux box happens to be...