Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
[...]
EDIT. http://neo900.org/donate-iban
Yep, this is the right one :-)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
@joerg_rw:
Since you have the e-mail adresses I think it would be best to send an "official" e-mail to actually ask for the money.
There have been multiple risk part warnings in this thread and not all of your customers might be watching this thread so closely.

Sending an e-mail would show everyone this time you're serious.
It should contain the info about prices, "donation" handling and e-mail/paypal you gave in your last post plus a realistic deadline (people might be on holiday).
Hi Sulu!
Thanks for the suggestion, actually that's exactly what we're planning to do - just we only want to start with it when the webshop customer order page is working, so we don't send a "please already act while we're still building the infra" mail and then a second one a week later.

cheers
jOERG

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the hard work.

Since things are moving on now, and you are starting to create the shop. Will there be an option for selecting the keyboard layout, i.e. german?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mithrandir For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
I'd just like to say I've been following this thread quietly with interest for a long time now. You guys have made great progress and, and I love the open approach you have taken - part of the fun of backing a project like this is sharing the highs and lows through the process. I will love my Neo900 even more when it arrives knowing all the hard work that went into the hardware design.

I'll probably wait until the webshop opens to up my donation - still very keen though! I just found it a bit unnerving when I donated the first 200EUR (PayPal) and didn't receive any confirmation.

Joerg, I appreciate this might be a difficult quesiton to answer, but if you had to estimate the % completion of the project (or if you like, the % of risk left), what would you say?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mithrandir View Post
Thanks for the hard work.

Since things are moving on now, and you are starting to create the shop. Will there be an option for selecting the keyboard layout, i.e. german?
Of course we'll add an option to select such stuff like kbd layout in webshop. Just I can't guarantee we will find the right keymats for everybody.

Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
I'd just like to say I've been following this thread quietly with interest for a long time now. You guys have made great progress and, and I love the open approach you have taken - part of the fun of backing a project like this is sharing the highs and lows through the process. I will love my Neo900 even more when it arrives knowing all the hard work that went into the hardware design.

I'll probably wait until the webshop opens to up my donation - still very keen though! I just found it a bit unnerving when I donated the first 200EUR (PayPal) and didn't receive any confirmation.

Joerg, I appreciate this might be a difficult quesiton to answer, but if you had to estimate the % completion of the project (or if you like, the % of risk left), what would you say?
Sorry we didn't send out confirmation for PP donations yet, since PP already does. We'll send a mail to all donors/customers with the credentials to log in to the webshop customer's order check page

I'll try to answer the % questions by giving a very rough estimate. I can be wrong on it!
project completion technically 50%, total (incl organizational, infra and all) 80%
risk for the project to fail hard: 1...3% (thanks to the N900 we found now, was higher before) *), risk we can't reach all features we hope for right now: 15% (e.g. in Pyra it turned out the lead time for WLAN module might be some 6 or 9 months, which often means "forget this component")
Again this are numbers based on a guts feeling only.

*) The fact that we transformed all donations into proper down payments (actually credits) internally and are now handling all further payments as such down payments / credits linked to a normal commercial (pre)order may tell about the trust we/I put in the project actually succeeding, since when it would fail then Neo900 UG would go bankrupt on paying back the credits and I'm the one liable in that case.

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2015-03-27 at 03:43.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Of course we'll add an option to select such stuff like kbd layout in webshop. Just I can't guarantee we will find the right keymats for everybody.
I can offer two original german keymats in perfect condition if I get two english keymats in equal condition in return.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
I can offer two original german keymats in perfect condition if I get two english keymats in equal condition in return.
Of course Neo900 UG will support and coordinate such community level mutual help. Eventually (please not yet!) you can send in e.g. keymats and we will ship according swap keymats packed together with your device (unless we expect noone of our customers will be interested in getting what you provided). Please note that you will still need to somewhat coordinate with other users, since Neo900 UG can not provide any warranty for items we received from customers and send them out to other customers. Minimum when you want one of those customer-provided German keymats for example, you'd need to clearly state that you want resp are OK with a customer-swap item and not something Neo900 UG sells to you (aka "no warranty"). Anyway, we'll for sure find a way to manage this

Thanks for the proposition.

/j

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
I have 1x German, 1x Spanish and 1x US. Would gladly swap the German and the Spanish for two US ones.

REQUEST REQUEST REQUEST PLEASE
Could some nice guy post a video on Youtube showing how to swap keymats?
I have a feeling a could do it, but need an easy-to-follow tutorial.
This way I could put the US keymat on my "production" N900 (I've remapped the keyboard, but it's still odd).
THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKS IN ADVANCE

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Yes, reinob, you can do it.
But sorry, swapping the keymats is much easier than making a Youtube tutorial

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
@reinob:
Here's a N900 disasembly video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVEHm325-z8

The keymat is removed at 3:50, while the display unit is already removed.
I can't find it but iirc there was a video some years ago showing some guy casually replacing an N900 keymat in like 30 seconds, without any sort of disassembly except for the keymat bezel.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!