Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
I'm also for A, seems most logical and compatible.

Ah yeah misunderstood then. For infrared it doesn't matter that much in my opinion. If it is easier to build it can be B either.
But only A or B.
Have me in mind for one of these OH. Seems to be really cool - but only if there will be some Calls/Apps supporting the technologies. :/

Last edited by CLRS530; 2014-01-25 at 16:49.

Posts: 562 | Thanked: 2,744 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Espoo, Finland
checked quickly, D9 is wider than there is space between edge and usb connector..
or i need to use completely different connector ...
small, robust, competitive priced, available ...äh

D9 why so big...

couldn't resist make some sketching...

USB micro connector is there to allow charging when this TOH is connected, as the phones own usb connector goes behind d-sub. (it is connected to the 5VIN dc input pogo)

(I have to check does this have effect on handsfree/echo cancellation as the top mems microphone is now located behind the D-sub connector.. small hole close to the jolla -logo)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kimmoli For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Why not just use FT232 and connect to already avaible USB and make USB host work on Jolla?

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Why not just use FT232 and connect to already avaible USB and make USB host work on Jolla?
I did think about this first... but
I will not even try to get USB host working...

and i would need to get micro usb male connector plugged in while inserting toh...

If and when USB host works, one can use external powered usb hub with ready usb-232 cables. and there is no fun with that.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kimmoli For This Useful Post:
Why not integrate a simple micro adapter in the other half to make the rs232 pluggable? I think this would look much better and you can use this adapter with other fancy pluggables.

Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Have you tried some sketching with the connector on the side, opposed to the hardware volume and power keys? This way, the Jolla would be easy to handle, as the large plug would not be in the palm, nor on fingers holding the Jolla on the left side (if you are right-handed of course). Additionally, it would keep the phone thin, wouldn't block the micro-USB plug nor the microphone, and would be easy to put in a jean's pocket.

Or on the bottom, but the orientation may be an issue for some uses.

Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by kimmoli View Post
checked quickly, D9 is wider than there is space between edge and usb connector..
or i need to use completely different connector ...
small, robust, competitive priced, available ...äh

D9 why so big...
What about using instead a RJ45 connector, as e.g. in Cisco consoles?
Yes, it would require a RJ45-to-DB9 adapter cable for typical usage, but thinking about the bulkyness of a DB9 male+female when connectors are mated together, that would put a lot of strain on the PCB, and a RJ45 could be a little more on the lightweight side.

Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
Have you tried some sketching with the connector on the side, opposed to the hardware volume and power keys?
now i have..

Originally Posted by minimos View Post
What about using instead a RJ45 connector, as e.g. in Cisco consoles?
I have some personal issues against RJ45, but i agree about the mechanical issues with bulky D9.

Tags
jolla, the other half