Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by xman View Post
Interesting thread. I'm surprise no one has mention https://jitsi.org/.

plus:
- work on windows, linux and macs
- can do it all in one cliet (voip, dktp sharing, im (with multi serv's),
- has settings for video quality control amoung other advance settings
- is completely open source
- I was pleased with the quality (more or less )
- you can set up a free contact to video/call/im from.
- you can set up a home serer to do all this through if you want complete control
- easy to set up (using jitsi xmpp service)
- I'm sure a few more I'm forgetting

Minus:
- uses Java as it's main platform.
- Interface design is okay feels a little dated.
- jitsi provide contact can't be reach by regular phones.
- no maemo native version.
- a few others I may be forgetting

Overall, closest thing to a skype replacement I've seen so far. Have a look I curious as to what you guys think.

x
As a long time Jitsi user, the biggest issue I have with it is every time you switch computer / mobile device , the encryption key needs to be verified again.
This is a cumbersome procedure to impose on less technical people that don't care about privacy anyway and it would be better if Jitsi could store multiple encryption keys per user to cover all known computers.

So that means even more work to convince contacts to switch to Jitsi (de ja vu 2003 trying to move them from Yahoo to Skype)

Of course the point of Jitsi is encryption. It can encrypt Yahoo, MSN and Google voice as well as native XMPP.

Over long distances the video quality seems better than Skype on many occasions but drop outs or freezes can occur as the program does not try much to get the best possible fluent quality settings.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 283 | Thanked: 276 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ uk or @Pai,Mae Hong Son, Thailand
@ste-phan
I am also a Jitsi user. I may be wrong but regarding the encryption keys, my understanding is that this is only for the so-called 'secure chat' feature. The encryption for voice calls is seamless... That, at least, what i gleaned from the manual.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to macey For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by macey View Post
@ste-phan
I am also a Jitsi user. I may be wrong but regarding the encryption keys, my understanding is that this is only for the so-called 'secure chat' feature. The encryption for voice calls is seamless... That, at least, what i gleaned from the manual.
That could well be as there are indeed two encryption protocols being used , ZRTP (video - voice) and OTR (chat) if I recall correctly.

Mostly a video call is established after a text chat, and keeping encryption on over the whole line is not yet a fluent experience.

On the Jolla Myriam Android VM Jitsi only works well for text chats as far as my trials have shown.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
@xman

Regarding:-
"- no maemo native version."
You don't need another client for SIP under maemo as 'vanilla' maemo
can handle SIP..
Hey mace, I would love to use the built in sip client, but will that cover I'm, voice and video like skype does? From what I've seen not all voip providers support video/im. Which would be why I would love to set up a home machine just for that. It would be could to buy one of these little cheap arm/atom miniPC and step up linux for the sole purpose of be a server for moms jitsi .

x

The Following User Says Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
That could well be as there are indeed two encryption protocols being used , ZRTP (video - voice) and OTR (chat) if I recall correctly.

Mostly a video call is established after a text chat, and keeping encryption on over the whole line is not yet a fluent experience.

On the Jolla Myriam Android VM Jitsi only works well for text chats as far as my trials have shown.
Hey ste-phan, pretty much what macey said. In use it can be let say less than user friendly sometime, but you can still get the semi-secure (unverified) encryption if the full encryption is too difficult. My girl managed to figure it out while away and she not a fan of difficult .

Also this could change if more ppl started using it over Skype. I mean we live in a time where some folks have Skype Facebook msgr, hangouts, FaceTime, voip, viber (does voice right?) and probably a few more too. The point is it's prime time for this to gain traction I would think. I think its really cool that folks on this board are already using it.

x

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
If we can get a compile of Chrome working with the new APK converter plugin there is Skype working from Android.
Here is the work thread http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1439912
here is where working apps including Skype are listed https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...yo8/edit#gid=0

The Following User Says Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 283 | Thanked: 276 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ uk or @Pai,Mae Hong Son, Thailand
Originally Posted by xman View Post
Hey mace, I would love to use the built in sip client, but will that cover I'm, voice and video like skype does? From what I've seen not all voip providers support video/im. Which would be why I would love to set up a home machine just for that. It would be could to buy one of these little cheap arm/atom miniPC and step up linux for the sole purpose of be a server for moms jitsi .

x
ippi.fr on the N900 vanilla client gives hd voice and also video. Also voicemail and messaging. Quality imo is better than skype.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to macey For This Useful Post:
ippi.fr on the N900 vanilla client gives hd voice and also video. Also voicemail and messaging. Quality imo is better than skype.
this ippi.fr you setup on the N900 is it SIP or XMPP based and is it secure or not?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
this ippi.fr you setup on the N900 is it SIP or XMPP based and is it secure or not?
https://www.ippi.com/

It's SIP & supposed to be end to end encrypted if you use Jitsi, probably not if you are just using N900 vanilla client. Needs someone cleverer that me to look into the security aspects, but I would say that I trust it more than I would skype....

Last edited by macey; 2014-09-21 at 10:13.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to macey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
If N900 vanilla SIP-client does not include encryption, then is it possible to write a Jitsi plug-in for N900's Conversations?
Best wishes.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:

Tags
fvck skype, imstillstanding, skypocalypse, spype