Posts: 134 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ New Jersey
tushyd - I'm very interested in your upcoming review of the HDMI output. Specifically - the claim by Archos that it displays "every Android screen." I want to know for sure whether this tablet displays more than movies and slide shows via HDMI.

Thanks,
MP3: Insignia NS-DV4G or IT/Canola

Originally Posted by DistantFire View Post
tushyd - I'm very interested in your upcoming review of the HDMI output. Specifically - the claim by Archos that it displays "every Android screen." I want to know for sure whether this tablet displays more than movies and slide shows via HDMI.
I'm still waiting on my stupid cables... but in the meantime I can direct you to Charbax's "review" videos on youtube. (Charbax's reviews while useful in some ways mostly just praise whatever device Archos has put out)

I think it's his first video on the Archos 70 that shows it plugged into the TV. Skip to about 8:40 to see it plugged into his TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK3ov...eature=related

From the looks of it, I think you plug the 70 into the TV using HDMI, use the widget to switch modes and then your desktop is viewable on the screen. I think this mode turns the touchscreen into a trackpad so you can mouse-around on the external display.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Here's a Archos 70 review on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHRS46vQoVc

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Have you ever tried to tether your phone with your Archos 70 and how good is it if you have? That will be the main reason I will buy this tablet, is to carry it outside my house and use my phone as a 3G modem to browse the internet. Thanks.

I've got a SGS I9000.
If this thing has USB input (not sure if HOST/OTG is necessary) the SGS can automatically function as a modem.
It can do also (tether) via Wifi, but USB allows for a better connection and less battery strain on the SGS.
With 2GB monthly on my plan, it would be an ideal solution for people with large data plans.

The android 2.2 update is out today. I really hope you can give us some update of the improvement. Any flash, any bluetooth tethering, etc. Thanks.

Posts: 134 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ New Jersey
Well youtube has plenty of demo clips of the Archos 70, and some even show the HDMI output in use. It sure seems to do what I want from my next tablet. Now I'd like to hear (first hand opinion from an owner) or see (youtube) how it works with an attached keyboard (usb or bluetooth) while displaying on an HD TV.

Ever monotonous, I'm still trying to see if this could act as a make-do PC by plugging (or tethering) a keyboard and big screen display.

It is starting to look as if this might be the one, though.
MP3: Insignia NS-DV4G or IT/Canola

Well, obviously this is pretty late, but I figured I could resurrect this a bit.

As far as 2.2's update... there are things to like and things not to like. Actually mostly not to like. The Archos 70 definitely hangs more often with 2.2 installed, I have to force reboot it far more often than I had to earlier. I have a male microusb to female USB adapter, but I can't seem to get anything to work on it. I've tried keyboards, flash drives, mice... it's quite a bummer. The adapter works because if I use a male-male usb cable and plug it into my computer, the tablet sees the connection and asks me if I want to mount the SD card.

Obviously I had to re-install gapps4archos2.2 to get the market and other google apps on there. Sort of a pain but whatever.

The lack of RAM is really starting to stand out now. I usually have to go in and manually kill apps so the tablet doesn't come to a screeching halt.

I still stand by my original statement that if you want a casual device, then this is a decent choice, but if you're serious at all about it then I would look elsewhere.

I have been using my Archos 70 for about 3 weeks now and I love it. It is more like a big android phone with no phone function, so no expensive phone contract. But it can tether with your 3G cell phone or use WIFI signal and use sip phone on it. A lot of apps and a lot of them are very useful. The screen is awesome, big and clear, good battery live. I also bought a bluetooth GPS receiver to connect to it (too bad there is no GPS function on the tablet) and use google map on the road. So smooth after the latest SW upgrade. Now, when I look back to the screens of my N800 and 770, they are so small.

@racky

Seriously? I've been more and more disappointed with this tablet.

NOTE TO EVERYONE: DO NOT BUY THE ARCHOS 70

256mb RAM = massive slowdowns
Also they've underclocked the CPU to 800mhz!!!! They advertise 1ghz. Archos sucks.