Active Topics

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
Hey lorelei, good work.

Would you (or someone less lazy than myself) add this info to the wiki?

IMHO this is invaluable information, as it is bound to happen to many people over the course of time.
Um... what's the prupose of the lock code?

What's the purpose of a publicly viewed WiKi?

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Um... what's the prupose of the lock code?

What's the purpose of a publicly viewed WiKi?

1. Results from this forum show up on google very often.

2. Anyone smart enough to find the tablet wiki are smart enough to run a google search.

3. Putting the info in the wiki makes it easier for legit tablet users to find a solution for their locked tablet problem and makes it less likely that we will get a repeat thread started.

The Following User Says Thank You to JayOnThaBeat For This Useful Post:
I just used this script and it worked fine for me.

N810 with $LOCK_OFFSET = 0x40024;

Thanks!!!!!!!

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 641 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by munky261 View Post
Does the offset govern the length of the code it is looking for?
The offset tells the script where to start looking for the code on the raw partition. There's another variable to change in order to modify the length of the string to retrieve, but it is currently set to 10 characters which is the maximum size of the lock code.

Probably the correct offset is 0x40028, upon further inspection of the dump, so that it will work for a code of any length up to the maximum 10 digits. For me it worked with a shorter offset, since I'm not using the full length of lock code the device offers...

Posts: 269 | Thanked: 1,096 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hampshire, UK
For my N810 running 5.2008.43-7 the offset was different than any of those suggested so far, but the method still works once the offset is known.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
1. Results from this forum show up on google very often.

2. Anyone smart enough to find the tablet wiki are smart enough to run a google search.

3. Putting the info in the wiki makes it easier for legit tablet users to find a solution for their locked tablet problem and makes it less likely that we will get a repeat thread started.

I'd go with number 3... It may provide some insulation from those smart enough to Google (just about everyone) but not smart enough to expand the search for a WiKi.

^Them's the ones I was worried about. The opportunist's.

If a WiKi entry ultimately means less hits because the question is posted on this forum less often... then #3 makes sense.

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
can this script be harmful in any way? I actually would like to find out what my lock code is since I cannot use the lock feature. The N800 was given to me by a friend two years ago, and the lock code is long forgotten.

*EDIT* Well I tried it anyway because I was too curious and it worked :P I can finally lock my device!

Last edited by dantonic; 2009-10-25 at 05:03.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 641 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Switzerland
Unless modified, the script won't do any arm, since it only reads a few raw bytes from the internal memory, without ever writing anything there.

The Following User Says Thank You to lorelei For This Useful Post:
Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
This works here too:

grep -A 13 lock_code /dev/mtd1 | tail -1

The Following User Says Thank You to R-R For This Useful Post:
Posts: 154 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by R-R View Post
This works here too:
YES! Ever since buying a used 770 I have dreaded the possibility of touching the "Lock device" option by mistake. Your grep command worked perfectly, returning the lock code set by the previous owner (and not known to the eBay merchant who sold the 770).

I tried to include your command in the quote, but it did not carry over. Here it is in a more readable font. It has to be run as root.

sudo gainroot
grep -A 13 lock_code /dev/mtd1 | tail -1

Thanks again