Has anyone had success flashing their 770 with the OS X flasher utilities (either CMD line or GUI flasher)? I get this error message either way:

Invalid FIASCO subblock count (2)

This is the file I've downloaded several times: SU-18_2006SE_1.2006.26-8_PR_F5_MR0_ARM.bin

Clocks in just over 64MB.

Thanks!

I don't believe that a maemo 2006 compatible flasher for mac osx has been released yet. The release notes that came with the BETA version of the new os were explicit about the fact that the old flashers will not work.

There is a new flasher for linux and one for windows. Perhaps a mac osx version will become available before the "official release" of the new OS?

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Newport Beach, CA
Yup, same error on my system under OS X 10.4.7

Guess we'll have to wait for a new OS X flasher utility before we can update.

Sigh,

Dave

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
The previous flasher (which I use in my GUI wrapper) was available here:

http://maemo.org/downloads/d3.php

The flasher.macosx which is currently there is identical to the previous version. I've asked Nokia to provide a new one.

Cheers,

Andrew

Thanks Andrew. Now it's just a waiting game, hopefully a short one at best.

Cheers,
Cornelius

I'm in the same boat. Well, a similar boat, only mine has holes in it and is sinking. I tried using the old flasher and got the same error message described in post #1. Then I downloaded the Windows flasher and tried upgrading using Windows, only my XP machine wouldn't even recognize the 770.

So I gave up and decided to live with Beta for now, but out of curiosity I went to tableteer.nokia.com on my 770 and tried to download a new theme. I realize now that maybe I should have left well enough alone. The tablet hung up on "installing" the Lila theme for a good five minutes, and I eventually pulled the battery out to reset it.

THEN I went back to tableteer.nokia.com (out of sheer idiocy) and tried to download Maemo Blocks, and that's when my 770 froze and went into a permanent rebooting mode.

So... is it safe to assume that the only way I can fix this now is by reflashing via Linux? I've been lurking on the ITT forums for a while now, and that's the only thing I've seen that might remedy my problem.

And if so, is it possible to emulate Linux on OS X? I've installed Fink, but Fink's "gui" interface is a not-very-funny punchline--I have no idea how to use it, and the help manual is written for experienced Linuxers.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm currently looking around for neighbors/friends who have Linux so I can try on a "real" machine, but in the meantime, my 770 is dead to me.

(Note to self: read release notes from now on.)

Scurzuzu-

I haven't tested using the flasher-2.0 on Ubuntu on a mac laptop, but I do use the Ubuntu live CD on a windows machine to do all the flashing of my 770 with flasher-2.0 without any issues. You can download an iso of the PPC or Intel Ubuntu live cd from http://www.ubuntu.com/download and give that a try.

I generally use a small USB Thumbdrive to store a copy of flasher-2.0 and the images that I may want to flash onto my 770, and then copy them off the USB drive to the my home directory under Ubuntu, go into a terminal session, give flasher-2.0 execute permissions (chmod +x flasher-2.0) and then follow the rest of the flasher instructions.

Good luck, and let us know if the PPC Ubuntu works with flasher-2.0 (I haven't seen that answered anywhere yet).

Andras

Thanks for the advice on Ubuntu. I downloaded the LiveCD for Ubuntu, burned a disc image of the iso, and presto! Ubuntu on my iBook! Very impressive.

But flasher-2.0 doesn't seem to work with it. I get the following error message:
cannot execute binary file
I also tried flasher.linux_ppc and got the same error message that's already been reported with Mac OS X's flasher:
Invalid FIASCO subblock count(2)
So as soon as I have access to a WindowsXP box, I'm going to try the Ubuntu LiveCD on that. I'm at least optimistic now (last night I was seriously considering putting the 770 on Ebay and washing my hands of it).

I can't believe how cool Ubuntu is, by the way. If I didn't love OS X I'd be installing it on my iBook tonight. Maybe some day I'll feel brave enough to set up a dual-boot arrangement. Thanks for the tips!

Last edited by Scurzuzu; 2006-07-02 at 01:26.

flasher-2.0 495344 flasher utility (Linux on Intel x86) utility for the Nokia 770 and for IT 2006 SE
wont run on a PPC mac, only the new mac intels most likely.

It worked (on my Windows box)!

I used an Ubuntu LiveCD (I recorded the .iso to disc using ISO Recorder) and restarted XP, Ubuntu started up, I opened the terminal and followed the standard instructions from there. My 770 is back in action, and now using the 2006 OS.

Thanks again for your advice, Andras.

(I realize this still doesn't answer the first post's question; my guess is that as of 1 July 2006, there is simply no way to upgrade using Mac OS X.)