Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
The proposal is to convince them to do it. I don't think the decisions are in the hands of Quim Gil or any single individual, so any enhancement needs to be brought to the table, discussed, justified, then developed. The proposal opens it up to discussion and then starts the justification.

I think it'd work better if we say "Please, maemo team!" instead of "Damn you, maemo team!" and show that the consumer desire justifies the development resources. I'd write it myself, but unless it's a shell script I can't code my way out of a wet paper bag.

The Following User Says Thank You to thoughtfix For This Useful Post:
I use USB Modem. Cheap and works perfectly. DUN not PAN, though. Link

Works perfectly on WinMo5 with the AKU3 update? Which phone, service, and software version do you use, jhford? I'll test this software when I get home, but still think it's best that the tablet support PAN

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Unfortunately an installable deb will result in a poor user experience the first time the user tries to set up their Tablet (and any time thereafter when they flash the device). The reason being that the Phone Wizard kicks in during the initial setup process and BEFORE the user has had a chance to install the PAN deb, so the user will experience an inability to pair his PAN phone (since it has no DUN service/profile) long before he is able to install the deb.

Who will explain this (I'll be charitable here) "odd" behaviour to the new Windows Mobile user? Will a Windows Mobile user think "gee, what a slick device" when he has to quit the phone wizard, download a deb, then go back and re-run the Phone Wizard? Doubtful. And imagine the response this behaviour will get Nokia if a reviewer happens to have a PAN-only Windows Mobile phone - the Tablet will get a slating. As usual.

In addition, the need to install a deb before establishing PAN connectivity makes it impossible to reflash a device then install applications if the only connectivity the user has is a PAN phone (ie. no WiFi). Due to the prevelance of 3G/HSDPA connections some users are beginning to migrate to mobile-only broadband. I suppose the user could keep a local copy of the PAN deb on SD card, however it still means more effort on the part of the user and also means the users require more "knowledge" to use the Internet Tablet than should be considered reasonable (for a consumer device).

In short, an official firmware based solution is necessary that fully integrates PAN as an equal alongside DUN and WiFi connectivity options. Anything less will result in a horrible user experience.

The deb option, due to it's Phone Wizard shortcomings, should only be considered as a short term option until the full PAN functionality can be supported in an official firmware release.

The Following User Says Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Valid point, Millhouse!

jhford: I tried installing usbmodem but Bluetooth will not "enable" even though USB and Infrared will.

Originally Posted by thoughtfix View Post
Works perfectly on WinMo5 with the AKU3 update? Which phone, service, and software version do you use, jhford? I'll test this software when I get home, but still think it's best that the tablet support PAN
I'm using BigJ's Revision 1.6u (FINAL!) ROM updated: 5/22/07 for Sprint PPC6700 WM5 available on PPCGeeks.com.

Second draft, added resources and changed some wording:

Abstract:
One of the primary advantages to Nokia Internet Tablets over web-capable phones is the ability to get online regardless of carrier or data service technology. The Tablets do not require a contract or monthly fee. This is a perfect compliment toSmartphones in that the smartphone can provide features not included in the Internet Tablets: calendars, task management, contact management, and the Bluetooth uplink to the Internet.

Some smartphone platforms are ditching the Bluetooth Dial-Up Networking feature in favor of Bluetooth Personal Area Networking. PAN can fully replace and enhance DUN and it is likely that future devices and carriers will support PAN over DUN. TheNokia Internet Tablets currently support DUN only, leaving users with PAN-only phones unable to connect through their phones. They must rely on spottyWiFi hotspot coverage.

To stay future focused, enhance market appeal, and retain current consumer loyalty, it is essential for the Maemo team to add Bluetooth PAN functionality to Nokia Internet Tablets.

Proposal:
Enhance the current Phone applet and Connection Manager to include Bluetooth PAN support. This will include

* The ability for the Bluetooth pairing wizard to detect PAN functionality.
* The ability for the user to select PAN for internet access. Currently, connection types are Packet Data, Data Call, and WiFi. PAN would be added to this.
* Adding seamless connection scripts to the Connection Manager so a PAN connection is as easy as a DUN or WiFi connection.

It is essential that this be added to the main firmware of the tablet to keep behavior consistent for all users.

Technical requirements:
Most of the technical details on adding PAN have already been worked out by users. There are already workarounds that allow users to add their own connection scripts to use a PAN phone. There are disadvantages to these scripts:

* They require firmware modification of the Internet Tablet.
* They require root access on the tablet - something dangerous for novice or intermediate users.
* The scripts are not well documented and may be inconsistent between users or tablets.

The scripts can be used by Maemo developers as a basis on which to deploy this functionality. With all the hard work done, it's just a matter of cleaning up the scripts, creating an installer, and adding a few buttons to the Connection Manager.

Resources:

* https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1195
* http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...74&postcount=5
* http://maemo.org/community/wiki/HOWT...oothNetworking
* http://maemo.org/community/wiki/blue...ectionmanager/

The Following User Says Thank You to thoughtfix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thoughtfix View Post
jhford: I tried installing usbmodem but Bluetooth will not "enable" even though USB and Infrared will.
First, I just noticed that BigJ has posted a new Rom. Since I love his stuff, I'm downloading it now.
Second, here's how to setup the USBModem connection on an N800.
On your phone:
Turn on bluetooth and launch USBModem and "enable" it so the N800 can see it and recognize DUN. On the N800:
Control Panel
Bluetooth: On and visible
Devices
New
It should find your phone and DUN

Connectivity:
Connect automatically: Phone connection
Search interval: I have it set to never
Connections:
Create a new connection using you cell providers requirements. I use Sprint.
Data call
Dial up number: #777 for me
Finish

Phone:
Pick your phone
OK

You're done. Click the Connection icon in the top status bar on the N800 and select the connection you just created.

Should work.
Let me know.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Daniel, looks good but I would recommend rewording the last sentence of the last para where you spell out the work needed to fix this problem - if there's one thing developers hate it's non-developers spelling out how the job should be fixed!

I would suggest adding the word "hopefully" at the very least, as in "hopefully it's just matter of cleaning up the scripts, etc." - this makes it sound better/more palatable for the developers while getting the same message across.

Finally, why is an installer necessary (as mentioned in last para/last sentence) if this fix is to be part of the main firmware? Or is the installer a stop-gap measure?