OK, let me be more specific Voice is minimal. Maybe 6 sms/day. Data is heavier - 1 gig +/month. I'd like to tether the phone to my mac. Will be in and around Perth most of the time, but will travel in WA somewhat. Is that the info you need? What is flagfall?

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
ye its very pricey down here in general. wont find much cheaper and if you do it's bound to have some sort of extra cost. like high call rates and flag-fall.

are you planning to make much calls or mainly use data??? the prepaid plans i gave you are overall good for calls and data, but if you only mainly using data then there could be something else for ya.

'just saw your response'

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
there you go

http://prepaidplans.com.au/category/...20Data%20Plans

it appears vingin is the best if your using data mainly. virgin also piggy backs their network off optus which is good.

flag-fall is the cost of the initial connection of a phone call. so you pay 50c flagfall + 40c per min per call for example.

Last edited by felbutss; 2010-03-06 at 16:57.

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Fremantle, W. Australia
Originally Posted by efeinblatt View Post
Voice is minimal. ... Data is heavier - 1 gig +/month. I'd like to tether the phone to my mac.
Tethering is not an issue here. Carriers do not distinguish.

You might be best with a data plan, ie a SIM intended for modems. But they usually allow voice calls too, at maybe 50c/min. Your problem might be in passing credit check for a postpaid. Can you get a local to order it for you?

Exetel is very good value at 1.5c/MB:
http://www.exetel.com.au/residential-hspa-pricing.php

On prepaid, '3' have 2Gb for $29.
http://www.three.com.au/cs/ContentSe...=1221530707570

Prepaid is a pain generally with data. You might want to get a cheap phone for voice, and just use the n900 for data and voip. Ideally you would get a Next-G (850MHz 3G) phone for country use, if best coverage is important.

Beware of high excess charges on postpaid plans.

ps. ah! I missed that 1GB "bonus" credit promo on virgin prepay. Sorry, that does look attractive.

Last edited by myk; 2010-03-07 at 13:36.

Thanks myk. I do have a vodafone usb broadband stick from my last visit, and I did think of taking out the sim and putting it into my phone. (You're right, as I remember it does have a phone number associated with it.) But, I think that the virgin plan will probably come it just as cheap or cheaper, so I'll probably go with that one. I do have a UK SIP 'account', which will be helpful, but I wonder what people use in Australia for SIP calling.

OH, one other thing. Next-G is 850mhz? That's good because I have an unlocked blackberry that works on that frequency if I want to use Telestra for voice. (This is what you were suggesting, right?)

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Fremantle, W. Australia
for VoIP in Australia: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/107

Try mynetfone whirlpool plan, Pennytel, ...

The Telstra 850MHz network has the best rural coverage, but everybody covers the major towns. 3 roams to telstra outside the city, where data is 50c/MB.

Originally Posted by efeinblatt View Post
Thanks to everyone who responded. What a great group. The Optus Data Blaster seems to be good (but quite pricey compared to UK or US standards) Guess I'll go that route unless someone comes up with another suggestion. BTW, does anyone have experience with using a local VOIP/SIP provider in Australia? That would also be good for me while I'm there.
No, if you do go for Optus, don't get datablaster just becuase of it's name. Look at the one I mentioned: turbo cap.

You will get heaps more value out of that.

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Melbourne
I would suggest the following:

There is an Exetel plan that includes no calls. Data works out at $15 per GB with calls at 50c per minute. It's kind of a pay as you use contract for both data and calls, so if you don't make voice calls, you are would pay around $22/23 for 1.5 GB of data.

http://www.exetel.com.au/residential...pa-pricing.php

They run on the Optus network and there is no contract.

The Virgin plan looks good too.

MyNetFone and Pennytel are the main players for VoIP. MNF have a better reputation for stability, but are slightly more expensive. Pennytel have a reputation for low cost calls.

I use both(I call Oz to UK regularly) and can highly recommend them both. It is usually good to have two providers, in case one has issues.

On the Pennytel free untimed plan, I can call a landline in the UK for 8c for an untimed call!

Last edited by zaksloan; 2010-03-09 at 00:24.

The Following User Says Thank You to zaksloan For This Useful Post:
Thanks. What a helpful group. You Aussies are great!

Originally Posted by zaksloan View Post
I would suggest the following:

There is an Exetel plan that includes no calls. Data works out at $15 per GB with calls at 50c per minute. It's kind of a pay as you use contract for both data and calls, so if you don't make voice calls, you are would pay around $22/23 for 1.5 GB of data.

http://www.exetel.com.au/residential...pa-pricing.php

The Virgin plan looks good too.

MyNetFone and Pennytel are the main players for VoIP. MNF have a better reputation for stability, but are slightly more expensive. Pennytel have a reputation for low cost calls.

I use both(I call Oz to UK regularly) and can highly recommend them both. It is usually good to have two providers, in case one has issues.

On the Pennytel free untimed plan, I can call a landline in the UK for 8c for an untimed call!

They run on the Optus network and there is no contract.