Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
Error during lib files installing;
dpkg: error processing /var/cache apt/archive/libc6_2.9-4ubuntu3_armel.deb (--unpack):
unable to create './usr/share/man/man8/iconvconfig.8.gz':
no such file or directory
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (broken pipe) Error were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.9-4ubuntu3_armel.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Ok, I am in dependency hell. I can't get most of the things to install.

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
..ewe.

Which did you install? Mer or Ubuntu? Also, can you post your /etc/apt/preferences and /etc/apt/sources.list files?

Originally Posted by FRZ View Post
Error during lib files installing;
dpkg: error processing /var/cache apt/archive/libc6_2.9-4ubuntu3_armel.deb (--unpack):
unable to create './usr/share/man/man8/iconvconfig.8.gz':
no such file or directory
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (broken pipe) Error were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.9-4ubuntu3_armel.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
I've heard that this was actually a problem with Mer 0.9 and should be fixed in the 0.10 release. I think I ran into it at one time as well. The fix (for me) in the case of this file is to create the directory /usr/share/man/man8 and possibly create the file iconvconfig.8.gz
You can create directories from the command line with commands like these $sudo mkdir /usr/share/man/man8 and then $touch /usr/share/man/man8/iconvconfig.8.gz to create actual files. Next, proceed with the install making any other files you might need to have. You might want to reinstall the file later on, too.

Libc6 is a common library used by most of the major window managers and really this problem isn't related to e17. There appears to be a problem with one of the document packages and is related to the version of Mer and I believe has been fixed in the newer versions (which, unfortunately haven't been formally released).

If you have xchat, you might try the #mer or #maemo channels on freenode and see if someone there might have more details.

Last edited by neatojones; 2009-03-28 at 05:30.

Originally Posted by neatojones View Post
..ewe.

Which did you install? Mer or Ubuntu? Also, can you post your /etc/apt/preferences and /etc/apt/sources.list files?
Installing on Mer;
/etc/apt/preferences/e17-svn_1.2.3-3_all.deb
/etc/apt/sources.list
ded http://potrs.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports jaunty main restricted universe multiverse

Installing on Mer;
/etc/apt/preferences/e17-svn_1.2.3-3_all.deb
/etc/apt/sources.list
ded http://potrs.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports jaunty main restricted universe multiverse
I'll assume you meant:
deb http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports jaunty main restricted universe multiverse

Try out the trick I mentioned above. Otherwise, you may be stuck waiting for a future release of Mer. Alternatively, you could try the ubuntu rootfs which hopefully does not have the problems that Mer 0.9 had with the documentation package.

If I remember correctly, you're missing the documentation files for several packages because either a documentation package was not installed that should have been or because a document stripping package was used that removed files that the packages are trying to access.

There may be simple fix. Since this is a Mer problem, you might try asking about it on the Mer thread.

FRZ: iirc, I think the last time I used Mer 0.9 image, I simply didn't do a sudo apt-get upgrade which avoided the problematic package upgrades.

If you get the chance to reinstall Mer and Mer 0.11 isn't out yet, with the more proper fix, you might try this.

The Following User Says Thank You to neatojones For This Useful Post:
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
FRZ: if you want to test latest images (even before they are released) install Xchat and come to #mer on FreeNode. If you use unreleased images, remember to make bug-reports

Originally Posted by meizirkki View Post
FRZ: if you want to test latest images (even before they are released) install Xchat and come to #mer on FreeNode. If you use unreleased images, remember to make bug-reports
I was trying last night but, i was up too long and got tired. I was in Mer using Xchat but for some reason I couldn't type in the search box for #maemo. And then even when I scrolled down the list to it, I couldn't select it or any channel from the list, so I just went to sleep. I will try in a little later. This time I don't mind reinstalling anyway. I have got my partitions to just the way I want them, even with an extra empty ext3 partition that I was thinking to maybe try ubuntu on it.

I was trying last night but, i was up too long and got tired. I was in Mer using Xchat but for some reason I couldn't type in the search box for #maemo. And then even when I scrolled down the list to it, I couldn't select it or any channel from the list, so I just went to sleep. I will try in a little later. This time I don't mind reinstalling anyway. I have got my partitions to just the way I want them, even with an extra empty ext3 partition that I was thinking to maybe try ubuntu on it.
I'm not sure why, but you can't type into that box in Maemo (bugs me too). But you can select that third option and then scroll down and find the maemo channel. It's a little temperamental, but it works. From that point, everything seems to work fine in Xchat. Honestly though, when possible I tend to use my desktop or laptop because typing on that little keyboard gets old really quick.

Tags
mer, ubuntu