I can't enable development mode as it seems to fail to turn on. Installation from non-store sources is enabled, and the device has full wifi connectivity. Reboot doesn't help either. Any ideas?

Video showing what happens: http://www.flickr.com/photos/5499135...in/photostream

Thanks!
Jamie

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
non-store sources can be disabled, it has nothing to do with developer mode.

Either you have wrong date in the device, which causes installation error.

Or your you have tried to update the PR release and kernel and basesystem are out of sync, in which case you have to google to see how to make your kernel and PR release to match eachother.

Worst case if you cannot follow google instructions is that you need to reflash the device.
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

Ah ok, I was under the impression turning on developer mode installed terminal and SDK apps, and hence non-store sources needed to be on.

The time and date are fine.

I've found with uname -a that my kernel is 2.6.32.54-dfl61-20121301, which seems correct for base system PR1.3 of MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan? (PR13 40.2012.21-3_PR_001)

When you say re-flash, do you mean factory default the device, or something lower level?

Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
Hmm... maybe it would be good to install a file manager like FileBox and fetch the syslog (/var/log/syslog) and/or the package manager logs (which I never remember where they are) and see what's the trouble

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
then my next question is how can you run uname -a if you don't have developermode/terminal in your device. Sounds like that you might have added some non standard apt repositories in the device, like harmattan-dev or rzr (which are NOT nokia signed), which will conflict the default repo packages and will block installation of developer mode.

If you still have root console access, you could just reinstall the nokia signing keys, if keys are out of sync.
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

Last edited by rainisto; 2012-10-21 at 10:30.

Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
then my next question is how can you run uname -a if you don't have developermode/terminal in your device. Sounds like that you might have added some non standard apt repositories in the device, like harmattan-dev or rzr (which are NOT nokia signed), which will conflict the default repo packages and will block installation of developer mode.

If you still have root console access, you could just reinstall the nokia signing keys, if keys are out of sync.
You can seemingly run uname -a from a terminal app I downloaded called mg-Terminal.

The only repositories I have added are to MeeCatalog, is that what you are talking about? I guess MeeCatalog is separate to the "main" repositories? Even then, I only went ahead and ticked the ones that were already present in MeeCatalog's settings menu, not added any manually.

I don't believe I have root access as running devel-su outputs "not found".

Originally Posted by minimos View Post
Hmm... maybe it would be good to install a file manager like FileBox and fetch the syslog (/var/log/syslog) and/or the package manager logs (which I never remember where they are) and see what's the trouble
I can't seem to see /var/log/ in FileBox, at the top of the file system I only see lost+found and user...

Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by jamoiholland View Post
I can't seem to see /var/log/ in FileBox, at the top of the file system I only see lost+found and user...
Go to Filebox settings and enable 'show root filesystem'

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by jamoiholland View Post
You can seemingly run uname -a from a terminal app I downloaded called mg-Terminal.

The only repositories I have added are to MeeCatalog, is that what you are talking about? I guess MeeCatalog is separate to the "main" repositories? Even then, I only went ahead and ticked the ones that were already present in MeeCatalog's settings menu, not added any manually.

I don't believe I have root access as running devel-su outputs "not found".
That is it...You have added repos from MeeCatalog which include the Harmattan SDK repo...My suggestion would be is to remove those repos using MeeCatalog and then trying enabling developer mode...

Next time, since you know you require developer mode, its best after a reflash first to enable developer mode then do other things

P.S. MeeCatalog adds the repos into /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ too so its not separated...

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
That is it...You have added repos from MeeCatalog which include the Harmattan SDK repo...My suggestion would be is to remove those repos using MeeCatalog and then trying enabling developer mode...

Next time, since you know you require developer mode, its best after a reflash first to enable developer mode then do other things

P.S. MeeCatalog adds the repos into /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ too so its not separated...
I removed all the MeeCatalog repos, rebooted, and no different. Then I uninstalled MeeCatalog, rebooted, and no difference. I still have the red exclamation mark in the white rounded square next to the Developer Mode button, is this denoting some issue with this?

When you say reflash, do you mean just "Settings -> Reset -> Clear Device" or actually flashing a file over USB for example like one does with Android?

If I do go down that route, is there a way to backup apps/settings to restore afterwards?

Thanks!