Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
New maps are out.

This time, I am retiring libosmscout map datasets. There was an error during import and, as I use very old version of that lib, I decided not to fight it, but drop that dataset. As nobody volunteered to support libosmscout backend (I think I notified regarding dropping support for it years ago), libosmscout backend will be also disabled in the upcoming official builds. Code is still there, just commented out via MACROs.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
As a simple user: what impact does this have on OSM Scout Server?
Is there something someone without programming skills can do on that side? As dropping functionality most time isn't a good thing.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
As a simple user: what impact does this have on OSM Scout Server?
Is there something someone without programming skills can do on that side? As dropping functionality most time isn't a good thing.
Re impact: it is used in non-default profile and I suspect that nobody is really using it, or very few. I have no stats to back it up, though.

I would expect that most are using default profile (Mapbox tiles, Valhalla routing, and GeocoderNLP search).

Without programming skills, not much can be done here.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Thanx for the explanation and many thanx for your ongoing support! My last donations (not just for you) are way to long ago. I have to make a donation round on the coming weekend, to honor the work you guys do.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
New maps are out.

This time, I am retiring libosmscout map datasets. There was an error during import and, as I use very old version of that lib, I decided not to fight it, but drop that dataset. [...]
Can you please keep the last successfully imported libosmscout map datasets accessible, at least for a while.

Side note: While I am primarily asking to have a chance to download them (I have not updated my map data for over a year on multiple OSM Scout Server installations), they might be of interest for any user of a OSM Scout Server version, which still includes the libosmcout backend (as I am, because of mainily using slightly older SFOS releases).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by olf View Post
Can you please keep the last successfully imported libosmscout map datasets accessible, at least for a while.

Side note: While I am primarily asking to have a chance to download them (I have not updated my map data for over a year on multiple OSM Scout Server installations), they might be of interest for any user of a OSM Scout Server version, which still includes the libosmcout backend (as I am, because of mainily using slightly older SFOS releases).
Dear Olf, unfortunately, it is impossible to provide the old imports in the infrastructure that we have. I have not designed my scripts, nor distribution path, nor OSM Scout Server with that in mind. As a result, we can provide one set of maps and that set has to be imported in one go. There is a handling of switch over from one set to another, but nothing more fancy. So, to start mixing imports, some new development has to be undertaken.

In retrospect, maybe I should have looked further when implementing maps distribution and used some packaging format for it. However, again, that requires some serious time investment. Something I am not planning as a priority, when you look into long least of issues to resolve.

Supporting old SFOS versions is not super easy due to changing names of dependencies, improvement of the tools (gcc and friends) and so on. Right now there are no changes in database formats, but at some it may come as well, which would make use of old server impossible with new maps. So, even with OBS builds, you should expect sunset for older SFOS versions in terms of support. But that, I believe, has been discussed earlier as well.

As for libosmscout library support, if you do prefer to use that, it is possible to switch to Karry's OSM Scout application. It surely is better than use of libosmscout backend on OSM Scout Server. Don't know how it supports old SFOS versions, but maybe grabbing older version would work.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
OSM Scout Server new release is out: 2.0.0

Changelog at https://github.com/rinigus/osmscout-...ases/tag/2.0.0

In this release, the server is split into two applications: server itself and GUI. While GUI helps you to configure the server and instruct it to manage maps, main work is done in separate server. Through this separation, it is possible now to have server running without interruptions due to GUI process launch. It also makes it easier to support different forms of automatic activation (DBus and network).

The both applications are packaged together, so not much changes for users. As a side effect of the split into two applications, Jolla Store seems to be further away.

The server supports DBus activation now, which simplifies access by Pure Maps (and other clients when they will implement it) to map matching (snap-to-road) functionality. As DBus service names changed, I will release soon a version of Pure Maps that is compatible with this release. Other APIs were kept the same.

The server supports now network activation that is similar to what is provided by systemd via socket activation. This will be used in Linux distributions lacking systemd (as postmarketOS and Ubuntu Touch) or if you wish to run server from Flatpak. For that, server runs in low-memory mode where it just listens to new connections to its port. On activity, full server is launched which will later exit when idle. On SFOS, systemd would take care of it, as before.

Valhalla version on SFOS has been updated to 3.1.0. That should be compatible with the current maps.

As mentioned before, libosmscout is now disabled in the distributed builds.

Updates in translations (thank you translators!) were incorporated few minutes ago.

Other changes include updates in Ubuntu Touch packaging (jonnius), support for SFOS My Backup (atlochowski), support for newer microhttpd by Thra11 during packaging for NixOS, addition of missing regions and some changes in docs shown via https://rinigus.github.io/osmscout-server/en/ .

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Dear Rinigus,

Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
Dear Olf, unfortunately, it is impossible to provide the old imports in the infrastructure that we have. I have not designed my scripts, nor distribution path, nor OSM Scout Server with that in mind. As a result, we can provide one set of maps and that set has to be imported in one go. There is a handling of switch over from one set to another, but nothing more fancy. So, to start mixing imports, some new development has to be undertaken.

In retrospect, maybe I should have looked further when implementing maps distribution and used some packaging format for it. However, again, that requires some serious time investment. Something I am not planning as a priority, when you look into long least of issues to resolve.
that is unfortunate (at the moment), but sure O.K.

Originally Posted by rinigus
Supporting old SFOS versions is not super easy due to changing names of dependencies, improvement of the tools (gcc and friends) and so on. [...]
The software aspects were not the point here; one has to deal with them, if on an older SFOS release.

Side note:
While I just stopped updating my Jolla 1 beyond SFOS 2.2.1, my "production" phone is at SFOS 3.2.1, because all newer releases (i.e., 3.3.0, 3.4.0, 4.0.1) exhibit flaws, which make them unsuitable for my production use.
But that is a quality assurance issue Jolla has, and nothing independent software developers should have to care about.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:
Very delayed maps update - new maps are out

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:

Tags
geocoder, linux, offline maps, router, sailfish os, tiles