Active Topics

Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Hi,

if you visit talk.maemo.org unregistered, you'll still see the notice about the 2016/2017 coding competition at the very top of each page:
Maemo Community e.V. - Call for Donations - Coding Competition
Hello Unregistered,

A long-awaited Coding Competition is just around the corner. We are planning this Competition to happen November 2016 till February 2017.

In order to make the Developer Regatta more interesting it should have a prize pool. There is no fixed amount so all donations are very welcome!

Please find info on the fundraiser HERE

Best regards
Ruediger 'Chemist' Schiller
Maemo Community e.V.
I'm sure most of you have clicked that notice away and the rest (like me) has probably adapted to ignore it, but I still find that such an outdated notice creates a bad impression - especially if it's placed so prominently.
I believe the easiest solution would be to simply hold another coding competition for 2018/2019. That way, only the two numbers in the current notice would have to be replaced.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
The notice is still there, even if you are registred just simply didn't bother to click the notice away. Seems like throughout the years my brain learned to ignore that part of the page comletely.

Last edited by Merienth; 2018-06-05 at 14:29. Reason: damn typos

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Merienth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Merienth View Post
The notice is still there, even if you are registred just simply didn't bother to click the notice away. Seems like throughout the years my brain learned to ignore that part of the page comletely.
Same here. I just clicked it away when creating this thread, so I assumed everyone else has either done that a long time ago, or has become blind for it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Merienth View Post
... wow. You can actually close the announcement? I'd never noticed the little 'x' in the top right corner.

Thanks so much. It's finally gone!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ThomasAH For This Useful Post:
Posts: 123 | Thanked: 268 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Yeah, one sucker (me) did not bother read properly that notice on December 2017, so i transferred small amount of funds for competition which was had ended more than half a year ago. Thanks for the closing tip. Gone for now for me.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tsippaduida For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Personally I do not mind that outdated notice (as I clicked it away long time ago). But I do get reminded of it from time to time when opening TMO unregistered.
I believe it is just lack of time (and/or experience/rights of people still active).
It is true, it should be either removed. Or changed to 2018/19

But what I really find annoying is that the power search does not work anymore (Google API v1 deprecate, changed to v2). Anyone experienced in web/html should get the change done pretty fast, or?

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
what I really find annoying is that the power search does not work anymore
"Anymore"? Are you saying it ever worked? I never used it myself, because wherever I tried, on whatever browser, ever in my life, it has always led to a blank page. Curiously, the only browser it has ever worked with is the stock browser on my daughter's old Android tablet.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I remember using it a lot some years back, so it must have worked at that time unless I'm getting a bit flaky

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Oh yes it worked like a charm (until end of last year?).

@pichlo
are you talking about the 'normal' search on top of page?
Or the power search on the right side.

Of course one may open google and type keywords together with (talk.)maemo.org. But as said a bit annoying. And sad!

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
But what I really find annoying is that the power search does not work anymore (Google API v1 deprecate, changed to v2). Anyone experienced in web/html should get the change done pretty fast, or?
I'm what most people call a web guy and could support a bit.

I have not worked with the new custom search, but a (really) quick glance at the documentation revealed that there could be some advantages to register as a non-profit at google if there's interest in doing so. PM me and I'll investigate further so we can continue via Mail.

cheers!
___
list of i486/noarch packages on openrepos (jolla tablet)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to velox For This Useful Post: