Active Topics

Has anyone had any luck getting jackd to run?

I've been messing around a bit, but haven't had any success:

# jackd -d alsa -d default -r 44100 -P

jackd 0.103.0
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details

JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
loading driver ..
apparent rate = 44100
creating alsa driver ... default|-|1024|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
ALSA: Cannot open PCM device alsa_pcm for playback. Falling back to capture-only mode
cannot load driver module alsa
no message buffer overruns

Anyone?

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
jackd would be of limited usefulness on the tablets because of their much lower specifications. Any reason for wanting to use jackd?

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
jackd would be of limited usefulness on the tablets because of their much lower specifications. Any reason for wanting to use jackd?
There's a few apps I'd like to try out, and they require jack.
I don't expect them to work fantastically, but I'd love to try anyway.

The ALSA port may already be in use. You may have to attach to esound to make it work.

Sevo

Originally Posted by sevo View Post
The ALSA port may already be in use. You may have to attach to esound to make it work.
Attach the applications to esound? or jack? I don't see an esd backend for jack.

I stopped multimediad and esd, ran lsof /dev/dsptask* to be sure nothing was in use, and get same error.

Oops, yes - jack would only get at the ALSA layer. I doubt that jack will default to /dev/dsptask* though, unless you set that at configure time - you may have to set that manually on the command line.

My only experiment so far was to set up pulseaudio to run on OS2006, with a remote server - which was fairly trivial, and would need merely some init script work to make it a system-wide default. As pa is a network-capable esd replacement, while jack is more suitable as a resource heavy processing chain host, it might be more interesting to build a end-user ready pulseaudio for Maemo, and do pulse-over-jack at the remote system.

Originally Posted by sevo View Post
Oops, yes - jack would only get at the ALSA layer. I doubt that jack will default to /dev/dsptask* though, unless you set that at configure time - you may have to set that manually on the command line.
I told it to use ALSA from the command line, and ALSA is by default configured to use /dev/dsptask0 for playback, and /dev/dsptask1 for recording.

I think I'm gonna give up for now

At least on Gentoo, jackd will default to /dev/dsp as the ALSA device - if it does not pick up the locally used device naming convention automatically during configure, you may have to set it explicitly.