Notices

hi i was with my friend today and he had a cool app on his blackberry called BBscanner and he was picking up police conversations with it, and i thought it was really cool, would it be possible to port something like this to the n900? this is the app i believe..... BBScanner

The Following User Says Thank You to killerjay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
It shouldn't be very difficult: doesn't seem much more than a browser front-end.

Although, I have no programming experience, so no comment on that from my end.
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

sorry to ask, but a browser front-end for what?

I have to ask (because someone will eventually)...is this legal? If not, sign me up!

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by killerjay View Post
hi i was with my friend today and he had a cool app on his blackberry called BBscanner and he was picking up police conversations with it, and i thought it was really cool, would it be possible to port something like this to the n900? this is the app i believe..... BBScanner
Please be very careful regarding apps in any way or form about Police scanning as it is illegal in many countries now but hey a scanner for amatuer radio frequencies or air traffic would be fantastic on the N900. wow what a thought .

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
Be sure to adjust your APN as well using the guide provided as it uses your carriers data.
That's where my assumption came from. Also some comments there refer to "other websites."

Correct me if I'm wrong.

(Also, I don't think many BBs come with those radios built in. )

EDIT: Like others have said: Please note your local laws.
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

Last edited by xomm; 2010-05-20 at 02:49.

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Norway
The BBScanner is a list of online streams that records and forwards police radio to the net. If you have the IP address (im not saying where to get it, but i think most people would be able to find it for their area just by searching for it) you can simply add it to your internet radio list on your N900.

Now you are allowed to press the thanks button since I helped you

EDIT:
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Please be very careful regarding apps in any way or form about Police scanning as it is illegal in many countries now but hey a scanner for amatuer radio frequencies or air traffic would be fantastic on the N900. wow what a thought .
They operate on their own frequencies, the N900 hardware is designed not to go to these frequencies (in fact its even cheeper to produce it this way). So you cant use the built in antenna.

Last edited by Siggen; 2010-05-20 at 02:55.

The Following User Says Thank You to Siggen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by killerjay View Post
This is a front-end for 'net based scanners. The N900 should work with some of them you just won't have the URLs handed to you by an app. But with a little work you can by-pass the gatekeepers. Try this with your N900:

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/
For this site you may have to choose iTunes in:
Player Selection

I don't have a list I can post and really hate to say this, but search for: public safety amateur net (or web) scanners
The web based would probably be the easiest to use.
Also look for URLs for streaming audio you can use in media players that support 'net radio stations.
Check your local laws.
That should get you started.
Take care.

Last edited by rustler; 2010-05-20 at 03:12. Reason: Player selection

The Following User Says Thank You to rustler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ CA, USA
In the USA it is legal to receive most unencrypted radio frequencies (those that are blocked by law are always disabled in retail scanning radios sold here).

Some agencies stream their dispatch over the internet for enthusiasts to listen to in other cities or if they don't have a scanner. You can search Google and find the same streams you would in that app.

Natively, these are over-the-air (usually analog) broadcasts similar to the FM radio you can pick-up with the N900 (commercial FM radio uses 87mHz through 108mHz here) but on a different part of spectrum (UHF and VHF).

I have always wondered if the crystal in my US N900 is the same as international versions (anyone?) and therefore capable of receiving more VHF frequencies since the FM radio band is different in each country.

unfortunatly im canadian and thats american, , my friend was picking up their radios and listening to their messages, is there any way to just port a blackberry app to maemo?