Notices

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Holland
Hello all,

I have been looking for a decent youtube handler for the N900. I have tried some, but awkward bugs and streaming problems were no rare occurances. IMO the ideal would be that videos start playing almoast immediatey after clicking on it, while the ones I tried relied on the inbuilt Media player, slowing down the user experience whilse launching and shutting down on every video. What is the best youtube handler/player for the N900?

Call me spoiled, but I've seen far dumber phones like n95 that handle youtube really rapidly in a (3rd party) app. There must be a decent one for the N900 was my thought, and I might have overlooked it. Sure the browser is excellent and all, but for quickly searching a vid I'd prefer an app.

So what do you use and is it working well? Or do you think there is no decent youtube player yet? Feedback is appreciated, maybe a poll coming up. Thanks in advance

Cutetube works best for me. I hear MediaBox is quite good but I haven't tested it much.

Posts: 265 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Sydney, Australia
ive only used mediabox with the youtube plugin and it works fine for me, no complaints
u could just install the main few youtube apps and try them out and then only keep your favourite one

The Following User Says Thank You to flipalong For This Useful Post:
C
u
t
e
t
u
b
e
!

For some reason I keep getting an error in Cutetube whilse trying to stream vids. Mediabox seems very nice, I also like how it does not depend on the inbuilt media player and easily goed fullscreen. I should try to upgrade/downgrade cutetube, witch repo holds the best version?

Extras-Devel, for sure. Google changed some settings on Youtube that broke the application but Marxian fixed it extremely quickly. You may be using a version from before that time.

Usual warnings apply for devel.

The Following User Says Thank You to Reffyyyy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Reffyyyy View Post
Extras-Devel, for sure. Google changed some settings on Youtube that broke the application but Marxian fixed it extremely quickly. You may be using a version from before that time.

Usual warnings apply for devel.
This was very helpful, thanks

Very responsive and nice quality too, but sometimes choppy. That could be due to my internet connection though, more testing needed. Has a slight edge over Mediabox in terms of video quality and audio syncing. Also Mediabox failed to browse through the video, starting it again from the very first second. Winner for now

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Los Angeles
i love cutetube. it is one of the rare apps i prefer to use over the website directly. no errors here with it. the only thing i noticed with my particular phone is that if you set the default setting to download hd res videos and you happen to choose a video that doesnt have hd, then the download fails every time. maybe this is known as ive never followed any other topics about cutetube. it would be nice to have a setting like "download highest quality available". but thats my only minor complaint. a great app imo

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Lima-Peru
Cutetube for me, great app and it is getting many updates.
great for watching, commenting downloading and off course unpload

cutetube for me. fast interface, streaming and downloading work without flaws. search also pretty fast. mediabox was always a bit slow on my device.
my 2 cents go to cutetube for the best youtube experience. i actually did not use youtube on my n900 before this app