Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Sometimes I wish Quim would still post at maemo.org...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Speaking as someone who came to maemo from a different dying platform, I would strongly recommend that a group of people put together mirrors of the maemo repositories, to gather together all the sources, tools, packages etc that Nokia currently host.

In the zaurus community, Sharp shut down their forums and downloads, and people had to trawl the internet for random downloads people had stashed. Then, as the community began to diminish as interest fell due to people upgrading to new devices or breaking them, individual's websites and repositories dropped off. A key member of the community had a disk failure and lost a lot of his source code, and wasn't interested in restoring it.

So hence I recommend a group of people cooperate in putting together an archive, and ensure it's spread across a few mirrored servers in case of disaster, and also to hand over in case people drop out.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to speculatrix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by speculatrix View Post
Speaking as someone who came to maemo from a different dying platform, I would strongly recommend that a group of people put together mirrors of the maemo repositories, to gather together all the sources, tools, packages etc that Nokia currently host.

In the zaurus community, Sharp shut down their forums and downloads, and people had to trawl the internet for random downloads people had stashed. Then, as the community began to diminish as interest fell due to people upgrading to new devices or breaking them, individual's websites and repositories dropped off. A key member of the community had a disk failure and lost a lot of his source code, and wasn't interested in restoring it.

So hence I recommend a group of people cooperate in putting together an archive, and ensure it's spread across a few mirrored servers in case of disaster, and also to hand over in case people drop out.
I like your idea but as you said

"...the community began to diminish as interest fell due to people upgrading to new devices or breaking them, individual's websites and repositories dropped off..."

You cant just force people to support outdated devices or waste time collecting garbage for an OS that is dead. Most good things are closed source anyway

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Most good things are Open Source, anyway.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 129 | Thanked: 321 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Finland (Turku)
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I think the best thing the Maemo community can do over the next year and a half is to transition to the MeeGo community, although I don't particularly like the MeeGo.com forums very much, and there haven't been any third-party ITT-style forums popping up elsewhere.
Just a quick opinion - I think this is the best way to go. Together we are stronger, and the Maemo community would bring a lots of activity to MeeGo forums (almost 900 users online right now @Maemo, 220 users @MeeGo).

The bad thing is, that the forum.meego.com bbs software isn't too inspiring. More "awesome" is needed.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stonik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 52 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Reading, Berkshire, UK
Please say, though that you'll continue to support the N900 - I have about another year to run on my current phone contract...

The Following User Says Thank You to alcockell For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by Stonik View Post
Just a quick opinion - I think this is the best way to go. Together we are stronger, and the Maemo community would bring a lots of activity to MeeGo forums (almost 900 users online right now @Maemo, 220 users @MeeGo).

The bad thing is, that the forum.meego.com bbs software isn't too inspiring. More "awesome" is needed.
It's vBullettin (why not phpBB3 which is FOSS?) so we can take - correction: Reggie can take - the forum theme and install it on meego forums and call it retromania.

I want my orange reply button, can't post without it.

I just hope that the silence from the most important people in here means that they are preparing something which they will announce us at some time

The Following User Says Thank You to fw190 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Most good things are Open Source, anyway.
Agree. But also most unfinished things are Open Source too.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Agree. But also most unfinished things are Open Source too.
There are many unfinished FOSS software out there, but the reason you know is due to the open nature.

Quite opposite the basic idea of FOSS, beside having a free beer, benefiting form the others work and contributing, is to have a possibility to fix and enhance the software once the original vendor drops it.

It is about of protecting of your investment. Users invest money in devices, in addition developers invest time (effort) and knowledge.

People tend to forget that.

Last edited by momcilo; 2011-08-26 at 19:33.

The Following User Says Thank You to momcilo For This Useful Post:

Tags
community, discussion, doom!, future, gloom!, meego, patience, qole rocks, smilebehappy:)