Posts: 415 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leeds UK
Whilst painfully waiting for my n900 to arrive, I've been looking around for a good sim only contract.

The best one for me (UK) seems to be with O2, which works out at about 20 GBP a month:

Online simplicity 20 SIM Only
Pay Monthly contract
1200 texts / 600 mins
Includes Unlimited Web Bolt On

Apparently the Web Bolt on has no caps etc. and is fine as long as you don't tether the device.

Anyone got any advice on this?

The Following User Says Thank You to deadmalc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 154 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by deadmalc View Post
Without mentioning the N900, ask O2 whether this unlimited-data plan applies to the iPhone. A lot of providers exclude iPhone usage from their standard unlimited-data offers. They tend to be the same providers who exclude tethered access. (You say that O2 makes that exclusion.) It is a reasonable bet that the same providers will exclude the N900, and will have a special (and more expensive) data plan for it, as they do for the iPhone.

Unless O2 are already advertising the N900, there's no point in asking about it. They will not have a policy in place yet, and the question will just confuse them.

Or you could wait, and ask your questions about the N900 when answers are likely to be available.

Last edited by scaler; 2009-09-06 at 22:32. Reason: removed hyphen

The Following User Says Thank You to scaler For This Useful Post:
A lot of providers exclude iPhone usage from their standard unlimited-data offers. They tend to be the same providers who exclude tethered access.
How do they know if it's an iPhone/N900/etc? Some SIM card reporting trickery?

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leeds UK
Originally Posted by scaler View Post
Without mentioning the N900, ask O2 whether this unlimited-data plan applies to the iPhone. A lot of providers exclude iPhone usage from their standard unlimited-data offers. They tend to be the same providers who exclude tethered access. (You say that O2 makes that exclusion.) It is a reasonable bet that the same providers will exclude the N900, and will have a special (and more expensive) data plan for it, as they do for the iPhone.

Unless O2 are already advertising the N900, there's no point in asking about it. They will not have a policy in place yet, and the question will just confuse them.

Or you could wait, and ask your questions about the N900 when answers are likely to be available.
I explained what I would be using it for, and the T&C's are basically fine:
http://shop.o2.co.uk/tariffSmallPrint#WebWifi

As long as I don't stream movies etc., then there shouldn't be a problem. And banning using voip on this kind of contract is fair enough I think.

The iphone is mentioned on this tarrif as well so this should be all OK, my comparison was that the phone was similar in usage to an iphone (but not a piece of ****) ;-) and O2 seemed fine with that.

The Following User Says Thank You to deadmalc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Do we have anyone experienced enough with the US situation to make a summary of the pros and cons of different plan options in the USA?

I assume the only carrier choice for 3G is T-Mobile. I'm still undecided between a pay as you go plan with an unlocked N900 and a contract with a subsidized N900. But I have to admit that I am fuzzy on the different plans that are or might be available. Maybe I just have to wait until T-Mobile makes an announcement...

Posts: 143 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Bradford, (England)
don't they have caps a la 'fair use policy' ?. the fact that iphone and n900 have full browsers, will eat alot of data, which is 'unfair'.

nowadays, most websites do a 'reduced graphics' or mobile websites, and they consume alot less date; cricinfo, bbc, etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to Yaser88 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 279 | Thanked: 208 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by deadmalc View Post
Whilst painfully waiting for my n900 to arrive, I've been looking around for a good sim only contract.

The best one for me (UK) seems to be with O2, which works out at about 20 GBP a month:

Online simplicity 20 SIM Only
Pay Monthly contract
1200 texts / 600 mins
Includes Unlimited Web Bolt On

Apparently the Web Bolt on has no caps etc. and is fine as long as you don't tether the device.

I use Tmobile WebnWalk Plus and get 3GB for use with everything except voip.

Solo 20 has 600mins, unlimited texts and 1GB. Then you can upgrade to WnW Plus (3GB) and get the freedom to stream stuff, p2p and tether.

Personally i dont use many minutes, so i use a low tarrif sim and will upgrade to WnW Max (10GB) when the N900 is out.

Last edited by dansus; 2009-09-07 at 02:27.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dansus For This Useful Post:
Just don't bring the device in with you and you shouldn't have a problem. I have heard of people that showed their carrier their unlocked phones and were forced to upgrade their plan.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Have a look at the data plans entry on Maemo wiki

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 109 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Caribbean
Originally Posted by MountainX View Post
Do we have anyone experienced enough with the US situation to make a summary of the pros and cons of different plan options in the USA?

I assume the only carrier choice for 3G is T-Mobile. I'm still undecided between a pay as you go plan with an unlocked N900 and a contract with a subsidized N900. But I have to admit that I am fuzzy on the different plans that are or might be available. Maybe I just have to wait until T-Mobile makes an announcement...
1) ATT and T-Mob are the only choices for the States.
2) Only ATT has a pre-paid plan for data....and it's not a real good deal.
3) Doesn't look like T-Mob is going to subsidize the N900.
4) Don't expect any tel-co to inform you correctly or steer you in the right direction!!