Hi,

I am planning to buy a n900 but I heard the battery life sucks. It's only 96 hours ? I think being always online, among other things, consume much energy.

You think it will be possible to tweak the OS so we can turn this off ? (meaning turning 3g off manually/automatically)

One thing I know about computers, and this is also like a computer, is that nothing is impossible.

What do the linux pro's in this forum think ?

Moderator | Posts: 199 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on May 2009 @ turku, finland
Originally Posted by cgelici View Post
You think it will be possible to tweak the OS so we can turn this off ? (meaning turning 3g off manually/automatically)
simple - just turn 3g connection off with one-two taps. you can also choose whether to automatically connect to wifi or 3g - or only do it manually.

Last edited by edgar2; 2009-11-13 at 13:03.

Originally Posted by cgelici View Post
Hi,

I am planning to buy a n900 but I heard the battery life sucks. It's only 96 hours ?
I thought it was more like 24 hours max?

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
96 hours??? Damn... that's long... I'd like such an always on device for sure. Considering me N95 tends to crap out at times after less than 24hours.

I'm also curious, is it practical to have it always online in the most minimal sense:

How long would the n900 off charger if you just left it idle, but connected to IM and one 5 minute IM chat per hour. No other activity

Hows the battery life for

connected via WIFI only, but GSM radio enabled for phone calls - uses the battery least, but is not practical if you're mostly on the move or have no access to wifi

connected via 3G - overkill just for IM

connected via EDGE - can this minimal case last 9am to midnight? since the marketing slogan is "always online"?

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
@edgar2 - <off topic> - The videocam and camera switch buttons in the status bar pull-down menu - I have not seen those on my device. Are they a part of the new firmware (I am running the Summit release still). TIA

The battery is the same as the Nokia 5800...
But the N900 has been built for optimised use of the battery.
There will be manufacturers making extended battery for it, for example Mugen.

See this blog for some tips on saving battery on the N900 - I need more power captain!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Venomrush For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Originally Posted by God View Post
Why does everyone moan about battery life :S?! You can just charge the phone over night :S it's not like you're using the phone 24/7! and if you do, then you have to stop it. You can use your laptop/PC to do the rest of the stuff in the mean time.

If you don't want to use electricity, what about a solar-charger? http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11288_7-6427792-3.html
Hehe the solar chargers are good if you don't live in the UK

Have to admit 24 hour battery life is fine, but 6/9 hours would bug the hell out of me... I needs to survive a minimum of 8am - 10pm being used reasonably heavily for me - just hoping that i can get it to do that (Switch of unwanted connections, etc etc)

Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
Originally Posted by EIPI View Post
@edgar2 - <off topic> - The videocam and camera switch buttons in the status bar pull-down menu - I have not seen those on my device. Are they a part of the new firmware (I am running the Summit release still). TIA
It s a feature of the Load Applet application.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Khertan For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the answer but I read reviews saying the device is ALWAYS online and you cannot turn it off. I think it was also the case with the htc diamond but im not sure.

I read that is either connectec with 3g all the time or, when available, wifi. But still connected 24/7. I think it was made like this for widgets.

But I guess this is not the case.

I worry about battery life because I want it to be a lifesaver like the SE p1i I head, even with 5% energy it would still be on for 10hours or so wih very minimal usage, but it was really great. I just don't want to worry when I forget my charger if I'm going abroad or something.

Please don't tell that I should buy another phone then because there is no phone like this and I already love it even though I don't have it yet.