Notices

Now that we have USB host mode using h-e-n,
would someone be willing to write a N900 compatible gPhoto package to run gPhoto?
http://www.gphoto.org/

I read an old bb message mentioning some where working on this for the N800
http://photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00T40U
could not find a package though.

also found this other link:
http://photodoto.com/tethered-shooting-with-linux/

This would be a great toold for DSLR users.
Perfect for tripod shooting and remote controlling, not to mention the fact that using the N900 as storage, it creates the perfect imagetank.

It would even enable Videorecording as feature for some DSLR camera's which do not even have Video as standard.
http://gadgets.softpedia.com/news/Ca...eo-927-01.html

if some can build such app, i would be happy to assist with the GUI interface.

Please?

I had tried this at some point using my n800. Gphoto2 was never stable enough (at that time at least) to use more than a few times and than it would reboot the tablet.

On the other hand I used succesfully the s10sh:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=18143

This would be a nice starting point for the n900 I think...

The Following User Says Thank You to icebox For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
+1 for s10sh
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

nice link indded, tx.

described there is in fact its the same reason is started looking for gPhoto indeed.
I attempted connecting my Canon camera to my N900 in host mode,
This only works partially becuase the USB on my Canon is used for multiple purposes.

If you run simply s10sh it will give you an interactive shell similar to a DOS prompt. Of course your camera has to be connected by usb and your tablet in HOST mode. Oh and my camera has two usb modes "normal" - which is the canon proprietary format and the one that works with all the above and PTP which is only for image download. On your camera the modes could be labeled differently.
when connected using h-e-n, "something" happens, and the cam shows "busy'" in the display. waiting for something.
I assume its waiting for a specific command to tell the cam to be in either "mass storage "mode or if its connected to a pc for tethered shooting using an other protocol.

I too would love to see gphoto2 on the n900 - I've got a lot of time and effort to help with any efforts to port gphoto over as it would be related to a commercial project I've already got on the go using x86 systems - I was planning to have a go at getting it working a couple of days ago, but then got busy with some work stuff.

I am actually in the process of packaging gphoto2 and libgphoto2 for the n900. I have packaged up libgphoto2 and will at some point in the near future package gphoto2 as well. libgphoto2 seems to compile and install fine on scratchbox.

I am yet to test the packages or gphoto2 on the n900 as my host mode adapters are yet to arrive. If they work I will upload them to extras-devel.

Kuddos!
If anyone needs help testing, just let me know.
For me gPhoto on N900 would be the app of the year!
really usefull.
==
offtopic

Oh I just love my N900 more and more everyday.
I dont think there's any device left in the house using USB or IP which i can't control with this "phone" Makes me feel in connection and control with all my devices. sweet

Ok it seems I have successfully made .deb files for gphoto2 and libgphoto2. libgphoto2 does not like going in /opt for some reason.

I have attached the gphoto2 deb file and i will find somewhere to host the libgphoto2 deb file later. NOTE: this is my first attempt at making debian packages, I have not tested them on the n900 only on scratchbox. libgphoto2 will take up about 2mb of root space. I am not responsible for anything to do with these packages.

If someone would like the libgphoto2 package before I find a place to upload it let me know.
Attached Files
File Type: deb gphoto2_2.4.10-1_armel.deb (227.8 KB, 174 views)

Have you managed to get a shot from your camera yet? I brought my old Olympus 5050 out to play, but am having trouble getting it recognised by the hostmode USB stuff myself.

I have tested hostmode and my camera (canon dslr) has been recognised.

I have not tried my gphoto2 or libgphoto2 packages on my n900 as of yet. But I will probably try them in the coming days.