Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Glad to see this thread in full discussion now and shows good spirit to the community.

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Glad to see this thread in full discussion now and shows good spirit to the community.
That's the point!!

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
Great to see it in enabled in .config, I mean it is missing here http://meego.gitorious.org/meego-dev...master/drivers. Maybe I am not looking at right place. Anyway if you say it is there, I believe you (link?).

Re 720p codecs handling:
here https://gstreamer.ti.com/gf/project/gstreamer_ti/ they are listed as future development/todo, I assume that it is possible for your team to contact TI for some early versions (if exists). And h264 720p encoder is listed as available right now. Not sure for what HW though.

And here http://focus.ti.com/dsp/docs/thirdpa...r&companyId=59 are Ittiam's codecs, which I strongly believe will be given for evaluation to meego team if requested. Another 720p codecs bundle belongs to Aricent http://www.aricent.com/Software/Mult...odecsACSL.aspx, could be an option too.
Linked already in my post. If the codecs are not already out there and publically available we can't have them in DE. Everyone should be able to work with and distribute them, or not at all. So no chance for prerelease as that would require everyone downloading DE to sign a NDA or a nasty EULA.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Yeah, that seems reasonable, but the initial question was not about the codecs, it was for platform software capability to handle 720p. And my point was that it would be wise if there is such support on ARM side, even if you are not allowed to distribute the DSP codecs. For example TI OpenMax IL (for Android)has support for aricent 720p mpeg4 decoder ,despite the fact it(the codec) is not freely distributable. By including gstreamer or openmax support for 720p codecs you are making possible for one to write an opensource clone of DSP code. Or highy optimised NEON one. Or whatever. Hope you understand my point.

And btw, lets sound more like engineers, not like lawyers , OK?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
Yeah, that seems reasonable, but the initial question was not about the codecs, it was for platform software capability to handle 720p. And my point was that it would be wise if there is such support on ARM side, even if you are not allowed to distribute the DSP codecs. For example TI OpenMax IL (for Android)has support for aricent 720p mpeg4 decoder ,despite the fact it(the codec) is not freely distributable. By including gstreamer or openmax support for 720p codecs you are making possible for one to write an opensource clone of DSP code. Or highy optimised NEON one. Or whatever. Hope you understand my point.

And btw, lets sound more like engineers, not like lawyers , OK?
Even engineers can be sued...

That said, we probably do have the support, but we're not going to invest effort in it as we can't distribute anything for it. Anyone is welcome to experiment with it to get it working and write guides about it.

gst-openmax would probably be trivial to get working.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Problem is you only got 256 ram available and untill someone can come up with a way to at least double the ram which incidently would push the N900 into far greater heights.

I am looking into this now as i now see MeeGo is well and truly being pushed by many contributors to the project for the N900.

Keep up the fantastic work !.

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Even engineers can be sued...

That said, we probably do have the support, but we're not going to invest effort in it as we can't distribute anything for it. Anyone is welcome to experiment with it to get it working and write guides about it.

gst-openmax would probably be trivial to get working.
So you are basically saying that we *can* get 720p if we do it on our own?

Well, It's a pitty it can't be included in the DE but... I can live with that heheheh

Regards

Originally Posted by damnshock View Post
So you are basically saying that we *can* get 720p if we do it on our own?

Well, It's a pitty it can't be included in the DE but... I can live with that heheheh

Regards
I wouldn't claim it's impossible, but do remember constraints on hardware..

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
I wouldn't claim it's impossible, but do remember constraints on hardware..
The hardware? i think... there is some phones with 256RAM to play 720p files...

Iphone 3GS ( tweaked )
OMNIA HD
DROID
SAMSUNG H1
And why not, N900 UNDER ANDROID!!

256MB is more than sufficient to play 720P standart movies.

Originally Posted by rocky333 View Post
The hardware? i think... there is some phones with 256RAM to play 720p files...

Iphone 3GS ( tweaked )
OMNIA HD
DROID
SAMSUNG H1
And why not, N900 UNDER ANDROID!!

256MB is more than sufficient to play 720P standart movies.
Yeah, but I was referring to that some later OMAP's has improved DSPs and SGX..

Tags
r u an idiot?