Originally Posted by fabolousv View Post
I tried to flash my n900 yesterday with
flasher-3.5 -F imagename -f -R
i thought it would reset my whole devices but my contacts were still there and my messages. also my usernames + passwords for several websites were still there .
Thanks for your simple instructions.... I managed to get back my old maemo 5. Much much more faster than before, looks like fresh installation....

Originally Posted by mikhmv View Post
remove all seetings and personal files:
SEE EDIT
but be carefull with it. It will remove even pre-installed maps

EDIT: probably will be better:
rm -R $home/user/*
At least one person tried (rm -R $home/*) and it didn't work.....
rm -R $home/user/*

The above command has ruined my n900..completely n900 dead now...when i am opening it again it just shows Nokia starting screen and turns off.....Dont know what to do now??? flashing also is not working..showing no device found..

Help Pls.

Originally Posted by pagesix1536 View Post
Well, it is possible there's some issue going on, I do see a lot of forum postings from folks that just have weird booting issues...but there's usually a reason for it (memory card inserted that it doesn't know how to read, or someone messed with an init script, or maybe someone did an "rm -rf" on the /etc directory). Granted some are maybe related to issues with the device/OS load from factory, but if it's self inflicted....damn, just stay out of the console prompt and save yourself some hurt.
In my case it was a mixed bag of Nokia OTA mess-up and a stalled try to repair the damage by using the Nokia Ovi suite out of a VM from Mac OS X.

Made me learn stuff quickly - and why save the hurting if I can learn by doing. Mind, I came from NeXT to the Apple, so I am only 89% dumb.

Edit: Forgot to thank this excellent community for all the help and explanations I was able to get, find, search and read.

Last edited by cct; 2011-05-24 at 13:19.

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ United Kingdom
Everyone who has trouble reflashing their n900 in Windows:

Get a linux live CD, for example here: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

Look on the internet for tutorials if you do not know how to boot ubuntu from a live CD on your PC

Then follow this wiki for linux exactly: http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_t...firmware#Linux

If you have messed up the 32gb flash you need to follow the steps: "flashing the emmc". You need to do this first before flashing the main firmware. WARNING: this will erase all data on the 32gb flash.

Again make sure you follow the steps carefully (I know its long and technical so how badly do you want your N900 back?) because if you don't read everything and follow it exactly then it is very likely NOT to work.

If you still can't get it to work then it is best to send your device to Nokia to get fixed.

Last edited by Chrisboff; 2011-05-24 at 14:52.

Originally Posted by bkkick View Post
Thanks for your help loser maemo community!! I really didnt expect you to ignore someone whos into a big problem and need your help!! again thanks losers! I managed it myself after going through the whole f@cking internet search!
to repeat the obvious: YOU DO NEED HELP! as you said above. I suggest you start with discussion board etiquette. The fact that you figured it out by searching the internet some more, compliments your intelligence, so I won't recommend that you buy an iPhone.

So perhaps just this as a little food for thought:
* this isn't commercial tech support, its a public discussion board
* it being a discussion board, adding to an old thread (like I do now) doesn't help with getting help
* providing vague "something happened, how do I fix it?" questions doesn't help with getting help
* using profane language doesn't help with getting help
* if in doubt about how to behave, see first bullet point

Tags
n900, reset