Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by biketool View Post
I posted the steps to get the Qi universal receiver to work with the N900 and charge properly: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...01#post1431701
No mods to phone required beyond a bit of electrical tape, some soldering required as the Qi charge receiver linked at the top of the thread does not have shorted data pins required by the N900 battery charging circuit.
is it charging with kernel power modules instead of bme? i found that this is the case for all weak chargers i used with N900 - including portable ones. this way there will be no need to mess with the pins.

Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Originally Posted by impeham View Post
is it charging with kernel power modules instead of bme?
I have KP installed for the last few years, I think you need to have Pali's new BME alternative and some edited files to bypass the shorted data pins, though I understand that is not without issues.

I get charging at about the same rate with a 2000mA(2amp) mains to USB charger and Qi pad as I do with my Nokia 1200mA(1.2amp) mains phone charger. Have not wired the phone adapter with an ammeter.

i use the following to change charger modules:

stop bme
modprobe bq2415x_charger

Just got my Qi Universal Charger receiver from ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Qi-Univers...E:L:OU:US:3160

------
connected it to my N900 - it does not charge with bme, but after executing these it charges wirelessly just fine and the yellow charging light is on (through the micro usb connection and without doing any soldering/electronic mess):

stop bme
modprobe bq2415x_charger

A few issues i've noticed:
1. the charging works great - even through the back cover - no need to place the coil outside (the coil itself is very thin), but the part that is connected to the coil cannot be inside the cover since its a little too thick for it to close properly.

2. i am thinking about attaching the small little thick part which is connected to the coil right under the camera, make 1 or 2 little holes for the coil's wires which will reside inside the cover, and another small hole for the microusb wire to go under the cover and into the micro usb socket of the n900.

3. while charging, the N900's screen sometimes gets awakened and after its time limit goes off again - strange behavior i sure want to solve.
Attached Images

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by impeham View Post
connected it to my N900 - it does not charge with bme, but after executing these it charges wirelessly just fine and the yellow charging light is on (through the micro usb connection and without doing any soldering/electronic mess):
Does it not just need the data pins shorting?

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

Impeham, I tried just the coil without the black backing, when stuck under the cover against the battery. The blue in-contact pad light did not come on and the phone didn't begin charging, the contact light comes on even if the receiver is not connected. Not 100% sure what the black layer does but it does keep the coil from receiving when it blocks the charge pad and possibly prevents some sort of interference from behind. Back during my Palm Touchstone charger days there was no black barrier layer just a coil.

Originally Posted by biketool View Post
Impeham, I tried just the coil without the black backing, when stuck under the cover against the battery. The blue in-contact pad light did not come on and the phone didn't begin charging, the contact light comes on even if the receiver is not connected. Not 100% sure what the black layer does but it does keep the coil from receiving when it blocks the charge pad and possibly prevents some sort of interference from behind. Back during my Palm Touchstone charger days there was no black barrier layer just a coil.
Mine was charging very well - both the blue light of the charger and the yellow of the N900 were working and i charged to from 70% to full this way. can't explain the screen turning on and off once in few mins though.

Last edited by impeham; 2014-07-17 at 09:13.

Are you running just KP52 or also Pali's new BME?

just kp52 - don't remember installing anything specifically related to BME. how can i verify this?

Is it possible to hook one of these up in such a way as to allow i to charge the battery while leaving the USB port free for host mode?

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...