Posts: 133 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Dubai, UAE
Hey guys,

I'm not here for any rant or anything, so this is what happens yesterday,

My iPod touch breaks, so I say, Hey I got the N900, lets use that for music now !

I am multitasking, Browsing few pages, some IM's coming and going, and music playing on shuffle and what do I hear every time I try to browse or send an IM or read an IM - Music stuttering !

now we've all heard that the phone multitasks beautifully, why does it fail to play music properly while using other features of the phone!

does it need anything tweaked?

any help appreciated !

Cheers
Jackie

PS: I run stock clock speeds !

Last edited by jackie_jagger; 2010-06-22 at 08:55.

Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
Multitasking is all about running several processes at the same time. The N900, via the Linux kernel, does this "beautifully".

But, this doesn't mean that there are unlimited resources for the running processes. And since it's very easy to hear when music stutters, this becomes very obvious when playing music and doing something else at the same time.

It's not as easy to spot that the scrolling done in the browser "stutters" too while the phone is busy with many tasks.

So, this sounds like you need to adjust your expectations a bit. Either you make more resources available (overclocking is one way) or you adjust to how you can use the resources that are left while multitasking.

Being a bit more technical, sound is troublesome on the N900 because of, in my opinion, two things: using PulseAudio and not using the proper scheduling algorithm in the kernel. PulseAudio uses lots of time in the CPU to do all the things it can do (which brings some nice features) and this punishes all other processes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Joorin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by jackie_jagger View Post
Hey guys,

I'm not here for any rant or anything, so this is what happens yesterday,

My iPod touch breaks, so I say, Hey I got the N900, lets use that for music now !

I am multitasking, Browsing few pages, some IM's coming and going, and music playing on shuffle and what do I hear every time I try to browse or send an IM or read an IM - Music stuttering !

now we've all heard that the phone multitasks beautifully, why does it fail to play music properly while using other features of the phone!

does it need anything tweaked?

any help appreciated !

Cheers
Jackie

PS: I run stock clock speeds !
Didn't happened to mine though, what firmware is it on your N900? This problem is only happened when your watching flash contents on your browser. But otherwise it's fine mine is sweet, you may be installed too many unstable softwares from extra.

Anyway more like you don't know how to use your device.

I understand that the N900 has limited resources, but something like playing music smoothly is one simple expectation, I remember my 5800 doing this very easily ! I'm not sure about the whole overclocking thing due to battery issues !

Nokia must do something to fix this, either switch from Pulse Audio to something else, or try to optify the whole media player !

The Following User Says Thank You to jackie_jagger For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
Didn't happened to mine though, what firmware is it on your N900? This problem is only happened when your watching flash contents on your browser. But otherwise it's fine mine is sweet, you may be installed too many unstable softwares from extra.

Anyway more like you don't know how to use your device.
Browser had facebook open, 2 windows of IM, stuttering occered only when switching task ! I do have couple of apps from Extras, and I very well know how to use the device !

The Following User Says Thank You to jackie_jagger For This Useful Post:
Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
I understand that the N900 has limited resources, but something like playing music smoothly is one simple expectation, I remember my 5800 doing this very easily !
If you only play music, I'm sure it will play as smooth as silk. I do this with my Spotify client and it works well even with the added work of having to decrypt and unpack the music.

But, it will stutter once if the screen is dimmed or woken up. This is due to the change in CPU frequency.

I'm not sure about the whole overclocking thing due to battery issues !
There is a very informative (and long) thread about overclocking. There is also at least two about battery time in connection with overclocking. Have a look around and see what people are reporting.

Nokia must do something to fix this, either switch from Pulse Audio to something else, or try to optify the whole media player !
To optify something is to make sure that it stores it resources under /opt and not in the root file system. This will not change how much CPU an application uses.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Browser had facebook open, 2 windows of IM, stuttering occered only when switching task ! I do have couple of apps from Extras, and I very well know how to use the device !
are you sure you didn't installed any media player addon?
for example subtitle or extra codec. Those are known to cause problems, also the sms music title style app also causing problem with the media stuttering. Mine is stock and i'm not having this problem since after i uninstalled those Beside this is Maemo 5, it is not Symbian S60 OS. Symbian has different OS and use limited multitasking but N900 has full multitasking and runs like a PC. Even a PC struggle to play music sometimes. I must say the browser in PR1.2 is slightly buggy riht now and it consume a lot of resource. Hope it get fixed soon.

@Joorin,
Mine didn't stuttered at all, when the screen dimmed and unlocking or locking, never stutterred on me. I'm opened many apps and watching flash video still not stuttering

i'm currently opened youtube, facebook, maemo.org, sms windows, music playing, phone app, and sygic and more. Total of more than 9 apps opened without stuting
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 193 | Thanked: 92 times | Joined on May 2010 @ galveston, tx
Editing /etc/init.d/rcS Line 265 to

echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/page-cluster

helped quite a bit to smooth out multitasking

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to noipv4 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by noipv4 View Post
Editing /etc/init.d/rcS Line 265 to

echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/page-cluster

helped quite a bit to smooth out multitasking
What does that do??