Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
So it's been mentioned that apps will have to be re-compiled for OS2008 (Chinook), largely because of changes in the underlying GTK framework. Seems resonable, I can live with that.

However, there are many important apps I'm using that don't make use of GTK at all. For example: OpenVPN, Subversion, rsync, gnu tar, traceroute, SSH, etc.

So my question is will "every" app need to be recompiled for use with OS2008 for some reason? Or is it just GUI based apps that will *absolutely* require it.

For me this would make a big difference in how quickly I could update my N800 (or get an N810 )

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
So it's been mentioned that apps will have to be re-compiled for OS2008 (Chinook), largely because of changes in the underlying GTK framework. Seems resonable, I can live with that.

However, there are many important apps I'm using that don't make use of GTK at all. For example: OpenVPN, Subversion, rsync, gnu tar, traceroute, SSH, etc.

So my question is will "every" app need to be recompiled for use with OS2008 for some reason? Or is it just GUI based apps that will *absolutely* require it.

For me this would make a big difference in how quickly I could update my N800 (or get an N810 )

Thanks!
This has also been in my mind because I'm using Claws for email and I wish it will ported to OS 2008. How many developer are going to port apps to OS 2008 anyway?

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Is there a list of already recompiled apps, and a wishlist of apps that should be recompiled? I would not upgrade without Xournal!

Originally Posted by markku View Post
This has also been in my mind because I'm using Claws for email and I wish it will ported to OS 2008. How many developer are going to port apps to OS 2008 anyway?
We, the Claws team, hope to do that. (Even though we won't have the hardware)

I'm happy to test things ... within reason of course. But the number of apps that work outside what's on the unit are currently limited.

I did install a version of Rsync tonight and it's there ready to go within the terminal which I'm sure you've seen is pre-installed this time.

Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
Originally Posted by atmasphere View Post
I'm happy to test things ... within reason of course. But the number of apps that work outside what's on the unit are currently limited.

I did install a version of Rsync tonight and it's there ready to go within the terminal which I'm sure you've seen is pre-installed this time.
Nice! Tomorrow, when the bourbon has worn off and I'm not on my tablet , maybe I can post a few for you to try. It would be nice to get a list of working non-gui apps that are scattered around out there.