Active Topics

Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
Originally Posted by WereCatf View Post
Reading a map is usually called navigating. Well, there is a map, it can be freely looked at, zoomed in and out and whatnot. Sounds like navigation. You are assuming navigation means much more than that, but it really doesn't. I'd love to see you to court: "It's not navigation because it doesn't read instructions to me!"
Equally I could argue that stellarium is navigation as you can quite effectively navigate by referencing the stars.

You are assuming navigation means much more than that, but it really doesn't. I'd love to see you to court: "It's not navigation because it doesn't read instructions to me!"
Not when NOKIA use the terminology 'Navigation' to describe a sat nav type experience,
My standing point is the rather ambigous use of the term navigation.

Last edited by James_Littler; 2010-11-08 at 10:35.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Reading a map is usually called navigating. Well, there is a map, it can be freely looked at, zoomed in and out and whatnot. Sounds like navigation. You are assuming navigation means much more than that, but it really doesn't.

Was that what Nokia meant when they wrote this bit?
If so, don't you think it's really idiotic?

(them or their target audience, take your pick).

Let's get some context here.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
So right now we have discussion on non standard term and what it means to different people on different continents. Really really really interesting. What shall we do with the "right" end result? We certainly have case for Special Olympics here.

-Situation sucks. Contact Nokia for Complains and feedback. Have a nice day.

Last edited by slender; 2010-11-08 at 10:46.

Reading a map is usually called navigating. Well, there is a map, it can be freely looked at, zoomed in and out and whatnot. Sounds like navigation. You are assuming navigation means much more than that, but it really doesn't. I'd love to see you to court: "It's not navigation because it doesn't read instructions to me!"
Yeah but that's _me_ doing the navigating... not the device. Whoever/whatever is keeping track of where we are and where we should go next is the navigator... be it the driver, a passenger or an N900.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ndi View Post
It still sucks because when I hear FREE navigation and I buy and I realize that I have the maps but have to pay to search I feel kinnda cheated.
even when it has been announced beforehand that N900 has been designed for being online 24/7?
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 79 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Pandora
this could be put in this way... Nokia N8.. C6-00 boxes and ad says free navigation.. My N900 ad says free navigation..

there is a price difference btween these two handsets and its huge..
Now.. Nokia is misleading its customers by having same kinda ad.. thats counts as improper advertising

My god, some people are drawing some creative conclusions.

First, I would like to point out that what you people are doing is mistaking the concept of "free" with the concepts of "good" and "competitive". There is free navigation on the N900, that's not up for debate. Either you agree or you don't understand the word "navigation" at all. It's not only free, it's going to stay free. Forever. Unlike some other existing navigation software that only works for a year and then you need to extend the licence. Hence the "forever".

What you expect is turn by turn, voice assisted navigation. What you expect is what some of the competition have. What you expect is good navigation software. The N900 doesn't have that. Nokia doesn't own good navigation software for Linux. They have good navigation on Symbian - which is not the same navigation software that the N900 has. It doesn't even have the same name. Comparing version numbers is like comparing Opera Mini 4 with Opera 10. You can argue in court that you expect Opera Mini 4 to have all the features of Opera 10 - but then you will have to pay the judge for wasting his time on nonsense.

Navigation software: yes, Ovi Maps for N900.
Free navigation: absolutely.
Good navigation: no.
Voice navigation: no.
Turn by turn navigation: no. Correction: yes. There is.
Routing navigation: yes.

And whoever read an N8 ad and means it should say anything about the quality of the software on last years models:

No, actually, I won't comment on that. It would be rude. I'll just leave it at the fact that PC ads bragged about having a Microsoft OS ever since 1981 or something like that. Those PCs were more expensive than the Windows 7 pc's you buy now. So, does that mean those ads were misleading too?

Last edited by volt; 2010-11-10 at 00:09.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Solid hardware with a massive achilles heel, (usb), misleading advertising, horrid updates (1.3 messed things up for me, I have done 2 complete reflashes, battery is worse not better and no new apps), and a great but at this point (might change) dwindling community who could fix many more things but are denied the keys to the kingdom.

The above run on sentence sums up the n900 to me.

There's no misleading advertising. There's "only" substandard software implementation and a lot of disappointed owners. Maemo didn't reach it's potential, but it pretty much did deliver according to the vague promises. Since the promises all tend to be about actually delivered functionality and not about quality or user experience.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by volt View Post
There's no misleading advertising. There's "only" substandard software implementation and a lot of disappointed owners. Maemo didn't reach it's potential, but it pretty much did deliver according to the vague promises. Since the promises all tend to be about actually delivered functionality and not about quality or user experience.
Hell, even calling it a "Phone" was a stretch... LoL

SLN member # 009

Tags
bad ad, crybaby, free: yes, marketing, n900rulz, navigation: yes, nokian cults, not an iphone, read dictionary