Active Topics

Posts: 939 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ U.K.
i was just wondering how long everyone left their n900 before re-flashing? I've had mine just over a year now and have only updated the O.S. and never reflashed the eMMC image. Also i've ventured into extras-devel which not knowing much about the workings and only being a user i may of messed up my device, even though it seems to be working well.

With my laptop/pc i try @ least once a year to do a complete install of the O.S. specially when i've been "messin around" with it.
As i said it seems to be working fine but as with anything you use on a daily basis you get to thinking this doesn't seem as quick as yesterday/ CPU seems to running higher than before/ hanging and lagging.
Are there certain tests you can do to show you all is not well and it's a start from scratch time.

Cheers

Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
I wouldn't reflash unless I absolutely had to. It's a pain in the arse!
When you do reflash, do the emmc too though, then you can repartition it easily.

The Following User Says Thank You to James_Littler For This Useful Post:
i'm trying to avoid reflashing as i've read that other people have undesirable problems when they have reflashed and tbh it seriously put me off doing it lol. Also i wouldn't like to brick it since my back operation i cannot sit/use my laptop/pc for the time being, and now use my N900 for everything i possibly can. It's a brilliant piece of kit

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ India
I do reflash after every firmware update.

Web Advices
Tablet Phone X
Blogging Tips
Know IP Address

The Following User Says Thank You to plaban For This Useful Post:
I reflash (the rootfs) at every P.R
I reflashed the EMMC once for repartitionning, and I have restored all after that.

The Following User Says Thank You to Megaltariak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 28 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Tampere, Finland
I don't see any reason to reflash. It's the same kind of syndrom as not installing any application because they might make the system slower. In the Windows world many uneducated users suffer from it, having heard the rationale of "continuous reformatting" from similarly uneducated young nerds.

The Following User Says Thank You to mvuori For This Useful Post:
i must admit reflashing would be a pain in the arse having to re-install everything just as i have got it to the way i want it, and who's to say i wouldn't replicate the problems again with doing so.

being just a User would i be right in thinking when you remove a app it doesn't leave any reminents of the deleted app behind??

Last edited by corduroysack; 2011-01-21 at 15:54.

id check out norton ghost or acronis for your pcs. get the stable basic build in and then image it. if you do regular maintenance you shouldnt need to reimage more than once every few years. i have stable builds that outlast the useful life of the OS in most cases

The Following User Says Thank You to jerryfreak For This Useful Post:
tbf my pc's are running spot on, it's the n900 i'm having doubts about. I'm only basing this on the cpu usage going from 15 percent to 100 percent whilst idle. i've just noticed this today as before it would hover around 2/3 percent when idle.

i really like OptimizeN900 script, i ahve it on my desktop as a beecon, check it out. it kills all unnecessary processes and usually instantly speeds it way up

The Following User Says Thank You to jerryfreak For This Useful Post: