Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Sorry for being so late to the party on this.

Hey, I know I could probably find the answer after searchiing the forums for 17 heptendecillion hours, but real quick, it's asking for
password:

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Addison: where is it asking for the password? It shouldn't be asking for the password anywhere in my instructions, if you have Easy Debian installed...

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Code:
[1|user@Nokia-N800-43-7|~]sudo qmount /dev/mmcblk1p2 /floppy
Password:
[1|user@Nokia-N800-43-7|~]
I have yet to install easy chroot (sp?) yet.

Still trying to bang out a way for your image to decompress on the card.

I just now checked my memory card using GParted again and this is what I'm seeing on my end.

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/6817/shotb.jpg

Is this because I'm coming up just a titch short on the ext2 partition?

I waited for you to say that everything looked good first before I clicked on the apply tab to create it........ (I'm projecting blame *lol*)

Last edited by Addison; 2010-04-21 at 08:19.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Install easy-chroot and that will pull in the required apps for decompressing the rootfs, like gtar and bzip2.

The "unallocated" space suggests that you left "round to cylinders" checked. It's probably safe to leave the card partitioned as-is, or you could resize one of the partitions to get rid of that space.

You don't have enough space on your card anymore for the image file. Don't even try it. You have to dump the rootfs into your new partition now.

Install easy-deb-chroot, then follow my instructions for putting Debian on the ext2 partition.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Sorry to bug, but I need help expanding the img file into a partition. I repartitioned my card so that I now have a 2GB ext2 partition and have labeled it "debian". However, the new partition is not showing up in my file manager.

So, I specifically need help with the following:
* How do I get my new partition to show up in file manager?
* What is the command to mount the .img.ext2 file?
* After I mount to a particular location, it's just a matter of copying over the file contents, right? Then, from there, change the path in .chroot?

BTW, I asked Addison, but it stumped him too. I also tried to mount the partition block to /media/debian, but the debian label didn't show up. In fact the partition 2 label showed up twice.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by hordeman; 2010-04-22 at 00:55.

The Following User Says Thank You to hordeman For This Useful Post:
Yep, with the help of Hordeman I finally got it working!

Witness?!!!

But still, I'm not getting it. *lol*

So in the end, I have a fully FAT32 card that I put the debian-n8x0-v3c.img.ext2 file on which was 1.79 GB.

So yeah, it works and all, but I thought it was supposed to go on the EXT2 partition which, as of now, I have none.

My biggest problem is that I don't know how to drop a file in there (EXT2) using Windows XP.

When I had my card partitioned in halfsies, FAT32 and EXT2, whatever I dropped on the card would go directly to FAT32. In fact, EXT2 doesn't show up anywhere. The only thing the computer shows in that there's a reduced overall size on my Sandisk Card.

Anyway, I'm happy and all, but really would like to do what Hordeman is trying to do and see if it boosts the speed up just a titch.

I've done the whole dropping ext2 on memory card help how to wtf partition dear god no! Google search and most of the links just point to file recovery programs.

The Following User Says Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
Guys, could you try the instructions in my post 140 above?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
So you want us to go back to the vb3 image and not use the newer vc3 image?

Also, you want the entire card reformatted to fat32 first?

Lastly, you want that old vb3 image zipped and uncompressed on the card?

It would be so much easier if you just made a video of this featuring cartoon drawings and shadow finger puppet props on how to install your wonderful junk correctly.

Addison, the v3b rootfs (NOT the image file) is close enough for your purposes. You need to mount your new partition and then use gtar to dump the entire Debian system into the partiton. The image file should be left out of the discussion entirely; it only complicates things.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Guys, could you try the instructions in my post 140 above?
Ok. So, noooooow I understand. I really wasn't getting that I couldn't extract the img contents, but instead I had to use the rootfs file. That's why I originally didn't follow post 140; I thought it was to uncompress the file into an image.

So, I did follow it afterwards with rootfs file you described, and while it did take about 45mins to extract, the solution worked in the end. Bootup for OO went from 3.5 mins to 2!

Thanks!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hordeman For This Useful Post:

Tags
debian, easy debian, extras-devel, free