Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
That's exactly my point. Isn't bringing 10.1 to Maemo5 a trivial task as well, which Nokia seems to be avoiding due to some yet unknown reason?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 303 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
Well, flash10 is only beta at the moment.. but it is non-trivial..

Adobe provide a kit to Nokia to create their own plugin..

Nokia are, I'm sure, already very familiar with this kit as it will be used with MeeGo and it, or a very early version of it, would've been used to make the first example of flash10 seen last year..

However, the right to use this kit won't be free.. There will be a license cost.. maybe per device..

Now Nokia have paid for flash 9 support already.. Who's going to pay for flash 10 support? You? Me? Nokia already have all the money they're going to get from us.. Plus they need developers to use the kit to produce a new version.. then they need to test it..

it's a huge project for three people working in a broom cupboard.. or who ever / what ever is left of the Maemo team!

You'd think it should be trivial, but as with many things Nokia, it almost certainly is much more complex that you think

Great!! My gf's Nexus one with its flash 10.1 beta isn't vulnerable.. that's good to know..

*sigh*

I hate flash..

This is why if a browser has flash, it should have flashblock as well.

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Interesting read (also in Maemo news) on future of flash:
http://achipa.blogspot.com/2010/06/m...thtml5ing.html

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
What sites are you guys going to where you'd worry about this kind of stuff?

Microb > Tools > Components > Flash > Disable.

Expect that to be Nokia's official answer, assuming they saying anything.

The Following User Says Thank You to linuxeventually For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
What sites are you guys going to where you'd worry about this kind of stuff?
Like major advertising distribution vendors haven't served malicious content before?
It could be anywhere.. perhaps a site was compromised and
malicious code uploaded.. or the advertising provider happens to be occasionally serving a dodgy flash advert

It's kind of irrelevant where people look.. and I'd hate that to be the official remediation.. don't go to dodgy sites!

*shudder*

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Is this one reason flash is bad?
To relegate such an important component to a single controlling entity?
the problem is fixed in 10.1 supposedly

windows and mac os updates come from a single source, as do maemo and iphone os, official firefox, ie, chrome versions, etc.

most computer users don't care about security problems unless they've already been attacked or if the patches don't come out fast enough. software patches are nothing new and someone will always be determined to find new security holes no matter what software it is... but obviously the target is a lot larger on popular software like flash

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by cpitchford View Post
Like major advertising distribution vendors haven't served malicious content before?
I was actually joking.