Active Topics

Notices

Hi everyone.

Excuse me if I have missed something here, but has Nokia shut down maps.ovi.com?? Or have they blocked it for Nokia N900?

The maps are NOT WORKING. The standard map application is not downloading any new content. It works for cached content ofcourse, but the map is now acting as if there is no connection to whoever delivers maps for the map application. I thought it might just be my phone so I reflashed on of my Nokia n900s, but no change. Map is still not connecting to download content.

I know Nokia has "moved" to "here.com" for maps.

I tried to search this forum, but I could not find any info. I see some people have developed alternative apps for maps and gps.

Is the map application now dead then?

It would be good with some clarification.

Its annoying enough that Nokia took down the tablet-dev page!!!!

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
You will find more and more things will start turning off as Nokia spins down and MS takes over. The items HiFo were able to save from the power switch were few, mainly this forum and to a lesser extent repos.

Nokia officially stopped selling and supporting the N900 & N9 over 2 years ago. That services are now spinning down is not a real surprise. You can expect just about anything close-sourced and relying on a server at Nokia will stop working over the next few months, assuming it still works now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
I used it several times while traveling, usually to areas I wasn't expecting to go. With a planned itinerary, I would use Modrana and pull tiles while I had data ahead of time. Unplanned, the Nokia Maps app sucked to operate but it did work. You could store vector maps for most of the planet directly on the device. (I have that still, installed, imaged, backed up, etc...)

Sad there will be no more updates. But the archives will work for a while yet, especially in areas with low construction ratios. Next project in TMO? GarmiN900!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
I thought there was a way to load them via the Nokia Suite (at least the older version supported it, not sure about the newer ones).

maps.ovi.com redirects to here.com.

I actually have been looking for a non-crappy map application for android that uses the HERE or Ovi maps, because I think they're better quality than the Google ones (that and the newer voices are atrocious compared to the N9's for voice navigation).

I finally downloaded/bought Navigon for my Android, but it's maps and the UI are horrible.

While on a business trip, it sent me to a restaurant that was across town, instead of the one that was three blocks away.

slaapliedje
I have figured out the reason 'smartphones' were invented. They are for reading the internet while pooping. This means the best smartphone ever created is the N9. It is the only one that works so well single-handed.

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
N900 latest india maps archives , anyone ? Oh god my pois .... Damm micros***

Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
N900 latest india maps archives , anyone ? Oh god my pois .... Damm micros***
I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but give it a try. Hope it helps.

Originally Posted by Bharateeyudu View Post
I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but give it a try. Hope it helps.
i mean where can i find the latest released maps for india ? Btw is routing searching working ??

Originally Posted by otsaloma View Post
You must be the only one who ever used Nokia's maps on N900. The UI was just awful.
i thought it was quite decent. What are you using on Nokia N900 for maps then?

Perhaps people can list alternatives and their "review" here in this thread.

I downloaded Mappero, but I do not like it. Rolling the dice I will give it 3 out of 6 score. Maps are good, but interface is bad and there is some kind of connection issue when I search places.

any other ideas?

Originally Posted by zeebra View Post
i thought it was quite decent. What are you using on Nokia N900 for maps then?
Perhaps people can list alternatives and their "review" here in this thread.
I downloaded Mappero, but I do not like it. Rolling the dice I will give it 3 out of 6 score. Maps are good, but interface is bad and there is some kind of connection issue when I search places.
any other ideas?
use mordana !! There are many like navit marble etc go crawl on the repos

Yeah, modrana is good but currently it occasionally causes reboots on my device. The advantage is that it's still developed/supported.

I'll miss Nokia Maps because, while it wasn't the best featured, it was stable and search was good. With a little intelligence I could find and get to point B.

Another program I'll miss is cloudgps, which doesn't seem to be developed/supported anymore.