Posts: 50 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Near Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by rs-px View Post
The price is back down to £149.99 now. Buying a Nokia tablet in the UK is much more like a roller-coaster ride than it should be
Thanks for the heads up! You're right... this situation isn't very good for ye' ole' ticker... *phew*. I almost got so fed up with the huge price rise that I went out and bought one for the list-price at the closest PCW... ~£110 saved by patience (so far!).

Posts: 255 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by TheJoker View Post
Thanks for the heads up! You're right... this situation isn't very good for ye' ole' ticker... *phew*. I almost got so fed up with the huge price rise that I went out and bought one for the list-price at the closest PCW... ~£110 saved by patience (so far!).
Of course, nobody has received a Play.com N800 yet, so there's still lots of peaks and troughs left on the ride yet. Personally I doubt we'll get them on the 19th Nov. I think the release of the price-drop units depends on the release of the N810, and nobody seems to know when that's due in the UK.

Incidentally, if you're going to buy any kind of electrical, buy it online, rather than form a bricks and mortar shop. Then you're covered by the Distance Selling Regulations, giving you the legal right to send it back for whatever reason you want within seven days. The seven days is supposed to give you time to evaluate the unit but if you spot a better bargain elsewhere... Of course, you might have to pay for the return.

Also, loads of companies have deal-matching services too. As mentioned, Amazon.co.uk will refund the difference if the price drops within 30 days of purchase although I doubt this covers instances where Amazon acts as an agent for another company (as with the current N800 deals).

I know there's going to be a lot of ups-n-downs before anyone receives (if anyone..??) a Play.com-N800.... (hence my 'so far!'-comment ).

The only reason why I would have gone to PCW would have been because I almost ran out of patience and wanted one NOW. I don't consider PCW an alternative to shop, unless you want something NOW (as they usually have stock of most stuff).
I hope my Soundbridge arrives today so my gadget craving gets soothed a bit until after the 19th... *fingers-crossed*.

You know, I think the Play.com N800s might be a new stock unit (SKU). And the funny release date (why not just sent them now?) makes me think these particular N800s might come with OS2008 preinstalled. The 770 I received a month or two ago was flashed with the latest version of OS2006, so Nokia is ensuring that all devices sent out are up to date.

Play.com delivery date has slipped for a second time. It's now listed as 27/11/2007.

As mentioned, my theory is that it won't come out until the N810 does. So we might see it slip again into December.

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bath, UK
I'm tempted on the eee pc now, at least you can get that now at a reasonable price!

Does anyone know, if you pre-order from play.com, do they take the money immediately or when the goods are dispatched?

Originally Posted by barton71 View Post
Does anyone know, if you pre-order from play.com, do they take the money immediately or when the goods are dispatched?
Only when they're about to dispatch.

The Following User Says Thank You to rs-px For This Useful Post:
Well, the delivery date hasn't changed on the Play.com page So those of us who ordered with Play.com should be receiving our N800s tomorrow or the day after. I placed my order five weeks ago, but I know that others placed orders even earlier. But let's not complain! Let's celebrate!

I intend to have a brief play around with OS2007, before blasting OS2008 on there and basking in the glory of Mozilla. Then I'm going to install Abiword to see if I can make it crash. If I can't, then I'm going to whoop with joy and head over to the nearest coffee shop with my N800 and Bluetooth keyboard for some serious posing.

I didn't cancel my order despite buying one 2nd hand (pre-loved.?!)... the reason..?! My friend wants the play.com one! Fingers crossed!