Posts: 109 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Caribbean
Originally Posted by dan67sf View Post
...... OH the humanity of it all what a sad day this is will be........
Isn't this the famous quote from the radio commentator announcing live as the Hindenburg caught fire in New Jersey?
That always stuck in my head ...."Oh the humanity of it all...."
Sorry for the OT.

You really needn't kid yourself into thinking that both companies that you mention are not in it for the money. This all sounds like the old BetaMax vs. VHS battle. What you see as superior technology/worldview/whatever from Nokia may be the truth...I don't know...but you certainly can't deny the fact that Apple is doing a helluva better job bringing incrementally advanced technology to the masses...things that people never knew they needed or wanted. I agree with a previous poster that you are probably better off and will experience better karma by directing your "hate" towards more constructive endeavors. Otherwise, you risk isolating yourself from the world that is big enough for both Nokia and Apple.

Anyone linking to anything at Greenpeace's site instantly invalidates their argument.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
"Apple is doing a helluva better job bringing incrementally advanced technology to the masses..."

Advanced technology??

Tell me more.....

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I personally think the ultimate measure of success for a new idea\invention\technology\product (aka 'thing'), is how many people would want and use it in their life.

Whether a company is involved in the creation, distribution and capitalization of that 'thing', I attribute that to the company's smarts. AFAICT in the current market, especially with the information transparency the internet provides, you can't get by on marketing buzz alone to truly succeed. The market will shoot down stinkers anyway (IE: Foleo, AppleTV, DivX the disc format).

Now.. I think I know the point of view of pro-Linux\opensource people, because I'm one of them. Although I don't 'hate' the 'competitors', because I also need and benefits from their offerings (Macs for my personal life, IBM iSeries and Windows servers at work working w/ Linux boxens, etc)...

Linux users are like Burger Chefs at local gourmet diners. They fix their burgers with love and care, knowing they select the best ingredients and prepare it as best as they can.

Apple is like McDonald. Omnipotent, everywhere, they simplify (dumb-down?) their menu, and they probably have crap inside their food too (which passes FDA). But people still buy McD all the time because it's just good enough for most people's needs and most people have no interest nor intention to go into the kitchen to fix a burger. They have better things to do than that.

The chefs think their burgers are better than McD's, but McD is having all this commercial success. What can they do? Is their product truly superior compared to the giant's?

Last edited by ysss; 2007-09-21 at 05:43.

Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
"Apple is doing a helluva better job bringing incrementally advanced technology to the masses..."

Advanced technology??

Tell me more.....

Lets see, firewire, Newton (you know one of the first real successful pdas), home (affordable) wifi, iPods.

Oh, wait, forgot "One more thing". They are also the largest distributer of Unix in the world.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

Last edited by barry99705; 2007-09-21 at 05:53.

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
If we are looking for a few more reasons to see Apple in an unfavourable light there are a good few reasons here
http://wilshipley.com/blog/2007/09/i...disengage.html

Sample quote "Apple wanted a share of the carrier's profits, which meant giving AT&T an exclusive deal. Which meant, we get screwed so Apple can make more money. It's that simple."

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I personally think the ultimate measure of success for a new idea\invention\technology\product (aka 'thing'), is how many people would want and use it in their life.

Whether a company is involved in the creation, distribution and capitalization of that 'thing', I attribute that to the company's smarts. AFAICT in the current market, especially with the information transparency the internet provides, you can't get by on marketing buzz alone to truly succeed. The market will shoot down stinkers anyway (IE: Foleo, AppleTV, DivX the disc format).

Now.. I think I know the point of view of pro-Linux\opensource people, because I'm one of them. Although I don't 'hate' the 'competitors', because I also need and benefits from their offerings (Macs for my personal life, IBM iSeries and Windows servers at work working w/ Linux boxens, etc)...

Linux users are like Burger Chefs at local gourmet diners. They fix their burgers with love and care, knowing they select the best ingredients and prepare it as best as they can.

Apple is like McDonald. Omnipotent, everywhere, they simplify (dumb-down?) their menu, and they probably have crap inside their food too (which passes FDA). But people still buy McD all the time because it's just good enough for most people's needs and most people have no interest nor intention to go into the kitchen to fix a burger. They have better things to do than that.

The chefs think their burgers are better than McD's, but McD is having all this commercial success. What can they do? Is their product truly superior compared to the giant's?
That is the point. I agree apple products especially the iphone ipod are cool and sexy. But looks matter more than the functions for an ordinary user not for most of the people in this forum because we are more geeks than ordinary users. The interfaces are good but how far will a lone interface take you??
I mean it is good for the initial days and it is cool to show it around to people .... but after the initial honey moon what do you do with them??
There are not many functions to use. Unlike nokia which actually loads its products with loads of fucntions which actually are more useful in the longer run.

I am just frustrated that apple is getting away at pricing things the way it does. I would not mind at all if they priced it reasonably.
CAn you really support that apple always give the bang for the buck??
Give me one example of an apple product which is priced reasonably..... i will stop hating apple. (Not that you really care!!)

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
CAn you really support that apple always give the bang for the buck??
Not always, no, but you only buy something that is worth it to you (well, I do, and I assume most people do). I have just bought an iPod touch, which I love, and I can't find anything else that does what it does for the money. That doesn't mean nothing else does, but I haven't seen it.

Give me one example of an apple product which is priced reasonably..... i will stop hating apple.
No you won't. If you want to hate apple you will hate apple, regardless of whether someone else thinks something is reasonable or not. I have a macbook pro, and my wife has a macbook. I think the pro is a bit too expensive but the macbook was great value for money. However, I was happy to pay for both as they did what I wanted at a price I was prepared to pay, and nothing else did.

Isn't that the idea of reasonable pricing? It was the same reason I used buying my 770 which has proved invaluable in my holiday in the US that I returned from yesterday.
So I now have an iPod touch and a 770. I don't understand why people compare the two though as they are completely different devices for different tasks. I am keeping both.

"I have just bought an iPod touch, which I love, and I can't find anything else that does what it does for the money"

Yeah i agree the touch was priced lot better compared to the other apple products. But seriously do you think an dmp without support for bluetooth headset ..... is that innovation??

And i have never seen apple including an fm tuner just for the sake of it. I feel that they do it purposefully so that more and more people buy more songs from itunes. Come on even the cheapest and smallest chinese mock ups have built in fm tuners.

I know these are small issues .... but apple could have added these.... but they never will because they are apple.