Active Topics

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Well, this donation request is for TM renewal.
As I stated in my first post, you may detail your donation so that if we cannot use your funds for the TM registration we can refund it to you.

Similarily, you can donate to "General Maemo infra maintanance" for example, prohibiting your donation to be used for TM renewal.
Or any other cause you'd like to support.

Just remember to add that bit of information to your donation, we will honor your request of course!
Thanks juiceme, meant that mostly in the way that outside of the fact that 'TM is up for renewal', there doesn't really seem to be any reason to do that. We as a community did not reach the conclusion that we need to register it in the first place and the only reason to dish out the money for TM seems to be: scary things can happen.

edit: which are not even that scary, as per wiki page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unregistered_trademark
we can still take ppl to court and make them stop infringing (though probably we will not get rich that way)
In those jurisdictions with limited protection to unregistered trademark owners, a common law trademark owner's remedies may be limited to injunctive relief (a court order for the defendant to cease and desist the infringement).

Last edited by szopin; 2015-07-02 at 09:14.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
But keep on asking questions, discussing or give information...
Here is one:

Originally Posted by Win7Mac View Post
[B]Costs for renewal of existing TM registration for 3 classes for the EU: ~2.120,- €
What are those classes and do we need all three? If this is for mostly sentimental reason, would dropping to one class for 900€ not suuffice? Any extra funds could be used to purchase the TM in China, for example, to prevent the flood of szopin's Maemo-branded rubber ducks.

Originally Posted by szopin View Post
ppl drop money, but why?
I do not know about others but I did it because I think that owning a TM gives the community a more "official" status. It adds a little more weight in case we need to negotiate a deal with someone: "We are a registered organization and look, we also have a registered Trade Mark!"

It may not be so important for commercial reasons, as you correctly point out, but it is more than just sentiment.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
What are those classes and do we need all three? If this is for mostly sentimental reason, would dropping to one class for 900€ not suuffice? Any extra funds could be used to purchase the TM in China, for example, to prevent the flood of szopin's Maemo-branded rubber ducks.
Classes were listed below:
Classes:
# 9: Computer software tools and libraries used for the development of other software applications; computer software development tools; computer software for creating and managing a computer desktop; computer software for use as a graphical user interface; computer software for word processing, database management, and use as a spreadsheet; computer software for hand-held devices in various fields functioning as a desktop center for storing and entering personal information management data, executing applications and transferring data to hand held devices, and application suites, namely applications for business productivity, personal information management, multimedia content players, multimedia encoders and decoders, and synchronization with desktop PC's for hand held devices.

# 38: Telecommunications.

# 42: Computer software development and maintenance; computer software design; computer programming for others; technical consulting services in the field of computer software; licensing of intellectual property; updating of computer software for others
I'm actually fine with maemo™ , never used maemo®, maybe it does sound more official, no idea (actually it looks corpo-like, yikes, add to that 'with limited liability' and we're through the roof official)

It adds a little more weight in case we need to negotiate a deal with someone: "We are a registered organization and look, we also have a registered Trade Mark!"
Last time we negotiated with someone was with Nokia, and they ended up giving us that TM, surely didn't help them :P

Last edited by szopin; 2015-07-02 at 09:31.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 664 | Thanked: 1,648 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Hamburg
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
What are those classes and do we need all three? ...would dropping to one class for 900€ not suffice?
Unfortunately, for renewal of EU registration, the same costs applies whether you decide to renew 1, 2 or 3 classes.
Current Maemo Community Council member

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Win7Mac For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Would like updates on first post with progress and updates of gathered money.

As well maybe we need to add donation button with percentage of needed money, that would be reset every month. For example if expected to gather 200$ a month (that would be 100%) it will show how % was gathered from 1st of month and will reset every 1st of month to 0 %.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
There is unfortunately not that much time left, iirc in August all TM are already out of 'grace period' (like already happened with US). And that would make everything even more expensive.

Board needed to wait for this announcement as there still the hand-over from HiFo to e.V. and the bank account setup to be finished in advance.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Here's the donation state as of today:

Code:
mysql> 
mysql> select date, account, total_amount from all_donations order by date;
+------------+--------------+--------------+
| date       | account      | total_amount |
| 2015-07-01 | PayPal       |         9.46 |
| 2015-07-01 | PayPal       |           10 |
| 2015-07-01 | PayPal       |           10 |
| 2015-07-01 | PayPal       |           15 |
| 2015-07-01 | Deutsche Bank |        26.82 |
| 2015-07-02 | PayPal       |        19.27 |
| 2015-07-02 | PayPal       |        47.05 |
| 2015-07-02 | Deutsche Bank |          100 |
8 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> select sum(total_amount) from all_donations;
+-------------------+
| sum(total_amount) |
+-------------------+
|             237.6 |
+-------------------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

Last edited by HtheB; 2015-07-03 at 19:09.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
I will donate about the same as soon as I find a friend who can make online transfers (My RL job as a developer is mostly related to bank SW, thus I don't have online banking )
Done (100 EUR)

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
I'll be sending some soon... I'm just waiting for my monthly salary to arrive, because I've gone RED in my bank account. Have to tap into my Savings for a week or two.

By the way, I think Dave999 should pay for most of the money.
He's the one that uses this site more than anyone XD

I'm flattered

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Travelling whole day today, planning to send some money tonight. Will update once it's done.

Update: Already send via PayPal.

Last edited by chenliangchen; 2015-07-03 at 21:19.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemo, trademark