Active Topics

http://operawatch.com/news/2006/06/o...the-works.html

And the Nokia 770 or Nokia 800 ??????

I don't very see the big deal w/ opera9 on 770 or N800. Seriously they both work fine for what it is, I just want the option to change to other fonts/encoding(tis-620) and upgrade flash (read youtube).

Mobile AJAX & Google Docs & Spreadsheets

@Fidibus
exactly.. if AJAX worked better and the Google apps.. that would be great

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Fidibus View Post
Mobile AJAX & Google Docs & Spreadsheets
Google Docs and Spreadsheet do not work with my version of Opera 9. "Unsupported browser".

then only remains this hope - availability for N900

Firefox3: Web Apps Game changer

Posted by Rod in Microsoft, TechBiz, SaaS at 9:47 am on Saturday, 3 February 2007

A session with huuuuge implications first up today from Robert O’Callahan from Mozilla. He’s based in NZ but drives the rendering engine of Mozilla/FireFox. (Aside1: I think that it is completely cool that such a web significant thing is being built from a guys sun room in New Zealand - rocking!)

Firefox3 is going to deliver support for offline applications.

Why is this important? Because when you go offline you will still be able to interact with your applications. So in a webmail scenario, read your mail, write drafts. Web Calendars would work.

More importantly imagine the opportunity for Line of Business Applications. The Browser really does become the Operating System - with persistent storage.

This will allows richer SaaS applications and goes some what towards eliminating the offline scenario issue of web based applications. This makes Web apps even more compelling.

There are of course a bunch of issues, like leaving state on a machine so like all technologies its designing an implementation that works for your application requirements.

The good thing about his being led by Mozilla is that they will push their work out as standards. So the big question becomes what will Microsoft do?

Given the time cycle of Explorer releases MS will be playing catch up (and hopefully use the standards - a wildly optimistic scenario) or they will promote their own standard. What I think is interesting is that offline apps is so compelling for SaaS providers that it is likely SaaS providers will push Firefox as a preferred/mandatory platform for their apps. That would be a very powerful industry force that Microsoft would have to think hard about.

Listening to Robert I felt that we are still early on in Browser evolution. The Browser is the platform.

(Aside2: Mr Google Maps was in the room asking about control of page layout “send me an email and we can fix that” - did what I think just happen - just happen? In a room in Warkworth? While I was in the Room? Is the world this small?)

Current default firefox is too large of an application for the tablets right now. I see no way that this new ff3 will work. I am still searching for a small lightwight browser with the firefox render engine, that uses the default ~./plugins/ structure to test some fancy stuff.. as everyone who has looked before me. I am having no luck :-)