Active Topics

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
That was a general chiding and not meant for you, gerbick... sorry for not making that clear.

I don't know..the iPod Touch looks nice but I am not a fan of carrying too many devices around. That is one reason I don't understand why people buy MP3 players. I have my Nokia 770 and Cingular 8525. Even though I love my 770, it is just so much easier to carry one device. My 8525 can do pretty much everything my 770 can, but it has a smaller screen. I with I could get more use out of my 770.

The iPhones and the iPod Touch have really nice looking operating systems which I wish could be run on my 8525 and 770. But I like the freedom of putting what I want on my device.

Honestly I don't see why anyone would pick the Touch over the iPhone unless you can not afford the iPhone, afford the monthly payment or can not get a contract with At&t..

The 770 and 800 both beat the Apple products with there nice screens though. Nothing compares to it.

I am really hoping the next device from Nokia can be used as an internet tablet and phone because I like having an all in one device..which is why I don't use my 770 as much as I want to. I also hope it has a really pretty OS and large touch screen. A slide down keyboard wouldn't hurt either.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
That was a general chiding and not meant for you, gerbick... sorry for not making that clear.
No probs. Just understand though... as a tinkerer and a two time purchaser of the 770... I could easily end up being seen as pessimistic.

Which, quite honestly is about to happen and it has nothing to do with the iPod Touch. I just feel like I'm part of Nokia's test lab without any regard to what I'd like to honestly see in a product.

But thank goodness the community is active and basically has given me reasons to stay happy.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
As a gadget freak I think the iPhone is cool. Same for the new iPods. I just wonder how much of a market they can have though. Remember, there's no touch feedback from a flat touchscreen, so you have to at least occasionally glance at that iPod Touch to "home" yourself.

But I envision future touchscreens that incorporate piezo and related effects. Imagine that the edges of screen icons have 3d ridges raised automatically around them. Imagine force feedback from a touchscreen (!). I'm betting someone develops those. THAT will be something.

Estimate
  • future developments will cost maximally 200 € // maximum weight 150g // Screen = 800x480 // Flash >= 16 GB // WLAN & UMTS // Open API // very simple control surface
  • priority 1 = user friendly, user friendly, user friendly, user friendly
  • priority 2 = absolutely simple and stable installation (applikation)
  • priority 3 = Browser & Flash state of art & Google Apps (search, email, pm, docs, maps)
  • priority 4 = Photos, Video, Navi, Skype

too many challenges for Nokia and Linux ????

Last edited by Fidibus; 2007-09-07 at 05:56.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I love my N800.

I respect the open source movement, we need it to bring some balance into the system. The development model is very effective for certain class of programs and standards and\but it usually ends up commoditizing the resulting product.

Right now I see the Nokia Internet Tablet as the ultimate mobile toy for the Linux geeks. I think that is sound from the concept (we have an open platform based on linux) to the implementation (you need or will acquire some familiarity with Linux as you use the tablet to its potential) and to the statistisc (I'm pretty sure this is reflected in the consumer demographic, if there's such data available somewhere).

Does any of the above make good business for Nokia? Not right now.
To me, this just seem like an inexpensive experiment in incubating an open platform for future wireless\wimax Nokias.

I think both Nokia and Apple are aiming for the almost exact specific market: next generation mobile digital content delivery platform. Nokia just looking to assist in creating the standard and hopefully supply majority of the hardware, while Apple is being more ambitious with their plans and orchestrating (+ profiting from) more components of their end-to-end solution. Apple deals with the content suppliers (music, video, and soon programs and games), having the content delivery mechanism themselves (iTunes store), and even long term partnerships with the network providers (AT&T, Starbucks).

Strategically, Apple is in such a stronger position than Nokia to control their ecosystem. And as long as they create mutually beneficial conditions in their solution. Here are some interesting possibilities:

- Now they've a content-specific wifi-deal with Starbucks on potentially 4800 hotspots across the U.S. This will only grow larger. Imagine similar deals with 7-11s, Gas stations, Walmarts, etc. (Why on earth would they want this? My next point would be the reason).

- iTunes shop as your iWallet. Use it to pay for location based services (Gas, 7-11 goods, etc).

- When they have sufficient coverage (read: deals) for 'near-free' wifi hotspots, the VOIP client will finally be introduced to the platform. Whether they partner with Skype ($0.05/minute premium maybe?) or they launch their own.

In the meanwhile, the product is quite sellable as-is masking as a multimedia player. It works well as audio video player, browser and digital photo album.

I too have an 8525 and a 770 and am feeling slighted by the lack of continued development of the 770's OS. I too am really hoping to like my 770 more than I do and am trying hard to get more use out of it.
The touch is an interesting device to me, but we shall see. I'd like to see what the hacker community can do with applications.
I don't see the tablet market declining much with this touch release. People I mention mine to have never heard of it (Internet tablet).

Don't be so quick to call the ipod touch a success. Look at all the competition itt has from its own family... nano, classic, iphone... so many choices would confuse a consumer.
still too early to tell.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by iball View Post
Odd. I must be the only American left who never had ADHD.
Of course, having lived in Germany for the last 13 years helps one learn to slow down.
could it be all the sugar in the food?

I have a 770, a 4thG iPod (30gb 'photo') and a Macbook. Going by that information, you might assume that I'm open to Apple's new offerings, but lemme tell you, every one of the new iPods is wrong for me.

The Touch has a screen I refuse to do any surfing or reading on, at that size and resolution. Nor does 16gb fit enough of my music. The iPod classic is excessively large (80gb? I'll never fill half) and the screen is still inadequate for movies, which makes it a waste (i don't need that much real estate just to scroll thru my songs). The nano is redundant if you have a real iPod.

When my current iPod breaks, I'll go looking for a deal on an old iPod (just saw one on sale for $150. I've come to realize that even a color screen on an iPod is a waste, at least for me, because I turn off the backlight the entire time to save the battery, and in that state song names are perfectly readable but you can hardly tell it's a color screen. If you just want to play 30gb of music, what does it matter?).

Last edited by Drewvt; 2007-09-07 at 11:32.