From my experience with the N70 and others with the other Series 60 based machines, I'd hardly call it competition. Embarassment perhaps, competition no.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by andymulhearn View Post
From my experience with the N70 and others with the other Series 60 based machines, I'd hardly call it competition. Embarassment perhaps, competition no.
The Eseries and the Nokia Communicators are defined by more than Series60. Although I have to say wrt the email apps, you've got it backwards, the latest series60v3 devices have a BETTER email app than the 770.

As to the rumored E90 Series60 Communicator, who knows it could be competition, but I think only for those users who don't want to carry both a cellphone and an internet tablet. The historical hindrance to the Communicators was the size. Now that they have gotten a little smaller, WiFi included, and the qwerty form factor has become popular with some users, who knows.

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
The Eseries and the Nokia Communicators are defined by more than Series60. Although I have to say wrt the email apps, you've got it backwards, the latest series60v3 devices have a BETTER email app than the 770.
Well I never mentioned the email app but I'll give you that.

On the rest, the N70 S60 is junk. It may be better on other devices but no one I know who had a N70 or 73 is still using it; mainly because doing things like making and receiving calls seemed to be beyond them.

And the rep I spoke to today when I was looking at replacing my current phone with something with 3G suggested the 6233 was still plagues with problems.

As to the rumored E90 Series60 Communicator, who knows it could be competition, but I think only for those users who don't want to carry both a cellphone and an internet tablet. The historical hindrance to the Communicators was the size. Now that they have gotten a little smaller, WiFi included, and the qwerty form factor has become popular with some users, who knows.
I think the S60 devices have a lot of work to do to catch up with the N800 when it comes to responsiveness but then I admit I am basing that view on a small sample.

Well, the N73 is a decent phone. But getting back on topic, neither the N73 or any of these phones is a competitor to the N800. The E90 may be a competitor though, as it is MUCH different than any other Nokia phone. If the hardware is boosted, it is likely to run faster than the current Series60.

I'm currently using N80 3G-phone (that is S60v3) and it's tremendous. It's simply great. It responds simply perfectly. I haven't still got any little problem with it. Smooth, always.

Nevertheless I also use N770, because N770 actually IS a computer, and N80 is ALMOST a computer (with Java, Basic and Python interpreters, SSH and Telnet clients, besides media players and office applications, and so many others Symbian applications). LINUX deserves the N770, but N80 is just cool...

Salut.
Sebas.

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Europe
The e90 and n800 are for different target markets. (The images are wrong )

Also the e90, when it is announced has a far higher spec than the n800, it includes 3.6mbs HSDPA & GPS & & & & & not to mention that it is a traditional gsm phone.

There is only less than a week to wait for the beast that is the n90

Originally Posted by badger View Post

There is only less than a week to wait for the beast that is the n90
do you mean n90 or e90?

I have a 770, an 800, and an E70, so I have a pretty good perspective. And from that perspective, the proposed E90 will be less powerful, less fun, and a good deal more productive than the 800.

Why? Well, after a year of Maemo development, the built-in email program on the 800 is useless with IMAP. The version of Opera is so quirky that the forums generally recommend Minimo -- but Minimo is so unfinished that a single button press can blow up the whole app. Installing software is much easier with repositories, but the forums are still full of users finding "x component not found" error messages. And I've spent days trying to load SdictReader dictionaries, but can never get the dictionaries to show more than a truncated word list. And then there's the whole "it's not a PDA, so we're not going to include decent contact or calendar software" thread, or the challenges of the handwriting recognition, or...

The E70 has a small screen, a relatively slow UI, and limited-to-non-existent video capabilities. Yet day to day, that's the tool I rely on. It has Wi-Fi and 3G/EDGE, so I always have a connection. The email works acceptably well with my office IMAP server. The browser is ok for on-the-fly browsing, which is what I need it for, and Opera Mini is an even better alternative. It syncs nicely with my Mac. Dictionary software is available from reputable sources, like Collins and Oxford. And the keyboard, while mainly limited to thumbs, is still far better than the 800's on-screen version.

Don't get me wrong -- I love the screen on the 800, and the speed, and I love playing around with it, but for every day use, the E70 works, while, more often than not, the 800 doesn't.

I think Walter Mossberg's review from last year still holds true -- the 800 is a marvelous piece of software that is held back by unfinished software.

As usual, this is an opinion, so I'm sure many of you have wildly divergent views

Charlie

um... should of course be "a marvelous piece of HARDWARE..."