Notices

Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
[edit: colin.stephane has uploaded vfu version 4.10 to extras-devel [2] just some hours after I wrote this post. To prevent parallel development please use his packages instead of mine. I'll just keep my packages online for reference.]

Hi,

I like to use the CLI on my N900. But on the other hand I like easy navigation via a file manager. This is why I've always liked mc.
Unfortunately the small display limits the usefulness of two windows. So I looked for a CLI file manager without two windows and I found vfu [1]. I took the Debian Lenny armel package and the libpcre3 package it depends on, optified them, messed a bit with the dependencies (some of the libs in Freemantle 1.3 are even older than in Lenny ) and installed both on my N900. I didn't do much testing but it seems to work fine (despite of the older libs in Maemo).

I attached the two deb files in a tar.gz archive. Feel free to do with it whatever you want (as long as it's GPL compliant).
I don't have much experience with vfu so far. So please don't ask me any specific questions! But I'd like to see some suggestions for customized vfu.conf files. The only thing I did was to change the default editor from joe to nano.

btw: You should have Esc mapped somewhere on your keyboard, otherwise you'll get stuck in vfu sooner or later.

[1] http://cade.datamax.bg/vfu/
[2] http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=79563
Attached Files
File Type: gz vfu.tar.gz (369.3 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by sulu; 2011-10-31 at 18:55.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 565 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Nevinnomyssk
can we wait it in extras(-devel\testing) ?
attach sources plz(if it's not version from official svn\git ? )

Originally Posted by bonapart View Post
I don't have a garage account and I'm not going to create one anytime soon. So there won't be a vfu package from me in extras whatever. If you'd like to adopt the package feel free to do it! Actually I'd like to see someone bring vfu to extras.

I did no changes to the binaries. All I did were some minor changes to the Debian control file to get the dependencies right for Maemo and to change the folder structure inside the packages to optify them. So there are no changes to the source code at all. The packages I uploaded have the same code like the Debian Lenny packages:
http://packages.debian.org/lenny/vfu
http://packages.debian.org/lenny/libpcre3

The Following User Says Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 458 | Thanked: 783 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ France
Hi,

Just passed here, reading and give it a try ...

Finally : [announce] VFU ...

Hope it help ...

A++

@colin.stephane:
I just tried yur packages. And they seem to work as well as mine. So we should use yours.
However, I noticed that you still have joe as the default external editor in your vfu.conf. Since most users won't have that editor installed I'd suggest to change it to nano.

Posts: 458 | Thanked: 783 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ France
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
@colin.stephane:
I just tried yur packages. And they seem to work as well as mine. So we should use yours.
However, I noticed that you still have joe as the default external editor in your vfu.conf. Since most users won't have that editor installed I'd suggest to change it to nano.
Done :

vfu (4.10-1maemo2) unstable; urgency=low

* Set nano as default editor ...

-- COLIN Stephane <colin.stephane@ovi.com> Mon, 31 Oct 2011 20:21:07 +0100
A++

The Following User Says Thank You to colin.stephane For This Useful Post: