Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Sure, will end up as Gates with 640kb... then again why not, I like Porsche
I like my Porsche too!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

szopin, don't You realize that all "let's buy it from Nokia or hire people to reverse engineer it" ideas are so expensive, that it's cheaper to design our own, 100% open device from scratch (with possibility of using existing open or mostly open devices as implementation references).

BTW, starting with less than 1GB of RAM is not worth the effort - seriously. Yet, it is totally off-topic here.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
all this hardware seeking is exactly why i think NOKIA is Maemo's only chance
traditional GNU/Linux distros don't have that problem as they are running on a standard PC, as they are sold by 100s of thousands every day.
even a small project like Trinity Desktop Environment (the continuation of KDE 3.5.10 since KDE upgraded to KDE 4) can survive, only with one dedicated coordinator, a bunch of ppl helping directly and the open source community contributing... they know for 100% sure TDE will run on a standard PC, even with proprietary video card, as long as they remain in line with the x86 / x86_64 architecture.
this simply does not exist for mobiles or Internet Tablets, alas.
thus the dependance upon a manufacturer, in Maemo's case NOKIA.
for the better or the worse

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
When can I vote?

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
szopin, don't You realize that all "let's buy it from Nokia or hire people to reverse engineer it" ideas are so expensive, that it's cheaper to design our own, 100% open device from scratch (with possibility of using existing open or mostly open devices as implementation references).

BTW, starting with less than 1GB of RAM is not worth the effort - seriously. Yet, it is totally off-topic here.

/Estel
We're at the point where it's clearly true that you might as well go onto more open hardware ANYWHERE else with a new non-Maemo but Linux-based OS. Possibly something more Debian-like than Maemo was allowed to be.

Originally Posted by misterc View Post
all this hardware seeking is exactly why i think NOKIA is Maemo's only chance
traditional GNU/Linux distros don't have that problem as they are running on a standard PC, as they are sold by 100s of thousands every day.
even a small project like Trinity Desktop Environment (the continuation of KDE 3.5.10 since KDE upgraded to KDE 4) can survive, only with one dedicated coordinator, a bunch of ppl helping directly and the open source community contributing... they know for 100% sure TDE will run on a standard PC, even with proprietary video card, as long as they remain in line with the x86 / x86_64 architecture.
this simply does not exist for mobiles or Internet Tablets, alas.
thus the dependance upon a manufacturer, in Maemo's case NOKIA.
for the better or the worse
This is why I'm particularly disappointed in Maemo! I was sold a device that was advertised over, and over as being OPEN SOURCE based and LINUX based... and the 'based' part was used as scamming term to protect themselves from the very OPEN SOURCE communities they were trying to attract into their platform instead of using it as a true BASIS for open-sourcing. Nokia bragged about how much they participated in kernel development and bragged a LOT about openness but, ultimately, they've proven to be an incredibly disappointing affair.

Once again, you saw the reply from Nokia-proper: Too bad.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Estel View Post

SD69, could You finally accept nomination? Pleeease?
Right now, there are 4 valid candidates so if I accepted there would be 5 candidates and no vote. I think it would be best if Arie or Nieldk linked their tmo account to their maemo.org account so they would meet the karma criterion and then we can have a vote.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
I think it would be best if Arie or Nieldk linked their tmo account to their maemo.org account so they would meet the karma criterion and then we can have a vote.
I wonder how often karma is updated. Arie linked his talk account yesterday but it's not reflected yet.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
When can I vote?
You can vote once you have received your token to vote via email, plus once elections have started.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Andre Klapper View Post
I wonder how often karma is updated. Arie linked his talk account yesterday but it's not reflected yet.
It takes a couple of days usually.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
[...]

This is why I'm particularly disappointed in Maemo! I was sold a device that was advertised over, and over as being OPEN SOURCE based and LINUX based... and the 'based' part was used as scamming term to protect themselves from the very OPEN SOURCE communities they were trying to attract into their platform instead of using it as a true BASIS for open-sourcing. Nokia bragged about how much they participated in kernel development and bragged a LOT about openness but, ultimately, they've proven to be an incredibly disappointing affair.
what did you expect from NOKIA?
that they designed a graphic chip & a SOC & build and manufacture them?
even IBM in their heydays (PS/2 & OS/2 times) didn't manufacture everything themselves (for the PS/2 or for the PC & AT before that)
and in the last years before they liquidated the PC business, they were using parts from others, ATI, Intel & all.
in fact Intel is one of the notable exception among hardware manufacturer which provides open-source compliant code to the kernel team; except, there too, for those components (Wireless chips come to mind) where they used 3rd party components which are not OSS conform.

long story short.
NOKIA did as good a job they could making Maemo (& the devices on which it runs) as open-source compliant as they could.

if the Council is going to aim at getting code & what not from NOKIA, they are going to hit a wall, like all the Councils (members) who tried it before.

period.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Once again, you saw the reply from Nokia-proper: Too bad.
don't copy that

Tags
council, election, incommunicado, winding down