Active Topics

Posts: 43 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Hong Kong
in Hong Kong, nokia hasnt confirmed n900 availability but selling n810 at 1700HKD (220USD).

good deal? but what for?

Posts: 245 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Bad Homburg, Deutschland
Not a bad deal IMHO. Buy it if you don't plan, or don't have the possibility to buy N900 (or it's too expensive for you). What for? It is still a good device, lacking only GSM module. I use mine daily.

Wait, they're still selling n810's? Hmm, might have to hunt one down to replace my currently dying one. Because I plan to keep using n810's until I can't get them anymore.

220USD???????

WAYYYYY TOOOO EXPENSIVE!!!!

Max I would pay for an N810 now would be about £50, they can be easily bought on ebay for around £100 about 6-8 months ago

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Only you can answer the question about whether an N810 is worth it to you. Look at this threadhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=44285 to see what others are doing with their's.

I personally use mine daily, for Music, video, and pod/video/cast playing, browsing, twitter, navigation, mapping, email, IM chat.

lol. I think gazza_d wins this argument.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Raiden For This Useful Post:
Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
Wait, they're still selling n810's? Hmm, might have to hunt one down to replace my currently dying one. Because I plan to keep using n810's until I can't get them anymore.
That was the reason I have two of them in the house.

Posts: 154 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by nowave7 View Post
..... lacking only GSM module.
I keep finding myself in places where a phone gets a good GSM signal if it is held against the window, but not inside the room. When I use a computer, I want to sit at a table, not contort myself holding the computer against a window. Tethering is better than having a GSM module. The phone can be propped up in a window, computer on the table.

There are other reasons for preferring a separate phone. To be useful, a phone has to be out where you can grab it, wherever you are. That exposes it to possible theft or damage. I don't know about anyone else, but I wouldn't put my computer at risk that way if I could avoid it. Also, PDA-like phones are just too darned big. (For some people, that is a reason to have them. Like shoes with 6-inch heels.)

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
I got a great deal on a used N810 for $150. Even though I paid full whack for a N800 when it was first available and now have an N900, I use the N810 every day and it is semi-permanently mounted in my car. Best gadget bucks to hours used ratio I ever had.

With used ones be prepared to shell out for a new battery. Most are rapidly approaching their EOL.

SLN member # 009

Posts: 245 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Bad Homburg, Deutschland
Originally Posted by scaler View Post
I keep finding myself in places where a phone gets a good GSM signal if it is held against the window, but not inside the room. When I use a computer, I want to sit at a table, not contort myself holding the computer against a window. Tethering is better than having a GSM module. The phone can be propped up in a window, computer on the table.

There are other reasons for preferring a separate phone. To be useful, a phone has to be out where you can grab it, wherever you are. That exposes it to possible theft or damage. I don't know about anyone else, but I wouldn't put my computer at risk that way if I could avoid it. Also, PDA-like phones are just too darned big. (For some people, that is a reason to have them. Like shoes with 6-inch heels.)
I was just comparing the N810 to N900. The only major difference in terms of usability is the GSM module, at least the way I see it.